Hi, im debating which of the two to get. I play a lot of metal/hard rock etc so i think that the lp suits that better than the strat however i know that Ameircan strats are well built and you can get humbuckers in them to get a bit more of a metal tone (fatstrat), and at the end of the day, epiphone lp's are just bump offs of the actual gibson. I got £1000 to spend on a guitar and an amp, obviously if i get the strat im restricted to a pretty cheap amp, but if i get the les paul then i can get a more expensive amp, maybe even push myself to afford an engl screamer. So essentially, im asking would an American fat strat or an epi les paul custom (Alpine white yeah baby) suit me better? Cheers.
Quote by johnny_tapia
Fender for the long run definitely

Does a fender with a dual coil make it worth less than fenders with three single coils? ie for the future if i sell it.
Why does it have to be an American Strat? You could just as easily get a decent MIM Strat and swap out the pickups for something a little bit more metal and still have enough.

Though with the two options placed upon here I would have to say Stratocaster. I find it to be more comfortable and versatile.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
nah it shouldn't, although I have never played a dual coil
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by Generalpwnt
Why does it have to be an American Strat? You could just as easily get a decent MIM Strat and swap out the pickups for something a little bit more metal and still have enough.

Though with the two options placed upon here I would have to say Stratocaster. I find it to be more comfortable and versatile.

Hmmm, i would have said that a lp was more versitile. I dont want to mess on with pickups, thats why if i got a strat it would be a fat strat (with a humbucker in)
i play a dual coil fender with 2 single coils as well. let me tell you the dual coil picks up nice pinch harmonics and harmonics, fender all the way it's a versatile guitar. though i do recomend you get one with a dual coil becuase it will be more versatile if you would like to explore more into the metal genre. 3 singles are good but i find them sometimes to be too bright and the humming a bit irritating.
Quote by david_safc
Hmmm, i would have said that a lp was more versitile. I dont want to mess on with pickups, thats why if i got a strat it would be a fat strat (with a humbucker in)

I find strats more versatile as there are more pickup options with it and the neck is thinner which would aid in soloing. This is compared to the Les Paul which only accepts dual humbuckers and a rather fat neck. Don't get me wrong, the Les Paul is a beautiful guitar that has awesome tone. It's just that I've grown rather fond of the Stratocaster.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by Generalpwnt
I find strats more versatile as there are more pickup options with it and the neck is thinner which would aid in soloing. This is compared to the Les Paul which only accepts dual humbuckers and a rather fat neck. Don't get me wrong, the Les Paul is a beautiful guitar that has awesome tone. It's just that I've grown rather fond of the Stratocaster.

Yeah i suppose your right there, I may just get a nice American strat with a humbucker in then save up for a gibson lp if i really want one. I suppose if I wanted to sell the srtat for some reason i could replace the humbucker wit a single coil pickup couldnt I?
hmmm fat strat or epi les paul custom? Hmmm I own both my epi isnt a custom though just a standard --- I would say since the epi les pauls are made in china now go with the strat - my epi is a korean made one is I would put it up against any gibson lp any day but the china made epis dont sound nor feel or weigh the same to me. One thing about the fat strat is mine is an older model and has a tendancy to be noisey but otherwise is an awesome player too. Here is another thought for you try a schecter (own a schecter hellraiser too lol ) they really impressed me when I first tried them out. The hellraiser can be gotten with the floyd rose bridge and hellraisers come with emg81/85 active pick ups, and a set neck and is a great metal guitar. The schecter classic has seymour duncan designed pick-ups (a bit more versatility there) and is a neck thru guitar that runs at about $650 USD. hope it helps you out a little.
I'd prefer the Epi LP anytime over the strat, suiting your musical tastes.

However, let's see which amp you have.
Quote by Invictious
I'd prefer the Epi LP anytime over the strat, suiting your musical tastes.

However, let's see which amp you have.

Im getting either a marshall dls401 or a marshall tsl601
i think the american strats would be better than a epi, but epi are better than mex strats. but nah sadly ive got say amerucan fenders are better than a epi, i prefer gibson to american strats though
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass