A buddy and I are thinking of starting a company making custom pro quality instrument cables (and other types of cables) but we have been debating on what name to register it under.

Here are some thoughts and I am open to ideas as well (keep it serious if you could )

Pure Tone

Black Fire

Pure Fire

Fire Wave

Fire Tone

We are coming up short on stuff that is catchy, but not retarded if you know what I mean.
Carvin MTS 3200 Head
Avatar 4x12 (2 V30's and 2 G12-T75)
Quote by Aidy Damage
Buttsecks Cables: For those times when you need to shove something into a small hole.

i like pure tone or fire tone
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
Quote by Dimebag22

i like pure tone or fire tone

Puretone is the group that did the (awesome, regardless of genre) 'totally addicted to bass' song. Back on track, imagine how many times the name 'Pure Tone' has been used. Just name your company after yours and your mate's surnames.
Of all the things you need to consider when starting a business, the name is not on the top of the list.

While branding can still be important, it's becoming less important all the time. While I'm not saying that you shouldn't worry about it all, it's not something that's a very high priority, especially at the beginning of the game. If you want to focus on branding then it's something to work into your business plan and sort out after you know exactly what your goals are and how you plan to accomplish them.
Oh I could just see the look on the faces at the city building when I tried to register buttsecks cables . Normally I wouldn't mind operating it under surnames, but there are some problems with that this time around. My consulting company is already under my surname. I do know that a name is not everything and trust me I worked out a lot of other details, but I unfourtanetly can't register for the tax license without having the FBN (fictious business name) first. Also the other thing in branding is that we already have some locally succesful bands that will be under our sponsorship, and in order for it to make an impression when they give us a product shoutout we need something that will stick in people's minds.
Carvin MTS 3200 Head
Naming your company is the difrence between success and failure, chances are 60% of your clients will always choose their purchases based on the image of a company, that means name.

Whole Tone
Flame (too close to "Fame"?)
Crest (wave idea)
Wave Peak
Sky Tone
Sound Burn / Soundbourn / Sound Born
Quote by notsofun
Oh I could just see the look on the faces at the city building when I tried to register buttsecks cables . Normally I wouldn't mind operating it under surnames, but there are some problems with that this time around. My consulting company is already under my surname. I do know that a name is not everything and trust me I worked out a lot of other details, but I unfourtanetly can't register for the tax license without having the FBN (fictious business name) first. Also the other thing in branding is that we already have some locally succesful bands that will be under our sponsorship, and in order for it to make an impression when they give us a product shoutout we need something that will stick in people's minds.
Yeah but the branding that you're talking about is product branding, not company branding.

At this point the easiest thing to do would be to register any ol' name that you can think of. Just to take the burdeon off of your shoulders. And then come up with a really good product with a really cool name for the product. That way you can buy the business license and then spend as much time as you need perfecting the brand, and you won't be rushed.

In a couple of months if you feel that a business brand is what you're after then simply change the name of the business. It might cost you $60 or whatever for a new business license but at least it got your attention the product in the crucial stages of the start-up instead of worrying about something not-so-important like a name.
The product demo's have already been made that isn't a concern anymore and we are getting pretty good feedback on them (high quality shielded wire, "Pop-Free" connectors, and a few other things, plus a price that doesn't rape people)I do get what you are saying in terms of just starting a parent company to get the resellers license and such and than just essentially creating a child company under a brand name. You might be right on that. Well either way keep the names coming guys.
Carvin MTS 3200 Head
Quote by notsofun
The product demo's have already been made that isn't a concern anymore and we are getting pretty good feedback on them (high quality shielded wire, "Pop-Free" connectors, and a few other things, plus a price that doesn't rape people)I do get what you are saying in terms of just starting a parent company to get the resellers license and such and than just essentially creating a child company under a brand name. You might be right on that. Well either way keep the names coming guys.
If you've already got the product pretty much made and a business plan laid out then everything I've said doesn't matter. From your first post I assumed that you were some kid wanting to start a company with his friends 'cause it sounds like a good idea. I obviously assumed incorrectly and I apologize.
Quote by garett
If you've already got the product pretty much made and a business plan laid out then everything I've said doesn't matter. From your first post I assumed that you were some kid wanting to start a company with his friends 'cause it sounds like a good idea. I obviously assumed incorrectly and I apologize.

still listen to him though, hes from '02
Lol its all good man, yeah definitly can't fall into the kid category anymore, 21 and a junior in the business major at San Diego State.
Carvin MTS 3200 Head