So I rediscovered www.warmoth.com fairly recently, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them? I'm really considering my next bass being made from Warmoth parts (And my next electric guitar), I love the concept of making the bass completely your own, and the prices really aren't that bad at all considering.

And for those of you interested, this is the setup I'm considering:

Swamp Ash/Flame Maple Gecko 5 Body $265
Wenge/Ebony Gecko 5 Neck - $350 + $95
Pickups MM Hambucker/ Jazz Soapbar Neck - ~ $180
Hipshot Tremelo Bridge - $185
Gotoh Tuners - $65
Bone Nut - $5
Hardware - $50
Purple Dye - 220$

Total price: $1350

I decided on the Gecko because I really want 24 frets without it looking weird, and I'm pretty sure I've decided on this over a MM Stingray or Corvette, because hell it'd be totally mine, plus the setup I have there should have a decent amount of smoothness while retaining great slap tone. And it's got a killer Gecko inlay. I'm actually thinking of putting EMG MM and Jazz Combo on it, throw in a 3-way selector switch to go between hambucker, both, and jazz. I'll have to see if Warmoth will cut the body for it though. And I'll have to make sure the Hipshot Tremelo will fit on the Gecko Body. I have a ways to go, but I'm liking the look of it and what I hear, and it's definately unique.

Anyone have any experience? Thoughts? Anyone else have a custom setup they'd like to share?

Edit: Oh, and would a Maple with Ebony Fretboard be better than Wenge/Ebony? I love both, but with the wood combination I'm not entirely sure.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Last edited by UndeadPaperclip at Feb 9, 2007,
I was also thinking of doing one on Warmoth. Do they assemble it for you or you just receive all the parts?
Quote by Ranxston
I was also thinking of doing one on Warmoth. Do they assemble it for you or you just receive all the parts?

you buy the parts and build it yourself, im actually kind of fortunate that i live fairly close to both Warmoth and USA Custom guitars... many people have used Warmoth stuff, I dont really see how you could go wrong since it will be a custom bass that you made yourself besides getting the parts at Warmoth
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
you order it, they make it you assemble it.
I thought the service was good, and the quality is exceptional.
Do be aware that the parts may not be 'perfect' when they arrive, in my case i had minor work done on the frets and neck. Other than that flawless.
the only thing i had was that you shouyld make sure that you cover every aspect of the production of it, because they assume that you know exactly what you want and so will not questio if you miss things out.

BTW, the gecko bass sounds sweet, good luck with it, i was thinkin sommet similar with a 5 string j-bass, student loan is goin methinks
Warmoth is a recognized maker of quality components. You won't go wrong with assembling a guitar from their parts. You also have quite a bit of choice which is great - body woods, neck profiles, shapes, etc.

For general information resources on guitar building, take a look at this guitar building resources list I put together. You'll find resources ranging from books to forums to vendors. I've found these incredibly helpful in my first guitar build.

Regards,

Rob
Last edited by ririzarry at Apr 7, 2007,
Yea Warmoth is AWSOME. I've got an SG style bass that Im buiding. I am gonna order me a neck and another body this weekend. Pau Ferro or Ebony fingerbored(Can't decide yet) with a goncalo alves back. and a maple Dinky P-bass body. Btw post some pics of it when u get it going. Im interested in seeing how it goes.

Member of the Morley PWB Owners Club.
Only thing I can't tolerate about Warmoth is no custom 6-string bass stuff. Boo.

Otherwise, I'd suppose it to be a decent company.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
They're reliable. Sounds like you've got a nice setup. I don't see many flaws from my standpoint. I'm getting my 8-string bridge from there. The only thing I would suggest is doing a custom body, it'll be alot cheaper. But if you don't have the tools or the time, or skill then I would stay on your current path.
Quote by graybass_20x6
Only thing I can't tolerate about Warmoth is no custom 6-string bass stuff. Boo.

They have Gecko 6-string parts, but I dont know much about 6-stings. Im strictly a 4-string player.

Well since this has been bumped...

I've been reconsidering the neck combination to maple/purpleheart with a maple fretboard. This is due to a couple reasons, one, my favorite basses all seem to have maple necks (Aside from the Corvette), and two, I have too many dark colored necks. Silly? Yes, but I'd like a change. And I find that maple necks tend to have great slap tone (See: Marcus Miller Jazz and Stingrays with Maple necks).

