Hi I know it might seem obvious but I though I better ask, I would like to remove the crome cover from my BurstBucker neck pickup, would this be possible or do I have to buy one that has no covers on it?

If I can, can someone tell me what screws to remove so I dont bugger the pickup.

I know its a bit of a stupid question but I just dont want bugger the pickup and have to buy a new one.

Thanks for your help.
member #3 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join

Gibson Les Paul Std Trans Amber
Gibson Les Paul Std P90 Gold top
Gibson Les Paul 1968 Custom V.O.S.
1980 Chiquita Travel Guitar
Fender 2006 Anniversary
Ashdown Fallen Angel stack.
The cover is soldered on, not screwed on. So you need to melt the solder and suck it away. Once the solder is gone you should be able to take the cover off. If the cover doesn't come right off then the wax used for potting might be holding it together. If this happens then you need to heat the cover to soften the wax. Don't get it too hot though.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
The cover is soldered on, not screwed on. So you need to melt the solder and suck it away. Once the solder is gone you should be able to take the cover off. If the cover doesn't come right off then the wax used for potting might be holding it together. If this happens then you need to heat the cover to soften the wax. Don't get it too hot though.

Thank you I'll give it ago.

Fender 2006 Anniversary
Quote by CorduroyEW

Ok sorry for the double post, I have two more questions.

If I remove the cover do you think I will notice that much of a difference running through an Ashdown Fallen Angel half stack?

And two

What way is the safest way to heat the cover if the wax is holding it together?

Thanks.

Fender 2006 Anniversary
With no cover you might notice a little bit more buzz and a little more top end, but the differance is very small. Some people can't hear any change at all, but that seems to depend more on the person than the amp.

The best way to heat the pickup is with a blow dryer, but you probably will not need to. Remember that the bobbins inside the pickup melt pretty easy so you really do need to be careful.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
With no cover you might notice a little bit more buzz and a little more top end, but the differance is very small. Some people can't hear any change at all, but that seems to depend more on the person than the amp.

The best way to heat the pickup is with a blow dryer, but you probably will not need to. Remember that the bobbins inside the pickup melt pretty easy so you really do need to be careful.

Ok thank you, I think I’m almost ready to go for it, it looks easy enough to put back on if I don't like it.

Thanks for all your help I'll let you know how it goes.

Fender 2006 Anniversary
Just to let you know the mod was successful, I’ve noticed that I can now perform forced harmonics allot better, the buzz has not changed and I think the sustain sounds better.

Well worth it, thanks for all your help.

Fender 2006 Anniversary