ok i want to build a guitar...and i saw on here that some other dude actually made pickups for his....i was wondering... how do you do that?????
i need help...
UG's HIPPIE
just buy one.
winding coils how many times??? that's just pain...
if ur gonna overwound it, it's even worse.
i recommend u to just buy one.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
winding pickups is hard, but it's not as bad as people think. For strats the number of winds is around 8,000. For humbuckers it's around 5,000 per coil. If you are just doing 1 set then you can do it with a drill, some felt, and a C clamp. If you have a lathe or a drill press you can actually calculate the speed and count how many wraps you have on the coil based on how long you wind. If you are using a hand drill then just wind the coils untill they are full. Getting a feel for how to wind a pickup takes some time and it will probably be a couple days before you get a pickup that works when you are done, but don't give up.
Not taking any online orders.
The amount you spend on getting the equipment to make the pickups, the amount you spend on the parts, etc. will wind up costing you way more than it does to just buy a cheap pickup.

Unless you're going to be making a lot of pickups, then you might as well not bother with thinking about winding them yourself.
what i meant was...like hooking it up....wheres that JJ1565 chick? lol she always seems to know that kinda stuff....how do you hook the output wire from the pickup to the output/volume/tone?
UG's HIPPIE
also, whaty magnets do i use, and where do i get them??? how much are they?
UG's HIPPIE
im thinkin 1 single coil and 1 humbucker....i want 2 volume and 1 tone.....and a kill swich and a 2 way swich ( i never mix them, it sounds gay...)
UG's HIPPIE
^ I was going to help you until you used the g-word. When are you heteros going to stop using our word?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Last edited by Will_Minus at Feb 9, 2007,
Quote by Will_Minus
^ I was going to help you until you used the g-word. When are you heteros going to stop using our word?

Exactly. I'm still trying to work out why he said that two switches would be homosexual....
Oh, I'm not gay by the way
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by Will_Minus

You guys stole it from the happy people.....
MG Free At Last
Quote by Will_Minus

I was gonna help him until he credited Kurt Cobain with saying "It's better to burn out then to fade away".

did you know the major scale on a piano, starting at whatever note (lets say E). you just go straight up the white keys without hitting a black one. and you got the major scale.

Quote by Stacked Actors
I was gonna help him until he credited Kurt Cobain with saying "It's better to burn out then to fade away".

Looks like two seperate quotes to me.
MG Free At Last
It is two seperate quotes. They're on different lines, both have their own quotation marks, and only the last one is cited.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
^^Silly gooses. It's pretty much basic knowledge that was all said by Al Gore anyway. Why the fuss?
Quote by ~G{}{}BER~
im thinkin 1 single coil and 1 humbucker....i want 2 volume and 1 tone.....and a kill swich and a 2 way swich ( i never mix them, it sounds gay...)

Slurs aside....How about 1 single, 1 humbucker, 2 volume, 1 tone, and on/off switches for each pickup? Haven't ever seen a two way switch, and this way, you can use the on/off switch as a killswitch.

I just wrote this up right now, should work...but I've never tried it, so...
Check the sticky there are plently of sites with good info. Check out the instructions for the stewmac kits on there free information page, they give a pretty simple step-by-step guide to give you an idea of what the process is.

Winding a pickup can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. A strat pickup costs me about $21AU in parts if I don't buy in bulk. Your winder can be as simple as a drill and clamp.
ok first of all, i didnt mean to offend any1!!!!!
second of all, i didnt a two way swich was gay, i ssaid it sounds gay when you have a neck and bridge pickup and you use both at the same time....i always use either the bridge or the neck..never both!!!
third, the word gay DID come from "happy people" so how do know that i didnt mean mixing the PUPS would sound happy?????
fourth, Kurt Cobain said that in his suicide note.....he wasnt the first to say "its better to burn out than to fade away" i know it was from a song tard card!
fifth, THANK YOU!!!!! someone finnally went back on topic and found what i need!
UG's HIPPIE
umm..i was lookin around google for something else and found the exact same thing....nice try....lol
UG's HIPPIE

This one has got one two way, it sounded to you like it's what you wanted.

forsak's will work too, but it will hum a bit when both pickups are off.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.