so yesterday i was chicking out amps in the 500 dollar range with my Schecter C1. I decided to plug it into a Vox Valvetronix and turned it on the numetal setting, turned the gain and bass all the way up and scooped the eq a bit and i was very impressed, probibally the best sounding metalcore i've heard out of a solid state amp. Am i jsut psycho or are they not that bad. I palyed it for about an hour and got great august burs red tones out of it and such, it seemed to handle drop C well. Im pushed for time but i'll be back on later.
well I have one and it actually has a tube in it just one it's in the preamp. and the amp is amazing my friend got a 500 dollar peavy all tube amp and you can't the difference from mine and his. oh and I got the 50watt and trust me it wakes up the whole neghboorhood. I can play all types of music on. and it has a like wattage seletor thing so you push the tube without making your ears bleed.
Quote by okiedokie
well I have one and it actually has a tube in it just one it's in the preamp. and the amp is amazing my friend got a 500 dollar peavy all tube amp and you can't the difference from mine and his.

I simply don't believe that.

Granted I've never heard the Peavey but I've played through a valvetronix and I couldn't get it to sound anything like my tube amp. To my ears I couldn't tell the difference between the valvetronix and any other solid state. It still had that 'tranny' tone to it, no matter what the setting.
theres another post on the Vox i just answered and i have to side with it again, its totally versatile, 5 different types of crunch on it with a natural amp tone or amp preset tone and effects and a tap feature so u can set the timing of the effect, only problem is when u change the amp preset the volume and gain is preset as well so u have tweak them again to get the sound back to where u want it... good bargain for only $550Can
I have a VOX and let me tell you, the thing is incredible. It is a tube amp. I'm blown away by it's versitility. Since I got it I haven't stopped playing.
i know it's not a tube amp, but im looking for a 2X12 and still want it to be versible and gigable. Im not real sure about buying an used amp yet, i still want to be reliable and a friend of mine owns a shop that carries them. I played the peavey valvekings for an extended amount of time and i couldn't get the sound i wanted out of them. However i was impressed with the Vox, i played it for about an hour the other day and was very impressed. I didn't believe i could get a real good hardcore soudn out of it, but i did. I cranked it and it sounded really good. I also love the built in effects and everything, considering right now im not in a band situtaion and playing through practice amps or my friends line 6 spider (for gigging only). I want to keep it versital incase i end up playing in a punk band, an emo band, an indie band, a hardcore band? I really dont know what im going for musically but this amp had almost all the sounds i wanted.
Quote by pacoasterrider
i know it's not a tube amp, but im looking for a 2X12 and still want it to be versible and gigable. Im not real sure about buying an used amp yet, i still want to be reliable and a friend of mine owns a shop that carries them. I played the peavey valvekings for an extended amount of time and i couldn't get the sound i wanted out of them. However i was impressed with the Vox, i played it for about an hour the other day and was very impressed. I didn't believe i could get a real good hardcore soudn out of it, but i did. I cranked it and it sounded really good. I also love the built in effects and everything, considering right now im not in a band situtaion and playing through practice amps or my friends line 6 spider (for gigging only). I want to keep it versital incase i end up playing in a punk band, an emo band, an indie band, a hardcore band? I really dont know what im going for musically but this amp had almost all the sounds i wanted.

It says it's a valve amp in the instruction box. Maybe they make more than one kind? Valve's are tubes right?
Valvetronix's are NOT tube amps, they are hybrids with a single tube added in the preamp. mOst say that is mostly a marketing ploy. However, I do think that they sound pretty good.
Brad

Black Schecter Omen 6
Mitchell MD-100S Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112 with JJ's and V30
Roland Micro Cube
Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde
Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ
*Soon to Come*
Jackson USA SL2H
Peavey 6505+
Quote by Xeroxed
Valvetronix's are NOT tube amps, they are hybrids with a single tube added in the preamp. mOst say that is mostly a marketing ploy. However, I do think that they sound pretty good.

Okay... you sound angry. Take a deep breath.
^ actually it has a preamp tube in the power amp stage but yeah it's a hybrid not a tube amp.
buying a used tube amp will give you so much more bang for your buck than a 500 dollar SS amp. just because it doesn't have effects that doesn't mean it isn't versatile. i'm not trying to be an ass or anything but my 25 watt tube 112 will destroy any 50 watt and most 100 watt SS amps.
gibson sg
ltd ex-250 w/ emg 81/85
danelectro piece of crap
boogie mark III simul head (purple stripe)
boogie DC-5 112 (FS)
all tube peavey bravo 112
Nah, don't worry man, I just wanted to say that it's hybrid and not tube. If the TS likes it he shoud get it, but soybomb's right, a 25 watt tube would be better. You could get an all tube 60 wattB-52 combo for about $550 at GC and they seem to get a good review. Hope this helps.
Brad

Black Schecter Omen 6
Mitchell MD-100S Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112 with JJ's and V30
Roland Micro Cube
Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde
Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ
*Soon to Come*
Jackson USA SL2H
Peavey 6505+
i wasn't to impressed with the B-52, i dont know why i just didn't really like the distortion i could get out of it, mabye i should check it out for a longer time but i wasn't over-impressed with it. I could get ahold of the Vox Brand new for under 500 bucks american. Even tho it's a solid state i still like it for what i need right now.
Quote by pacoasterrider
i wasn't to impressed with the B-52, i dont know why i just didn't really like the distortion i could get out of it, mabye i should check it out for a longer time but i wasn't over-impressed with it. I could get ahold of the Vox Brand new for under 500 bucks american. Even tho it's a solid state i still like it for what i need right now.

It's got lovely distortion. As long as you were on the right channel?
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy