Yesterday i was offered to be a bassist in this band and like im not one but i play guitar. They asked me to practice a bit and sutff then try out for an audition soon...now i need something that can impress them a bit but i dont quite now what i can play to impress them. Their influences are metallica,children of bodom,maiden and mostly anything to do with metal. Any suggestions?
Gear:

Guitars:
ESP Ltd Ex-50
Jackson DK2M(Coming Soon)
Amp:
Laney Mxd120
Accessories:
Digitech Rp100 Effects Pedal
To be honest, I don't like guitarists thinking they can pick up a bass and be a bassist. My advice would be to offer your services as a guitarist because you're not going to be a a bassist to any decent level for a while, and it'll become obvious pretty fast.
Quote by smb
To be honest, I don't like guitarists thinking they can pick up a bass and be a bassist. My advice would be to offer your services as a guitarist because you're not going to be a a bassist to any decent level for a while, and it'll become obvious pretty fast.

Ditto

Master Of Puppets should impress em
Quote by smb

im not saying im gonna be a perfect bassist but at least like cover until they find a better one than me. And im not saying bass is easy cause ive tried playing and i find it as competitive as playing guitar.
Gear:

Guitars:
ESP Ltd Ex-50
Amp:
Laney Mxd120
Accessories:
learn some famous metallica songs master of puppets, four horseman but to really impress them play the anesthaesia pulling teeth bass solo(it has wah but will sound good even without it)
Quote by smb

I agree... You just cant learn playing, Iron Maiden and Metallica, bass in a few days or weeks... Its not that easy...

First of all, you are not going to play fast enough, you could use a pick, but that would be like spitting in Steve's Cliff's face, and it will sound like crap to, because those bands dont use picks. It will properly take a while before you get used to using your fingers, and the much bigger fret-board.

Secondly, you dont really seem to know very much about it, since you think you can learn Maiden and Metallica in a few days, so you are properly not even a gifted guitarist either... But if you are, why the **** would you give up your instrument just to play in a band?

To conclude, no you cant... Play your guitar...
Who said anything about giving up my guitar to play bass in a band? I also dont see anything wrong with using a pick newsted used to play sometimes with a pick and also shavo from soad. And im not expecting to learn whole songs or anything just a couple of bits from songs to show them a bit that I have a little concept on the bass
Gear:

Guitars:
ESP Ltd Ex-50
Amp:
Laney Mxd120
Accessories:
Then again, Pepper Keenan auditioned for Metallica's bass spot, and they almost picked him. Isn't he the guitar player for Corrosion of Conformity?

But anyway, I think it was a lame move on their part. However, the second last song of the Black album (I forget the name right now) by Metallica is a good one to show off.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Another question my friend is gonna lend me his bass cause he doesnt play it much...can i run the bass through my guitar amp? or does he have to lend me his amp as well?
My amp is a LaneyMXD120 if its any help
Gear:

Guitars:
ESP Ltd Ex-50
Amp:
Laney Mxd120
Accessories:
Quote by Robot666
Another question my friend is gonna lend me his bass cause he doesnt play it much...can i run the bass through my guitar amp? or does he have to lend me his amp as well?
My amp is a LaneyMXD120 if its any help

In three words

Dont do it!
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Look bro, forget about "impressing" someone with a bass. It's hard enough for real bass players to do that. Just say you are not a bass player, so you're sorry but you cant play in their band. If someone asked me to be a lead guitar player, i wouldnt try and quickly learn fade to black and bust it to them. And even if you do impress them with one song, what are you going to do next?

Unless they want a root/5th player, i'd nip the idea in the bud, bud!

Peace
x
you could try learning "My Friend of Misery" by Metallica, its pretty easy and Jason uses a pick so yeah.

I learnt For Whom The Bell Tolls pretty quickly too, and i use a pick so that would be a good one too i guess.
Hello
if your a good guitar player and you use a pick you shouldn't have much trouble.. It will take a few day to get used to the fatter strings and bigger finger board if you've never played a bass before. But if you practice playing 2 hours a day youll be fine. If you know anything about music you shouldnt be worried because you should know what a bassline should sound like. Always start with the root note..timing should help you out when you want to add a little flavor to your bassline..if all else fails just ride the root notes. To be able to play bass with you're fingers will take a lot longer it's easy so I suggest just using a pick for now.

