Just went and saw the Billy Talent show last night in London Ontario with Rise Agaisnt and "Moneen" (whoever that is) as openers. Anti Flag was supposed to play too but I guess they canceled because a family memeber died. It was pretty rad other than the thousands of 12 year olds who clog the pit. either way it was the last show of a 6 month tour so they were mega pumped....just figured id comment on it
^^ Seeing them on the 17th at the Brixton academy!!!!!!!!

They certainly are busy they got a months euro tour starting on the 17th feb
-----(\__/)-----
------(0--0)-----
-----=\0/=-----

FIGHT THE BAN

SAVE OUR LAMBS
wrong forum dizzle.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
Quote by Adam_Harrison9
Yeah, 'cos if they're not punk what else are they? God you're such close-minded ****s.

No, they're just not punk bands. Those are all pop-rock bands, I still don't understand how people can even attempt to argue that Rise Against are punk.
pop=popular...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

i know, im just saying that pop doesn't necessarily have to have a sound type tagged to it since the name means popular. and when we say rise against is pop rock, that doesn't mean that we mean the sound that usually classifys pop tunes, we mean it's just popular.

edit: o you were talking to adam...ic
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Quote by TheAdict310
Fat Wreck is usually pop-punk.

The KEY WORD in this sentence happens to be.... USUALLY. So why are people bitching about bands getting popular? If you're a fan of one band, you tend to want other people to listen to them, therefore you promote them, which is what a lot of people do on here. Then they bitch when a band becomes popular. I just don't ****in understand it.
They're not punk. First of all, they don't sound like punk. They aren't harsh-sounding or thought-provoking like punk. They have significant airtime on MTV and VH1 on MTV, unlike punk. The cheerleaders at my school listen to them and call them punk, just like they do Fall Out Boy and MCR. None of the bands have anything to do with the underground. And they just sound like straight up pop-rock. They don't even deserve the title pop-punk, because that belongs to bands like Descendents, the Ramones, Screeching Weasel, etc. They're pop-rock, because they sound really no different from Fall Out Boy and all those other bullshit "emo" bands out there today.
I think Rise Against is pretty punk. Except their new album. And I still like them.
"This shit here's called Death"
"What the fuck? You mean I'm gonna hit this shit and die?"
"No Nigga! I said Deaf. You hit this and you aint gonna hear shit!"
I'm gonna agree with MattTheArsonist. Thanks for typing what I would've had to.

Rise Against not being punk doesn't make them bad, I just don't like them.
Rise Against is considered Punk.
They're on the list of punk bands on this forum. They're mordern punk, they're not like Minor Thread, Black Flag, D.I. or anything but if Rise Against is not punk then even bands like Ramones, Anti-flag are not punk!

God, you punk heads are so close minded!! For you guys anything outside the fast trashy 70-80's punk is not punk at all!!!

I think Rise Against's songs are politically motivated, they have a lot of energy and power in their music. They are not trashy, they made it to the mainstream. By not staying underground and making it into mainstream they have made themselves heard to a wider range of listeners who have accepted their message and they are a more influential band than any other underground "punk" band nowdays!!! If that doesnt make them punk, then punk is dead!!!
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Feb 10, 2007,
that is stupid. punk must be dead then...

you don't have to be thrashy to be punk. the first punk bands like new york dolls and mc5 were not thrashy at all, and later on hardcore punk bands of the eighties started out on the lighter punk side then became more hardcore; ie dead kennedys and black flag.

second we don't only listen to 70's and 80's punk. we just hate crappy pop shit that is overplayed on mtv and the radio and sucking the dicks of conservative corporate sluts of clear channel and other monopolies that have their hands wrist deep in money. They are not influential, they just flat out suck.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Quote by af_the_fragile
Rise Against is considered Punk.
They're on the list of punk bands on this forum. They're mordern punk, they're not like Minor Thread, Black Flag, D.I. or anything but if Rise Against is not punk then even bands like Ramones, Anti-flag are not punk!

God, you punk heads are so close minded!! For you guys anything outside the fast trashy 70-80's punk is not punk at all!!!

I think Rise Against's songs are politically motivated, they have a lot of energy and power in their music. They are not trashy, they made it to the mainstream. By not staying underground and making it into mainstream they have made themselves heard to a wider range of listeners who have accepted their message and they are a more influential band than any other underground "punk" band nowdays!!! If that doesnt make them punk, then punk is dead!!!

Punk is dead, then. Because you're an idiot. I'm not being close-minded. You're just being dense. There are plenty of modern bands out there that qualify as punk. Rise Against and Billy Talent don't, though. I don't understand how you could listen to a Black Flag song and then listen to a Rise Against song and say they have anything to do with each other. Rise Against is a stupid pre-teen pop-rock band. You've obviously never heard real punk music if you think those bands are punk. It doesn't matter whether or not they're political in the lyrics, the fact is they're just not punk. They don't have punk ideals, they have an uber-slick, overproduced sound, and the cheerleaders at my school listen to them. So there.
That means Rise Against are not punk just cuz they are played on MTV? MTV doesnt even play then that often and i never herd them on the radio. That even means Ramones are not punk! They're played on mtv and the radio more than rise against and i know more girls who listen to ramones more than rise against.

You're an idiot if you think bands that get signed and produced are not punk! Rise Against's sound is not that highly produced anyway. I dont find a big difference between Black Flag and Rise Against. Only difference is Rise Agsint is better produced so the sound is more softer and clear. Rise Against's music is as aggressive and has as much energy as Black Flag's music. I think you need to listen to Rise Against more before you can make any sweeping commets about them.
Quote by af_the_fragile
That means Rise Against are not punk just cuz they are played on MTV? MTV doesnt even play then that often and i never herd them on the radio. That even means Ramones are not punk! They're played on mtv and the radio more than rise against and i know more girls who listen to ramones more than rise against.

"Swing Life Away" got a ridiculous amount of radio airplay
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
swing life away was a soft acoustic song unlike the other songs by them. I never herd any rise against on radio here in ireland anyway and getting radio airplay changes nothing except making them more famous. The music still remains punk. I think all punk bands should get radio airplay, that way more people can listen to them and get to know them. No band needs to change their style of music to go mainstream. By going mainstream Rise Against have become one of the most influential mordern punk band.

And you cant compare Rise Against to Fall Out Boy. If you do that then you've definitely never herd Rise Against and you should actually take the time to listen to them before making any stupid comments.
"Give It All" also got on the radio. And I don't know about Irish radio, but 99%(or whatever percent Clear Channel and Infinity have bought out) of American radio is shit and it would be a shame for punk music to end up on what has become such a commercialized medium. Punk on independent radio is cool, but there aren't many indie stations left anymore.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Last edited by yeahyeah at Feb 11, 2007,
af_the_fragile, you're an imbecile. It's not just the fact that they're played on MTV. Think about it, why would MTV put real punk music on their playlist? They wouldn't. It's not profitable to the millions of dumb masses. Rise Against is not a punk band because they are signed to a major label, their sound is overproduced and really slick, and they have nothing to do with the punk ideals of DIY or participating in the underground. None of that is punk. If they ever were punk, they've obviously sold out. They've sold their souls to MTV and the music industry. If you think they're punk, you're fucking dense, and you obviously don't know what real punk sounds like. You idiots need to ****ing realize that Rise Against's talent shouldn't soley depend on whether they're punk or not. They do suck in my opinion, but not because they're not punk; they suck because they don't have talent.
Rise Against Anti Flag punk, others not. Out.

And if youre gonna defend Rise Against, dont tell me their latest album isnt punk and the rest are because their last three albums all sound the same.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>