Page 1 of 2
This thread is for, at least in my opinion, one of the greatest rock bands of all time.

I ****ing love The Byrds... I can't explain it better than that. Roger McGuinn is one amazing man, and he plays the 12-string guitar better than anyone else.

This band has as good of harmonies as The Beatles and Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

Basically every album these guys have put out is amazing, and whenever I listen to this band, I can't help but be happy.

So, favorite albums, songs, other comments... anything about The Byrds is welcome.
Yeah Byrds ftw!

Anybody think that The Byrds should re-unite?
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Quote by Sloopy
Yeah Byrds ftw!

Anybody think that The Byrds should re-unite?

Which ones? There were twelve of them.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
I haven't heard much of The Byrds but I heard their Mr. Tambourine Man cover and I hated it. I think they wrecked the song, but I haven't heard anything else by them.
Quote by primusucks
"i am so proud that by chance i am living in a place that during a territorial divide it got the largest mass of land."

hey texas, nobody cares.
Quote by Sherman901
I haven't heard much of The Byrds but I heard their Mr. Tambourine Man cover and I hated it. I think they wrecked the song, but I haven't heard anything else by them.

You've never heard "Turn! Turn! Turn!?" I don't know how that can happen.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
David Crosby always considered himself a singer who was only good at harmonizing, and he is good at it, his voice kind of molds around other singers well. After he left, the harmonies weren't the same...
It's been a while UG...
eight miles high always make me smile

no matter how pissed off i am

well infact most byrds songs do except mr tambourine man, i think ive heard that too much.
You guys don't like Mr. Tambourine Man?

I do enjoy Dylan's, but I like the cover more.

And Eight Miles High is such an awesome song (though the beginning is sort of sloppy on the guitar).
This wheel's on fire
Rolling down the road
Best notify my next of kin
This wheel shall explode

Great band great lyrics
-----(\__/)-----
------(0--0)-----
-----=\0/=-----

FIGHT THE BAN

SAVE OUR LAMBS
Do you think that the San Fransisco Sound of the late 60's could have happened without the Byrds? I think no because the Byrds kinda paved the way for the Mamas and the Papas and Jefferson Airplane to all get played on the radio.

Anyone wanna argue?

Quote by Kartman

Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Except I believe Dylan wrote those lyrics.

The Byrds performed many of Bob Dylan's works.

Well thats why they got great lyrics
-----(\__/)-----
------(0--0)-----
-----=\0/=-----

FIGHT THE BAN

SAVE OUR LAMBS
The past little while I've been listening to The Byrds more and more. I only have that compilation double album 'The Essentials' though, gotta get more albums. My favorite songs by them are My Back Pages, and Lady Friend.
Not to be a nitpicker, but I do believe the Byrds were from L.A., not San Fransisco. I think the sound still could have become popular, just because so many bands were doing it at the time, and Jefferson Airplane would have gotten big either way
Trey is a Jedi.

Co-Founder of the Ten Years After Fan Club. PM me or TheHeartbreaker to join.

Member of the Grateful Dead Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join.

Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join.
Quote by Jesse Mrau
My favorite songs by them are My Back Pages, and Lady Friend.

I love My Back Pages, which is another Dylan song.

I also love I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better from Mr. Tambourine Man.
Last edited by TheHeartbreaker at Feb 11, 2007,
Quote by VR05
Not to be a nitpicker, but I do believe the Byrds were from L.A., not San Fransisco. I think the sound still could have become popular, just because so many bands were doing it at the time, and Jefferson Airplane would have gotten big either way

I realise that but they are a pioneer of the California sound.

Quote by Kartman

Quote by ufossuck
You've never heard "Turn! Turn! Turn!?" I don't know how that can happen.

Oh yeah. That's a good song.
Quote by primusucks
"i am so proud that by chance i am living in a place that during a territorial divide it got the largest mass of land."

hey texas, nobody cares.
Jesus is just alrigth makes me laugh. I mean its awsome and what not but it still makes me laugh. I like rennaisance fair, for its supper groovy, psycadeclic bass. I like thier lay lady lay Dylan cover. Also 'you ain't going nowhere' is a good country tune. I used to think they were just a bunch of beatle wanna be's , but thier really not.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I love My Back Pages, which is another Dylan song.

I also love I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better from Fifth Dimension.

I find it to be one of the few covers that is better than the original. They just added something amazing to all the Dylan songs they covered.
Dylan is such an awesome man. He has done so much for the music world that it is unreal.

I mean, he gave us The Band, he provided a lot of songs for The Byrds that gave them success, etc.

It's great to see so many other groups playing tribute albums for him.
Yeah. Lots of people nowadays dont really get Dylan though.

Quote by Kartman

Byrds are amazing. Fifth Dimension, and The Notorious Byrd Brothers are my favourite albums. "Whats Happening" scares me everytime I hear it. Theres just something eerily perfect about it.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Dylan is such an awesome man. He has done so much for the music world that it is unreal.

I mean, he gave us The Band, he provided a lot of songs for The Byrds that gave them success, etc.

It's great to see so many other groups playing tribute albums for him.

Ronnie Hawkins gave us The Band. They just played with Dylan afterwards.
Quote by Sloopy
Yeah. Lots of people nowadays dont really get Dylan though.

I agree, most of my friends make fun of the fact that I practically worship Dylan.
^ Yeah. My sons love Dylan and their friends hate him.

How can you hate genius?

Quote by Kartman

How many Dylan songs did they do? Like it seems like most of them were...

Quote by Kartman

Yikes. That would never cut it nowadays.

Quote by Kartman

Yeah. I heard So You Wanna Be a Rock and Roll Star was written as a slap to the Monkees, is this true?

Quote by Kartman

I like the Byrds a lot. Their music is pretty relaxing. Their harmonies are excellent, as well.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Definitely. They always put me in a dreamy mood.

Yeah me too. It's really great to hear Dylan's songs from a different view. I mean Dylan is my favorite. I personnaly don't like Mr. Tambourine Man from them so much, but it's still great, they made a completley different sound for it, but kinda stick with the original one. The thing I really love from them is My Back Pages, they made an awesome harmony, anytime I hear it I feel like flying away, and not coming back until it's over. I think that if a band can do that, they are great, even if all of their songs would be bad. I don't want to write too much about them, because I don't know them enough for that, but maybe I will do it later.
"You'll be doin' society a favor
That sonofabitch is brave and getting braver..."
Page 1 of 2