Page 1 of 2
Simply as the title says.

I started listening to punk/pop punk sounds along the alines of Rise Against, Alkaline Trio, Sum 41 along with a mixture of Nu Metal. I started listening to heavier forms of Nu Metal. Got bored, discovered metalcore.

Then, this forum and a friend who showed me some great stuff got me on track. My mate Chris who I just spoke to on MSN showed me Converge, Circle Of Dead Children, Daughters, Sikth. I found myself BTBAM, DEP and Into The Moat myself and listened to those.

I then started listening to my old music. From Punk, I found Comeback Kid and then stuff like Terror, Hatebreed, and I found other forms of hardcore through these boards. Now, I listen to a variety of melodic death, death metal, deathcore if it has a good deal of energy to it, but I mostly listen to tough guy/posi hardcore.

I found most of my music by myself really, 'cause there ain't much scene apart from one good thrash band and a black metal band everyone hates. The Thrash/metal in general band is pretty good.

We do get the decent death metal band coming through every now and again, anyway...

How did you find hardcore?
I sorta drifted into it. It was only recently i realised how into it Ive become.

It went:

Blink 182 > Nirvana > Alexisonfire > Bring me the Horizon > Black Dahlia Murder > Agraphobic Nosebleed
Started out with Nu-metal like Spliknot, Mudvayne, Disturbed, etc.. and wanted heavier, then I found extreme metal (black and death) and still craved more heavy music. I found Hatebreed in 7th or 8th grade and they're what turned me onto hardcore.

I discovered Throwdown when I saw Jamey Jasta wearing one of their shirts. I used to practically masturbate to old school Throwdown,(pre-Haymaker). As We Choke was my favorite song for a long time. Then I found metal-core( As I Lay Dying, It Dies Today) which I then thought was "real" hardcore.

Then, not to be a brown noser or teacher's pet, BUT, this forum is what got me into "real" hardcore like Modern Life is War, Gorilla Biscuits, Have Heart, Bane and so on. I mean, I've found a lot of bands through word of mouth and the internet and seeing other bands wearing their shirts or naming their influences, but you guys have turned me onto some good shit.

So thank you Hardcore forum.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Haha shit! I was going to make this thread last night.

My friend always listened to heavier stuff, and got me into a band called Vision of Disorder, found out it was called "hardcore" so did few searches on the internet and found a few Australian bands that were labeled "Hardcore" (Which was actually Metalcore) and got into them.
Then a few years back I started getting into the real hardcore stuff through Minor Threat because the band Shihad (Also known as Pacifier at one stage) did a cover of Wire's "12XU", and I thought Minor Threat did the original. So I got into that stuff.

Then in 8th grade (year 8) I had a kid in my prac music class, (now, all these years later, he's the drummer in my band.. haha. Weird how shit turns out) and he was into this band called "Terror" and that was like... musical sex for me.

ANNNNND now I'm hopefully going to see Terror soon

And I don't just like hardcore, I'd say I'd have to go in this order Mosh/Metalcore > Real Hardcore stuff > All that metal stuff like Death and stuff.

But I nearly love it all equally.

OH! And also a few years back I decided to be a rebel and download a whole bunch of music off the internet, and one band I downloaded was "Simplekill". I thought it was like music that would kill me, so didn't listen to it much.
Now I do.
Linkin Park < Killswitch Engage

It just kinda went like that.

I listen to mostly technical metalcore like DEP, BTBAM, A Life Once Lost, et. al.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
I basically started with Nu Metal like Slipknot. Then one day this girl, Lisa, showed me this Poison the Well and I was hooked. From there I started listening to Atreyu, From Autumn to Ashes and UnderOath and As I Lay Dying. About 3 months later I scapped those and started listening to Misery Signals. After that I became obsessed with Screamo/Emo violence like Orchid, Saetia, City of Caterpillar and Hot Cross. I then had an epiphany, found real Hardcore music, listened to scene grind and Job For A Cowboy, found real Hardcore again and haven't turned back since. Though I do listen to a lot of Metal/Doom/Sludge/Post-Rock stuff.
Quote by LPIndin
our rythym guitarist made up the best rap ever. makes fun of the "milkshake song"

