Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I've decided I want to get some new pickups for my Epiphone Les Paul 9Standard Plus-Top). Mainyl because I want to be able to get better tone from distortion, yet good cleans.

I've been thinking about the EMG 81/85 or EMG Zakk Wylde set as I've heard good things about them, but I'm not too sure if it's good for my style. I play various styles atlhough mainly Hard Rock and some Metal. but I also play Hendrix suff, RHCP, etc, and a little punk. So I want great distortion tone, yet good cleans.

I'm not buying the pickups online, i want to go the store to pick them up. So I'll be buying from Guitar Guitar. All the pickups you think of must be on the site, so I know they have them.

I was also thinking of a DiMarzio DP100F Super Distortion F-Spaced for the neck, and a DiMarzio DP159F Evolution Bridge for my bridge. but I'm unsure.

All help appreciated.

Oh, and I have a budget of about £200 MAXIMUM, although I'd preferably like to spend about £180 on a set.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
The 81/85 set kicks ass. Check out the 60 for the neck too.

Is the 60 Neck pickup able to give me a nice tone kind of like the Sweet Child O' Mine intro. Not exactly, but just around about so that it is nice and warm?
I have 81/60 combo and it is awesome. I definately recommend the 60 in the neck if you want nice cleans, it gives you a kinda of fat and creamy sort of tone if you use it for lead.
i have the 81 in the bridge, the lows are super tight and the highs have a great attack. the mid-range suffers a little bit, but it is still a great pickup. i'd try the 60 in the neck. listen to any metallica song live like one, fade to black or nothing else matters. hetfield uses the 60 and his cleans are awesome, it's hard to get a good clean tone with the 85. the emgs work best with tube amps btw.
gibson sg
ltd ex-250 w/ emg 81/85
danelectro piece of crap
boogie mark III simul head (purple stripe)
boogie DC-5 112 (FS)
all tube peavey bravo 112
You have an MG, EMGS will make jack all difference. If anything your guitar will sound worse.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
You have an MG, EMGS will make jack all difference. If anything your guitar will sound worse.

very true, you should probably focus on getting a new amp, perferably a tube amp.
gibson sg
ltd ex-250 w/ emg 81/85
danelectro piece of crap
boogie mark III simul head (purple stripe)
boogie DC-5 112 (FS)
all tube peavey bravo 112
Quote by soybomb
very true, you should probably focus on getting a new amp, perferably a tube amp.

I don't need a new amp. I bought the MG after xmas as a new amp because I just needed something to practice on that has a decent sound, and it does.

All I'm looking for is some pickups ebst suited for my style to help imrpove my sound and tone.

And my amp is a MG30DFX if it helps. Now please, no "Get a new amp, MGs suck" posts, because I won't be getting a new amp for about a year or two - I like my MG.
^ Well if you must get new pickups, don't get EMGs, because they will sound horrible.

Look at passive pickups. Swineshead Xbucker/Venom combo is worth a look
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
hm, if you're set on emgs, i highly recommend the 60 in the neck. and i recommend it a lot.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Yea, I'd recomend an 81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck.
Quote by Vermintide
In Soviet Russia, bar searches YOU!!!

Quote by timi_hendrix
^ Well if you must get new pickups, don't get EMGs, because they will sound horrible.

Look at passive pickups. Swineshead Xbucker/Venom combo is worth a look

+1

Although I do have a guitar with an 81/85 combo I must agree. Then again, EMG's work for downtuned guitars through high gain tube amps. But that is ALL EMG's are going to do for you.
I've been thinking about the EMG 81/85 or EMG Zakk Wylde set as I've heard good things about them, but I'm not too sure if it's good for my style. I play various styles atlhough mainly Hard Rock and some Metal. but I also play Hendrix suff, RHCP, etc, and a little punk. So I want great distortion tone, yet good cleans.

For your styles EMG's are a no....not what you're looking for at all, you want more versatility.

I have a SD Custom 5/Pearly Gates combo in my Epi Les Paul, sounds great...it excels a straight up, raunchy rock sound but they'll get into metal territory no problem. The Pearly Gates is a little dirtier sounding than some neck pickups but that's what I was looking for from this guitar...I wanted it to sound like it was about to go into rehab

If you wanted the bridge a little brighter you could go for the normal Custom, with a 59 or Alinoco Pro II in the neck if you want a sweeter, more traditional PAF tone. You could also look at a Dimarzio Breed pair or Norton/Breed combo - that's a good choice if you don't think your particular LP sounds "Les Pauly" enough...if you really want to beef it up and bring out the warmth and low midrange growl, although the Breed in the bridge sounds great it might be a bit too warm and if you want more of a contrast with the neck then thats where the Norton comes in.

Finally, in the UK theres good old Swineshead and Bareknuckles - both those companies will be happy to give you advice, although I'm pretty sure Swineshead would recommend a Warthog/ Condor pair....BK have so many models, put probably Cold Sweats or Mules.

