I use both, i like fingers but when i play punk it sounds better with a pick. Is it better to stick to one or use both?
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
i agree with cliff, its good to know how to do both, just use whichever style fits the music your playing. i persoanlly find that when playing metal or punk stuff i use a pick, but for solo stuff and jazzy kinda stuff i use fingers.
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
The Special Ed kid of the bass militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join

Quote by fourstringpunk
She looks like an STD vending machine.
its waaaaaaaaaay better to know both! and fyi theres nothing that you shouldnt do just because other people dont or whatever.. however you play just play!
"I can't live my life alwayz worried about what if....
cuz what if i die tomorrow and i never even lived!"
If you're not going to use it, don't waste your time perfecting one versus the other, but its good to have a foundation of knowledge for both.
You should know how to do both. I find it easier to play with my fingers though so I mostly play songs like that but if needed, I can use a pick.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Most punk and alternative are predominately pick. But learn both--they each have their places and uses as stated above.
Ya learn both. It gives a different sound and if you can master each of those, you will be better off in the long run.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
I sometimes play my lead guitarists guitar and i dont use a pick. I dont really like using a pick but thats my opinion.Do wat feels comfortable for u.
I hate the sound of a pick, but thats just me. Its good to know both though.
You should be able to do both I think.

For example, if you play punk rock, and your school or something wants you to play something jazzy, a pick will sound out of place a lot of the time.

Or if you play mostly finger style, and something happens to your calluses right before a gig, you'll enjoy being able to still play with a pick.
both, i hatr the close minded fools that say ppicks are teh suck. its good to know how to use both and to apply them to musical situations where one is going to sound better than another. its always good to know more than to only know one thing and limit yourself as a bassist
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
Quote by Bumper
Real bassists play with picks. Fingers are for wannabes.

lol! So according to that, James Jamerson, John Entwistle, Geddy Lee, Jaco, Victor Wooten, and Flea aren't real bassists?
Quote by Bumper
Real bassists play with picks. Fingers are for wannabes.

LOL siged but anyways.To be a true bassists it does not matter if you use picks or if u use finger.Like i said with ever u feel most comfortable with.Using a pick does not make u bad bassist nor does it make u a wanna be.Same going with fingers.
Quote by IndianRockStar
lol! So according to that, James Jamerson, John Entwistle, Geddy Lee, Jaco, Victor Wooten, and Flea aren't real bassists?

Pssh....My pick eats Victor Wooten for brunch, with a side of cantaloupe and James Jamerson. Geddy Lee just wished he could us a pick, and Jaco can't even play straight 8ths! Lawlzors!!!?!uno!!!one?!
Why do people ask these kinds of questions? It's not like if you use a pick, your dick will shrivel or something.

Just practice using both picks and fingers; they both produce a diff sound, one of which may suit a song better.

Imagine playing a really heavy, rhythmic song with fingers - it can be done but it doesn't feel as satisfying than slamming the strings with a pick. Plus, the pick will probably make your tone stand out more.
im pretty good at playing with a pick, i use it because i play fast punk songs and i need to cut through the guitar. i am however, learning how to play with my fingers since i want to become the best at bass as i can possibley be and learning to slap and play with my fingers is what i feel i want to do.
Quote by Cliff Williams
Think ur pick is as good as me eating ur mom?

Try not to use comments like this in the bass forum. I mean, it's fun to joke around sometimes (like my pick being better than anything comments) but for the most part we try to steer away from your mom jokes, I can play better than yous, and other things that you would find in The Pit or the Electric Guitar Forum.
I play with a band with a pick, but practice with my fingers.

Practice with my fingers... hehe
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..