my breakdowns bring all the crews to the pit
and theyre like, "lets dance to this ****!"
damn right, we dance to this ****
I 2 step, windmill and spinkick.
I used to be into wicked shitty metalcore like As I Lay Dying and whatever but I have this friend who turned me onto bands like Lifetime, Paint It Black, Modern Life Is War, Breather Resist, From Ashes Rise and a bunch of other good stuff and it grew from there.
I never really went throught he bad-music chain.
My older sister's friends introduced me to Minor Threat and The Gorilla Biscuits at age 8.
It's been progressing ever since.
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
Quote by SilentSpectacle
My older sister's friends introduced me to Minor Threat and The Gorilla Biscuits at age 8.

Lucky, my sister and all of her friends listened to rap.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
I listened to alot of classic rock like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd etc. and then during freshman year I took a liking to Rise Against, then some friends of mine turned me on to A7X and really dug it (Sounding of the seventh Trumpet). After that it went to Atreyu, Underoath, Finch. a diff friend turned me onto As I Lay Dying. then after awhile I got a massive data cd from a friend, which included Norma Jean, The Chariot, Himsa, Darkest Hour, Soilwork, Still Remains, Bleeding Trough, He Is Legend, Unearth and ETID. Then I pirated stuff like crazy the entire summer, Starting with The Fall of Troy, and As Cities Burn, and progressing through to stuff like Between the Buried and Me, Job For A Cowboy, The Number Twelve Looks Like You and stuff like that.

You can see my progression through the concerts I have seen recently: The Fall of Troy(last summer) Warped Tour, Himsa + Parkway Drive, Norma Jean + BTBAM + Misery Signals, and most recently Job For A Cowboy + Psyopus

Hoping to add All Shall Perish to that next week
Quote by Job 4 a Cowboy
I listened to alot of classic rock like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd etc. and then during freshman year I took a liking to Rise Against, then some friends of mine turned me on to A7X and really dug it (Sounding of the seventh Trumpet). After that it went to Atreyu, Underoath, Finch. a diff friend turned me onto As I Lay Dying. then after awhile I got a massive data cd from a friend, which included Norma Jean, The Chariot, Himsa, Darkest Hour, Soilwork, Still Remains, Bleeding Trough, He Is Legend, Unearth and ETID. Then I pirated stuff like crazy the entire summer, Starting with The Fall of Troy, and As Cities Burn, and progressing through to stuff like Between the Buried and Me, Job For A Cowboy, The Number Twelve Looks Like You and stuff like that.

You can see my progression through the concerts I have seen recently: The Fall of Troy(last summer) Warped Tour, Himsa + Parkway Drive, Norma Jean + BTBAM + Misery Signals, and most recently Job For A Cowboy + Psyopus

Hoping to add All Shall Perish to that next week

They are nothing short of amazing live.
Quote by LPIndin
our rythym guitarist made up the best rap ever. makes fun of the "milkshake song"

my breakdowns bring all the crews to the pit
and theyre like, "lets dance to this ****!"
damn right, we dance to this ****
I 2 step, windmill and spinkick.
Quote by Disco Vietnam
They are nothing short of amazing live.

good for me then

plus some other good bands will be there, hopefully these fags wont be there to ruin my time by starting shit with me for something insignificant that happened at a show 5 months ago
I'm seeing NOFX this Friday, then Carpathian and the Melbourne bands next Sunday, then Terror are coming soon (havn't properly looked at the date, it's in a few weeks) then Converge are coming in a month or so, then Alexisonfire soon.