Bareknuckles are just priciest, closely followed by Dimarzios and Duncans, Swiney's are cheapest, although you can save a lot on Duncans if you hunt round on ebay...you still have to pay VAT but it's still significantly cheaper.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Martin-6-String-Customs_Seymour-Duncan-Humbuckers_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ4713045QQftidZ2QQtZkm

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Sigler-Music-Center_Pickups_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ13QQftidZ2QQtZkm
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Am having to resort to double posting after the 5th crash trying to edit the above post....

I missed the bit about not buying online...personally I think that's downright bonkers, but if you have to limit yourself to that shop then it's a toss up between the Dimarzio Breeds and the BK Mules
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Am having to resort to double posting after the 5th crash trying to edit the above post....

I missed the bit about not buying online...personally I think that's downright bonkers, but if you have to limit yourself to that shop then it's a toss up between the Dimarzio Breeds and the BK Mules

Yeah I'm limited to the shop - My parents don't like me buying stuff online, so it's just the shop. Also, i can't get the bareknuckle because noth pickups together is above my budget. I was thinking maybe the Bareknuckle VH2 Zebra Humbucker.
Yeah I'm limited to the shop - My parents don't like me buying stuff online, so it's just the shop. Also, i can't get the bareknuckle because noth pickups together is above my budget. I was thinking maybe the Bareknuckle VH2 Zebra Humbucker.

The VH2 should be good - I'm guessing from the name that it's got a Van Halen vibe to it, which is never a bad thing.
Just in case you didn't spot it, this is actually a bridge and neck pair, not just a single pickup.
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/accessories_detail.asp?stock=05071909141419&guitars=9

Is it worth trying to work on your parents a little? Buying on-line is just buying mail order, but you use your computer instead of the phone. Swinesheads are only really available direct, and you are buying them direct from the manufacturer, they should be commending you for having the nous to shop around and get good a good deal for yourself...basically a pair of Swinesheads will cost about the same as one Barekuckle (around £100). You wouldn't get the Dimarzios any cheaper, not even from Thomann, the Duncan's are only cheaper if you get them from the states.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
The VH2 should be good - I'm guessing from the name that it's got a Van Halen vibe to it, which is never a bad thing.
Just in case you didn't spot it, this is actually a bridge and neck pair, not just a single pickup.
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/accessories_detail.asp?stock=05071909141419&guitars=9

Is it worth trying to work on your parents a little? Buying on-line is just buying mail order, but you use your computer instead of the phone. Swinesheads are only really available direct, and you are buying them direct from the manufacturer, they should be commending you for having the nous to shop around and get good a good deal for yourself...basically a pair of Swinesheads will cost about the same as one Barekuckle (around £100). You wouldn't get the Dimarzios any cheaper, not even from Thomann, the Duncan's are only cheaper if you get them from the states.

No chance of my parents letting me buy online. I've tried to convince them, but no luck.

Also, i didn't realise the Mule was the neck and bridge set. I'll definately look into those. But how does the mule set compare to having a VH2 Zebra in the neck, and a Breed for the bridge?
No chance of my parents letting me buy online. I've tried to convince them, but no luck.

Also, i didn't realise the Mule was the neck and bridge set. I'll definately look into those. But how does the mule set compare to having a VH2 Zebra in the neck, and a Breed for the bridge?

From the looks of it the VH2 is more a bridge pickup, so I'd maybe do it the other way round - or possibly a Duncan Alnico Pro II for the neck...didn't spot that on their site before.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
From the looks of it the VH2 is more a bridge pickup, so I'd maybe do it the other way round - or possibly a Duncan Alnico Pro II for the neck...didn't spot that on their site before.

Hmm... That sounds like a good combination. I'll be getting either the Mules or them, or another good suggestion. It'll take me a few months to dave but it'll be worth it.
Quote by AdamDK
I don't need a new amp. I bought the MG after xmas as a new amp because I just needed something to practice on that has a decent sound, and it does.

All I'm looking for is some pickups ebst suited for my style to help imrpove my sound and tone.

And my amp is a MG30DFX if it helps. Now please, no "Get a new amp, MGs suck" posts, because I won't be getting a new amp for about a year or two - I like my MG.

but EMG don't sound as good as they should sound with a SS amp, and the clean tone it's not really good
Quote by deluxity
but EMG don't sound as good as they should sound with a SS amp, and the clean tone it's not really good

I think I've decided EMG's aren't for me. Read the thread to see the options said.
Quote by AdamDK

?

two uncovered BKP's are £180.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by AdamDK
Hmm... That sounds like a good combination. I'll be getting either the Mules or them, or another good suggestion. It'll take me a few months to dave but it'll be worth it.

I'm flattered, but no thanks...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by AdamDK

You like your MG? You've probably never played on anything else.

Get a new amp. Seriously.
Quote by The way to hate
You like your MG? You've probably never played on anything else.

Get a new amp. Seriously.

**** you. I've played on a load of Marshall tubes, and other SS amps. I like my MG. I can get good sounds. Now seriously, don't keep saying "get a new amp".

Quote by Dave_Mc
?

two uncovered BKP's are £180.