I know that this would essentially make the tone a bit brighter, but the Swamp Ash/Flame Maple should be able to keep it a bit less drastic, correct? I want it to have a bright tone, but at the same time I want it to be very smooth with thick bottom end without being overly 'warm.' Also, when there is multiple woods in a bass it adds a bit more depth to the sound and sustain that I love, would having 3 kinds of maple rob it of any depth/thickness or sustain?

Edit:

Quote by graybass_20x6

Gecko 6s are really nice actually, check these out

Edit2: I think I'm pretty much set on this as my next bass, so once I get the income to do it and start, I'll definately update it on here. My biggest concert at the moment is the pickup switching, I'm not sure how easy it will be to get the bass to switch from all-pickups, to Jazz, to dual-coil, to Jazz/Jazz, to single coil Bridge.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Last edited by UndeadPaperclip at Mar 17, 2007,
Quote by UndeadPaperclip

Gecko 6s are really nice actually, check these out

Hmm, haven't seen those. I guess I haven't poked around the site enough. Very nice, though. That fretless 6 has me intrigued.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Yea I just orderd my neck from there to go with my Maple SG body.
Ebony/Maple, Stainless Steel Frets, Cream Dots, LP Headstock, and Clear Gloss back with Black Pegface to top it off, and a total of $420. Now I just have to wait 12 weeks

Once I get a job I'm definitely getting a Gecko 6 fretless, possibly with the same specs as that red dye 6 that Undead posted above except with EMG-45s and an EMG active EQ. That's all I have to say.
Gear:
SX SJB62-5 5-String Fretless Jazz Copy (EADGC)
Ibanez GSR200 4-String Fretted (BEAD)
Ibanez IBZ10B 10 Watt Practice Combo Amp
DR Stainless Steel Lo-Riders
Yamaha Air Cell Straps
i was planning out a warmoth bass a little while back, but then i realised apart from conversion and shipping costs, new zealand customs would charge me and extra 100-200NZD to inspect the wood because our bio-security is incredibly tight. maybe one day when i'm incredibly rich..
Member of the Morley PWB Owners Club. PM mountaindew88 to join.
the guys there are dicks,
but apparently their stuff is really high quality
Well as of right now I've made a few key changes to the setup of the bass I'm planning on, while I'm still a few months out from being in existance, I'd like a bit of feedback.

I'm going to go with the Maple/Purpleheart neck with a maple fingerboard, I'm also going to stay with a Flame or Burl (If possible) maple top and Swamp Ash body. My two favorite basses at this time have a similar setup, Marcus Miller has a pure Ash body, and Stingrays are straight-up maple, so by keeping a variety in the woods I should intensify the tone and bring it closer to what I want.

As far as the pickups go I'm not going to bother with trying to get it custom cut and routed for a Jazz/Hambucker setup that I've never tried out before and might not work at all. Instead I'm going to put active bartiloni jazz pickups with a 3 band EQ to give it a nice round, smooth tone with a lot of high end response without sacrificing any of the mellow quality. If at all possible I'd like to throw in a pickup selector switch with this as well, from single neck, dual, to single bridge.

And while I love the thought of having a nice pimpin' purple bass, I love the natural color, and according to warmoth they will only dye the laminate top. So I'm going to put a clear coat on it and request AAAAA grade Burl/Flame maple if at all possible for the top.

So that brings me to

Small Neck Gecko 5 Bass
Maple/Purpleheart neck
Maple Fingerboard
Swamp Ash body
Flame/Burl Maple laminate top
Bone Nut
Bartiloni Jazz Pickups
Hipshot Bass Tremelo (Assuming it will fit, I don't see why it wouldn't though)
Clear gloss

Any comments/suggestions on this new setup? And what is the different between Clear gloss and clear satin for the finish?

I'm really getting excited about this plan
Kabir
No Stingray is maple bodied.

They are ash bodied if clear-coated, and Alder if painted.

That said, your bass sounds cool.

Bit of warning though, Barts are fairly subdued as far as pickups go, IMO.

And the J/MM combo is AMAZING!
haha
Last edited by MetalUpTheAss at Mar 18, 2007,
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
No Stingray is maple bodied.

They are ash bodied if clear-coated, and Alder if painted.

That said, your bass sounds cool.

Bit of warning though, Barts are fairly subdued as far as pickups go, IMO.

And the J/MM combo is AMAZING!

Well I'll be damned, that's what I get for looking over this stuff at 3 AM falling asleep. But I think I'll stick with my wood setup as the majority of the body is Ash anyways, and I lurve Flame/Burl maple, now if only they offered Coco Bolo... As for the barts, I didn't notice that they only came in passive, so now I'm looking more at Seymour Duncan pickups instead.

This is what my weekends have come down to
Kabir