SO GOOD
A little over a year ago, I was listening to pop-punk and really anything. I didn't consider music an important part of my life. I started playing bass, and joined a few of my friends in a band. We didnt know what we were going to play. The drummer suggested we try "How It's Done" by Guns Up! I really had never even heard hardcore before, but I went home and learned the song. I was really digging that band, and decided to check out a few more. I started listening to Have Heart, Bane, Shipwreck, and a couple of others. It was good music, but it still really didnt matter much to me. My other friend, who played in a band called Sink In persuaded me to go to his band's show. At the show, there were 2 indie bands and 2 hardcore bands. When his band got up, they blew me away. The energy and passion that came with the music really got me. I went home and listened to every hardcore song I could find. I started looking up as many bands as I could. I convinced the members of my band (not the one mentioned earlier) to start playing hardcore. I went to a few more shows, and each time became a better experience. I still didnt know much about the ideals that went along with hardcore or it's history, but I was having a good time. Towards the beginning of summer, I began to really look at hardcore. I was listening to a lot of bands like Have Heart, Outbreak, Harder the Fight, Bane, Comeback Kid, etc. I had heard about a band called Gorilla Biscuits. I went to check them out, and loved them. I started to look into the history, and adopted some of the ideals that went along with the music. I went to the Gorilla Biscuits reunion show in Worcester, MA. Changed my life forever. Now I really feel like I'm happy with who I am. Hardcore changed who I am. I don't believe in the same mindless bullshit that was fed to me for so long. I learned to make my own decisions.

I'm now trying to get together a true hardcore band, and I'm booking my first show. Life's pretty good.

I recently read an article written by the singer of My Revenge! I think everyone should read this. It's pretty long, but every word is so true. Read it here:
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=87430956&blogID=228135918&MyToken=ed3bb8dd-9d9e-4cad-9235-a104f9c68655
I was always a classic metaller/hair metal kid. From there I listened to nu-metal (Linkin Park, Deftones, Adema), then grunge (Alice In Chains, Mudhoney), from grunge I found out about Black Flag and Sick of it All, then I went on to some metalcore like PTH, Atreyu, A7x, August Burns Red, Unearth, etc., then I got into extreme metal (Behemoth, Zyklon, Nile, Necrophagist). After I got bored of that I got into BM (Burzum, Tvangeste, Thy Serpent, Emperor, Limbonic Art) and doom (Catacombs, Remembrance, Shape of Despair) and also grindcore (Carcass, Nasum, ****...I'm Dead). So right now I mainly listen to grincore, symphonic BM, classical, funeral doom, and technical death metal.
i got into pop-punk, and sorta went on from there i guess, i once thought metalcore was real hardcore, but then i found better bands and i like them.

but i dont listen to that punk punk rock than most you other guys, i like it, it just hard to find for me when i dont have any money and none of that stuff is on limewire.
I started off with death metal, worked my way into deathcore just because it seemed more "cool and modern" and I could actually go out and see the deathcore bands I was into where as with most of the death metal bands I was into their time had been and gone around the early 90's. Then started to get into grindcore and metalcore and eventualy hardcore and punk.
i was really into nu-metal and would see flyers for local shows, and i would check out the band's by downloading them through like napster and whatever else was popular years ago. One of the flyers had Shai Hulud and Boysetsfire, check those out, and it started from there
I liked bands like P.O.D. and and some christian bands like Newsboys and Dc Talk. Then I started listening to MCR, Senses Fail, and Taking Back Sunday, thinking I was the coolest kid on earth.

Underoath was sort of my "gateway" band along with Emery and AILD. After that it went to the Chariot then to BDM, The Agony Scene, Misery Signals, and the Acacia Strain. Then I joined this website and got hooked on BTBAM. Its been getting better ever since.
Quote by werty22
They're not talking about hardcore punk, they're talking about "hardcore." It has little in common with its roots in the '80s.

Quote by recklessnick
when i ask questions. people reply with a stupid green smiley face sign

Heres lookin to you
My dad listens to alot of classic rock, and that pretty much got me started liking music. Then I got a cd player, and started listening to bands like Newsboys, DC Talk, Third Day and other Christian bands. Then I got some Linkin Park cds from a friend, and thought they were pretty cool. I was trying to keep my standard up and not listen to anything with cussing in it, but eventualy I started listening to Blink 182, and they were my favorite band for quiet awhile. I was also listening to Sum 41, New Found Glory etc...at the time. Then I got an Underoath cd (their only chasing safety) and loved it, thought I was pretty hardcore lmao. Then started listening to From First To Last, Silverstein and such. Then I came to this forum, heard about The Sawtooth Grin, didn't like them at first, but now I love them, and gradualy started listening to heavier and heavier music. I also started to really get into post-rock. And now I', here. If it wasn't for this forum I don't know what I would be listening to right now, this forum has changed my life lol.
-Zach
Me too, speaking of which does anyone know how that Magazine project called Espial or w/e Silent Spectacle started is coming along?
Quote by werty22
They're not talking about hardcore punk, they're talking about "hardcore." It has little in common with its roots in the '80s.

