Hello!

Could anyone please explain to me the tuning (how to use it) or point me to an article.

Basically, I know Drop D makes these power chords (2-3, 3-5 etc.) -> this (2-2, 3-3, 5-5), and it's pretty cool!

But what about Drop C? Why is it used? How do you play heavy music with it? What power chord shapes do you use? And do you have to kind of re-learn all the scales (because the notes are different) and open chords?

Finally, do you need to increase the gauge of your strings, since you're tuning waaaay down?

Thank you! Any help is greatly appreciated!
for rent
the same as drop D but everything is one tone lower. Killswitch use it.
Sounds really heavy.

I can get away with 10-52 strings for dropped C.
C G C F A D
you play it the same way you would drop d just bar a fret and you got a chord.
IT maked a more heavy sound and i tune even lower then that with 9's so you dont really need thick strings just try it..
But dont try it if you have a lockin trem..
It is the same as Drop-D except another Step down, and it is advised that you increase the gauge of the strings... i have also been told that you should have a Barritione for it, but i have no problem with it on a 24" scale
You're not jus detuning the lowest string your detuning all of them btw.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
Yes, thank you very much. Just tried it. Even though 9's are a bit too thin for this, it, quite frankly, ****ING ROCKS! My neighbours are sure gonna enjoy Drop C... I mean, they already complained about Drop D, but now they're gonna beg me to retune to it.

Hehe, thanks guys! Awesome messageboard!
for rent
you play drop C the same its just lower, lots of metal bands use it, especially system of a down, i myself also use it
Ibanez RG321
Ibanez RG220
Member of UG's HATECREW
C standard > drop C

only thing i like about drop tunings is if i'm actually playing in the key that the 6th string is set to. for drop D it'd be d minor or d locrian or something.

it's just nice to be able to have a 5th chord on the open two bottoms and have your fingers up at much higher frets doing wierd shit like 9ths and minor 2nds and all that evil stuff.

but most of the time it's standard tunings for me. E, Eb, D, Db, C, B... whatver. but then again, i play seven strings and even in E standard my low note is lower than your dropped C. i can use a capo to get up to C standard hahaha.
DETHKLOK RULZ!
yeah, we play drop C a lot in my band. I recently went to change out my strings for .12's. HUGE difference. Not really that bad... but man it's just to thick for me. The Ernie Ball .11's are the t!ts for playing CGCFAD. Really thick with a bite to it. So I'm getting two of the three switched back to .11's. Check 'em out.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
you do need thicker strings to play lower tunings, and you should really have your intonation set up for just that tuning.

but for the love of god stop playing ernie balls. they rot in the paper for months if not years before you get them.

play DR's. if you can't find DR's play d'addarios.
DETHKLOK RULZ!
I actually have a set of Ernie Balls (a pun, innit?) and D-Addarios waiting to be used, so which one do you recommend for really evil heavy shit? Thanks!

Both are 9's, sadly...
for rent
Hey, and can I use a capo to bring it back to Standard tuning for open chords?! Please help!
for rent
string brands are not about heavyness. gauge and composition do have something to do with it.

the higher the gauge, and the higher the steel content, the higher the output of the strings will be.

the higher the gauge, the more round and fat your tone will be.

the higher the gauge, the more tension you must put on the string in order to get it to the same pitch as the lower gauges.

more tension = better sustain, but harder to fret and bend.

what IS important about string brands is QUALITY OF CONSRUCTION. ernie ball, ghs, d'addarios, most of the common brands are all mass produced --- spun off a machine. the core is not stretched before they are wound, so when you put them on a guitar and bring them to tune they pull flat because the core stretches and loosens the string.

DR and rotosound are hand made. DR stretches the core out on a fixture to the tension it will be at on a guitar, THEN winds the wrap on it. when you put a fresh set of DR's on they will not pull flat, they feel right at home on your guitar. and since they don't warp and stretch like normal strings, they last longer.

if you can't find DR's or don't wanna pay for rotosounds (DR's are usually only a buck more than d'addarios or ernie balls, rotos are a bit pricey), then buy d'addarios. d'addario sucks all the air out of their plastic packaging so that the strings will not corrode in the box.

ernie balls and ghs and other such strings in paper slips and no shrink wrap, since they are produced in such gigantic quantities, will sit in the box in the warehouse, then in the store on the shelf, for MONTHS if not YEARS before you buy them.
DETHKLOK RULZ!
^Yeah, I kinda noticed that too. BTW where in Michigan do you find DR strings?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Rotosound is the British brand, right? They are used by all these British bands, like FF etc.? Or am I mistaking them for something else?
for rent
Quote by Gakusey
Rotosound is the British brand, right? They are used by all these British bands, like FF etc.? Or am I mistaking them for something else?

yep, rotosound strings are made in england. less expensive over in europe than in the states.

guitar center carries both DR and rotosound, and i've seen them a lot at music-go-round too.
DETHKLOK RULZ!