I don't understand why you guys are turning him off to playing bass.... It's good to know atleast a little something about every instrument in a rock band setting (since thats what it looks like your mainly into)
Quote by Lockstepgone999
I don't understand why you guys are turning him off to playing bass.... It's good to know atleast a little something about every instrument in a rock band setting (since thats what it looks like your mainly into)

No-one is saying "don't play bass". I think it's great to understand every instrument you need to deal with to best use that instrument. However, it is naive and arrogant of a guitarist to think they can just pick up a bass and be a bassist.
dude look just tell them no, if you play the guitar then find a band that needs a guitar player

I look at it like this. When you decided to play an instrument, you made a choice. Whether that guitar, bass, or drums you need to stick to that mainly. I made the choice to play bass because I like that its fun to play, I enjoy making the ground shake when I play, and also its a huge perk that bass players are almost always wanted in any band because most people just don't play it. Bass is an amazing instrument to be able to play but it takes as long to learn properly as it does guitar and even longer if you want to play more advance things like pop and slap.

if you want to play bass then fine, but put time and dedication into it and play it because you want to play it
its not impossible for guitar players to play bass. if u want to do it then do it. its ur life. it might be hard for u at first, or it might be the instrument you were meant to play. people appeal to instruments in differnt ways. who knows u might actually wanna play the sax instead oneday.

as for it goes for "impressing," i'd avoidt eh sucking up approach by playing what they like. instead, do what most bands /should/ be doing during auditions, and just jam. improv jam w/e, but jam. test a person's ability to hear each other and find something that matches, and on the spot at that. this will test nearly every aspect of musicianship. theory, ear, rhythm, creativity.

so if u want to impress them, learn what it takes to jam along well.

and ya know what. ppl play more than 1 isntrument, look at dave grohl. he started a drummer for nirvana, he ended vocals and guitar for foo fighters. hell he probably writes the basslines too. it is NOT impossible to stray from an instrument and excel at another.
Quote by smb
No-one is saying "don't play bass". I think it's great to understand every instrument you need to deal with to best use that instrument. However, it is naive and arrogant of a guitarist to think they can just pick up a bass and be a bassist.

Smb i strongly agree with u should be able to understand every instrument. But ya u jus cant pick up the bass and expect to think its that ezy. Ide like to see u pick a bass and play some RHCP shit and tell me if that impresses them. But anyways try godzilla.It has a fairly ezy bass solo.
sounds stupid, dont claim you play an instrument you dont play

just ask them if they need another guitarist
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
I don't know about them, but you could impress me by being a guitarist that could play bass in time.

Just learn a song that they play. who would be impressed if you showed up to audition with a bunch of songs that you aren't going to be doing? call and ask them to tell you what songs you'll be doing.
If I am a good enough bass player in this life, my wish is that the great creator will appoint me in the afterlife as an avenging angel who goes after guitar players who think they can take up bass;

1)because its so easy,
2)because the band already has a lead guitarist and they think the way to get a bass player its to demote one of their guitar players to bass
3) guitar players who think they can cheap on equipment and play through their already owned guitar amplification systems.

Ok seriously, don't play bass because you have to, but because you want to. You can't cram to be a good bass player in a short time, esp for the type of music the band is leaning towards. I play guitar, but I would never call myself a "guitarist", nor inflict my lack of experience and commitment to guitar on my fellow band members.

Your decision here is what is more important: playing an instrument you really love or being in this band. Myself, I rather play an instrument I was good at and really loved, but the choice is yours.
Nicely Written Anarkee

I agree with every word.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
I told them to find someone else cause i tried playing my friends bass and (no offence) i didnt really like it and i dont think its my instrument so ill stick to the guitar. And sorry if i offended anyone by saying that bass is easy and thinkin i would pick it up easily cause it aint easy.
Gear:

Guitars:
ESP Ltd Ex-50
Amp:
Laney Mxd120
Accessories:
wow, those guysmust think bass isnt an instrument, slap hem for me please.

Then ask if you can play guitar.
Quote by anarkee
If I am a good enough bass player in this life, my wish is that the great creator will appoint me in the afterlife as an avenging angel who goes after guitar players who think they can take up bass;

1)because its so easy,
2)because the band already has a lead guitarist and they think the way to get a bass player its to demote one of their guitar players to bass
3) guitar players who think they can cheap on equipment and play through their already owned guitar amplification systems.

Ok seriously, don't play bass because you have to, but because you want to. You can't cram to be a good bass player in a short time, esp for the type of music the band is leaning towards. I play guitar, but I would never call myself a "guitarist", nor inflict my lack of experience and commitment to guitar on my fellow band members.

Your decision here is what is more important: playing an instrument you really love or being in this band. Myself, I rather play an instrument I was good at and really loved, but the choice is yours.

Excellent . I'd say "Love the instrument, not the spotlight"
If you want to presue playing Bass, not not to jsut have the ability to say "LOL LOOK AT ME I ARE IN A BAND LOL WANA ****?", then yes go for it.
Though get a Bass and a REAL BAss amp pushing atleast 100W

And expect to just play metallica-type roots for a GOOD long time. And when you actually do start geting good, expect the rest of the band to be confrontational about "LOL CHANGING SOUNDS", because remember, change is bad!