Quote by recklessnick
when i ask questions. people reply with a stupid green smiley face sign

Heres lookin to you
Quote by guitarwannabe16
Me too, speaking of which does anyone know how that Magazine project called Espial or w/e Silent Spectacle started is coming along?

I don't think that ended up happening, unless it did and he left me out of it.
Quote by guitarwannabe16

Espial was kind of a failed idea that ended up fueling me making a record label instead.
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
When I was really little I liked alternative, as I hit about grade 8 I found my tastes centred mostly in speed metal and I started getting into death metal. By grade 11 I was mostly into industrial and techno and had no real interest in guitar based music, then I heard Mindless Self Indulgence and Dillinger Escape Plan, this drew my taste mostly towards 'weird' rock, noise, no-wave and the like. This lead to discovering The Locust and similar bands, somehow I found myself at www.fourfa.com, downloaded some of the recommended bands, then chased after every emo, powerviolence, crust and grindcore band I could hear.

Which leaves us here.

Oh, PS: Some 14 year old girl lent me a Norma Jean CD. Normally any CD a 14 year old girl offers is bound to be crap, but this one had nothing to do but sit on her ass looking up new bands to listen to.
Last edited by STABxYOU at Feb 11, 2007,
Poison the Well really opened my eyes to hardcore. From internetz and friends I got started to like From Autumn to Ashs, Underoath(old), Unearth, Atreyu, Haste the Day, Silverstein, Alexisonfire. As of now, I'm into The Devil Wears Prada, Drop Dead Gorgeous, A Skylit Drive, Fear Before the March of Fames, Sinai Beach and Versus the Mirror.
When I was in 8th grade I guess I had a reputation for being a shr3dlar, and some kids who were already into hardcore asked me to join their band. I wasn't really into it at the time, but that was when I was first exposed to Black Flag, Minor Threat etc
Quote by JobForACowboy
um, yes it is.

sry if you havent heard of it, death metal bands that wear girl jeans = emodeath
I started with pop-punk and pop metal music
and slowly worked my way to liking metalcore.

It went kind of like this:

Blink 182-
Linkin Park (Just Hybrid Theory)-
Sum41-
Lostprophets-
Killswitch Engage-
It Dies Today-

Then Metalcore kind of clicked.
Avenged Sevenfold's 'Bat Country' on the radio. Yes, I got into it that recently... now I don't even listen to the radio any more. I'm more into metalcore, like all that remains, old trivium, the autumn offering, killswitch engage, darkest hour. I get it all from here, pretty much.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
I got into metalcore when I first saw the video for Confined by As I Lay Dying.
--
...and the world sighed in relief
sixth grade on i listened to nu-metal stuff. slipknot, mudvayne, ect. then in 8th grade we got cable tv. mtv warped my fragile little mind for a year with underoath and shit like that, and then bout 2 years ago couple seniors at my school got me into still remains (local band for me) and i started listening to metalcore and hanging out at the local club learning about music. now my girlfriends dad is trying to get me into hardcore. he got me into madball and the warriors. i got him into from a second story window and between the buried and me.
Quote by J Lock
Good.
Cause if not, we'd peer pressure you till you cried.
Then we'd bro-rape you.

Quote by LPIndin
sixth grade on i listened to nu-metal stuff. slipknot, mudvayne, ect. then in 8th grade we got cable tv. mtv warped my fragile little mind for a year with underoath and shit like that, and then bout 2 years ago couple seniors at my school got me into still remains (local band for me) and i started listening to metalcore and hanging out at the local club learning about music. now my girlfriends dad is trying to get me into hardcore. he got me into madball and the warriors. i got him into from a second story window and between the buried and me.

isn't it the best when girlfriends/friends parents listen to your music?
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
Quote by SilentSpectacle
isn't it the best when girlfriends/friends parents listen to your music?