Yeah I realised that shortley after posting. Anyway a quick question guys. If I get the Breed or the Duncan Alnico Pro II for the neck, and the VH2 Bareknuckle for the bridge, do they fit in the rings on my Les paul that my stock pickups are in, or do I need to get a new ring as the stock ones would be stuck in the rings?
Probbaly gonna want to get a new amp. Though you hate to hear new pick ups on a garbage ass amp isnt gonna do anything
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Syn Harvest
Probbaly gonna want to get a new amp. Though you hate to hear new pick ups on a garbage ass amp isnt gonna do anything

Haven't you read? I'm Not getting a new amp. I can get decent tone from my amp, and I want pickups so they suit my style more. Not to mention with my band when we play school shows, we'll be using Marshall Tube combo's, so they'll sound good.
The new pickups will fit in the existing mounting rings, prepare to get mightily pissed off trying to get the screws in with the springs though
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
The new pickups will fit in the existing mounting rings, prepare to get mightily pissed off trying to get the screws in with the springs though

What springs? I never knew there was strings in pickups. The bridge yeah, but in the pickups or something??? Please, explain what you mean.
Quote by AdamDK
Hey guys, I've decided I want to get some new pickups for my Epiphone Les Paul 9Standard Plus-Top). Mainyl because I want to be able to get better tone from distortion, yet good cleans.

I'm not buying the pickups online, i want to go the store to pick them up. So I'll be buying from Guitar Guitar. All the pickups you think of must be on the site, so I know they have them.

I was also thinking of a DiMarzio DP100F Super Distortion F-Spaced for the neck, and a DiMarzio DP159F Evolution Bridge for my bridge. but I'm unsure.

All help appreciated.

Oh, and I have a budget of about £200 MAXIMUM, although I'd preferably like to spend about £180 on a set.

If you want EMG's get the Zakk Wylde set off of www.thomann.de because it only costs £130...

I know you don't want to buy online but this is a hell of a lot cheaper...
Quote by Untitled001
If you want EMG's get the Zakk Wylde set off of www.thomann.de because it only costs £130...

I know you don't want to buy online but this is a hell of a lot cheaper...

I'm not getting the MG's, everybody has said they're not good for my style.
dont you like seymour's jb 2 and jb4? or maybe '59?
Quote by MedicreDemon
I've never heard this "Eruption" song.

Quote by srvman
^^^ but surely putting a flower on your guitar wouldnt be that stupid, or is a floyd rose like a stupid colour or something?
My gear:
Jackson DK2M
Squier Std Stratocaster
Frontman 15R
Digitech RP300A
Quote by AdamDK
I'm not getting the MG's, everybody has said they're not good for my style.

Ah... I didn't read all of the thread before I posted
Quote by dudusrb
dont you like seymour's jb 2 and jb4? or maybe '59?

I have thought about them. I'm starting to push for them a bit, seeing as they supposedly have warm cleans, and nice bright distortion, but the Bareknuckles seem a bit better for me. I was also thinking about the SH-2n Jazz for the neck, as they seem good, but I still cannot decide. Has anybody used/has the SH-2n in neck or bridge position, and think they're good?
Quote by AdamDK
What springs? I never knew there was strings in pickups. The bridge yeah, but in the pickups or something??? Please, explain what you mean.

they should fit ok, i'd have thought, but I think there may be two different sizes of screws that BKP use, you might want to check with them to be sure.

also, springs are used in adjusting the height of the pickup.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
they should fit ok, i'd have thought, but I think there may be two different sizes of screws that BKP use, you might want to check with them to be sure.

also, springs are used in adjusting the height of the pickup.

Ah. That's how the pickups change height when you screw/unscrew one of trhe srcews (Middle one I think), ain't it? Well, if I do get the BK pickups, I'll check with the shop to make sure the screws will fit.

Back to my last question - Do any of you have experience with the SH-2n pickup in either the neck/bridge position?
^ yeah, those screws are the ones. They go into little springs.

the sh2 is the jazz, right (i hate those abbrevations, I prefer the name, lol)? I've tried it in the neck... it's alright, not spectacular, IMO. the overdrive is pretty poor, if you play anything heavier than a blues level of overdrive. I'd prefer the '59 or alnico II pro, but obviously it depends what you want the neck pickup for.

I'd say a BK or swiney would be my preferred choice over the jazz... it's a bit closer if you're talking alIIpro or '59. but again, personal preference and all.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah, those screws are the ones. They go into little springs.

the sh2 is the jazz, right (i hate those abbrevations, I prefer the name, lol)? I've tried it in the neck... it's alright, not spectacular, IMO. the overdrive is pretty poor, if you play anything heavier than a blues level of overdrive. I'd prefer the '59 or alnico II pro, but obviously it depends what you want the neck pickup for.

I'd say a BK or swiney would be my preferred choice over the jazz... it's a bit closer if you're talking alIIpro or '59. but again, personal preference and all.

Well from my neck pickup I want some nice warm sounds, kind of like the Sweet Child O' Mine intro. Because I tend to have the louder, brighter sounds coming from my bridge pickup. So, would the alIIpro or he '59 suit them?
Page 1 of 2