I try to show my girlfriend hardcore. She now loves folk punk and enjoys some casual hardcore.

We're getting there.
a friend randomly gave me a mix cd of stuff - and only one song really jumped out in my mind...e.ventually that cd got destroyed - and i had nothing. One day in art class this kid i didnt really know at the time (were now really tight) ...randomly stuck a cd on - and that song jumped out at me. It was actually a Dream Theater tune - and i was walking around singining it while i was working without really realizing it. and soon the realization hit him that i knew the song. He got me some other random DT cds and black dahlia murder and shit.

Time progressed and now im into the weirdest shit around - heavy stuff or things most people cant even begin to stomache (ie Sleepytime Gorilla Museum). Still love my tech this grind that melodic hardcore what the shit ever stuff too. Found alot of bands on this here forum and im the geeky shit that knows all the new bands now for my friends. it all works out in the end.

cheers men.
I liked really soft stuff but around two years ago my friend gave me a Norma Jean and Underoath cd but I didn't like either of them until I put them down for about a month or two and then picked them up again and i liked the Underoath(but still not so much the Norma Jean) then I ordered an As Cities Burn and He Is Legend and absolutely loved it from the first time I heard it then I just kept buying Solid State cds and then decided to go more underground and buy more unknown artists

By the way I listened to Norma Jean last summer once more just in case and now they are one of my favorite band I love all their cds even O God The Aftermath
I used to listen to a lot of Metal, when i wanted something a bit heavier i moved to Melodic Death Metal (Soilwork, at the gates, ect...) which naturally led to Metalcore. At first i was really into stuff like Norma Jean and Underoath, but now i'm slowly moving towards more melodic stuff again like Atreyu and Killswitch Engage.
My guitar teacher is friends with Roger Miret, so yeah, that's how it started. Also, I got into a little bit of hardcore from the punk I listen to.
Quote by razzamataz
I used to listen to a lot of Metal, when i wanted something a bit heavier i moved to Melodic Death Metal (Soilwork, at the gates, ect...) which naturally led to Metalcore. At first i was really into stuff like Norma Jean and Underoath, but now i'm slowly moving towards more melodic stuff again like Atreyu and Killswitch Engage.

haha the difference between your story and a lot of other peoples is that you went from crap to crap
How can I keep Stability
On such shaky ground?
Prayers that a smile will flag me down.
Quote by razzamataz

Wow, i've never heard of anyone progressing into a n00b.
Quote by SilentSpectacle
Shit dude, I was still listening to Oasis and other assorted Britpop/Indie at age 8, even until I was about 13 or 14 probably. I come from a tourist town where families go on holidays and where old people come to retire, so loud threatening music wasn't really around. I know there's a few bands around there now but not many, and they're mostly pretty bad.

I started with the Offspring, and went further into their back catalogue after I got Smash, then moved onto Bad Religion, Millencolin, etc. After drifting around like that for a while I got into Finch, A Static Lullaby, early Funeral for a Friend, Million Dead, Alexisonfire, The Bronx and Rise Against, those kind of bands. I was probably about 16.

Then I came to Uni and I could afford my own computer, which is when the fun properly started. Most of my student loan has gone on CDs and tickets. I branched out into a bit of Most Precious Blood, which was probably the first hardcore band I was into. I've now got a bit of Terror, The Letters Organize, Dead Kennedys and Minor Threat obviously, Cancer Bats, This is Hell, Give up the Ghost, Comeback Kid, November Coming Fire and a ton more. I like a bit of melody, what can I say?

I listen to other stuff too, but hardcore and it's many subgenres and companions make up a sizeable portion.
Last edited by kryptonite22 at Feb 19, 2007,
my friend invited me to go to a show with him. The lineup was (if i can remember) Chariot, Fear Before the march of Flames, and Underoath. I liked what I heard, looked them up on purevolume, and kinda went from there.
Page 1 of 2