View poll results: New ONLY Thread?
Yes
168 75%
No
56 25%
Voters: 224.
Page 1 of 18
Classic Rock Project Discussion

After discussing with Maet and a few other users, it was suggested that there should be some sort of discussion thread in which the various projects that are going on in the Classic Rock forum can be talked about. This thread will serve that purpose.

RULES
1. DO NOT SPAM. I am usually pretty lenient here, but seriously, don't spam this thread. I don't want to have to hand out warnings/bans.
2. You can use this thread to discuss:
a) The Classic Rock Recommendation Thread
-suggestions

*NOTE: continue to recommend artists through the other thread, not here*

b) The Classic Rock Album Thread
- Individual album reviews
- your thoughts
- corrections
- suggestions

*NOTE: continue to sign up for/submit reviews through the other thread, not here*

c) The Classic Rock Video Thread
d) The ONLY _________ Thread
- When it's time for a new one,
- Bands to be considered for the next one

e) future projects, recommendations, ideas

That's about it as far as rules are concerned. I will add onto this post if I feel it is necessary.

Discuss.

EDIT: excuse my shitty poll options, I meant to add more to it, but I submitted it too quick

EDIT 2: ONLY threads are pretty much out of the question, since we don't have stickied ONLY threads, we just use larger threads about bands. So stop voting in the poll (which I can't remove)
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
I think there should be a ONLY Doors thread, there's like 3 at once and then none for about a week and then 3 at once again, and there was talk about it in the last one, so I think an ONLY Doors thread would be a good idea
^^3 posts into this thread and there is already spam. Looks like I'm gonna have to be a little more serious with spam. Warning for you.
Quote by Thefallofman
I don't know if there should be. If users would use a thing called a "search" button, then there could be an ongoing one. But people don't seem to do it if what you said is true. I don't know, I'm not into The Doors. I think that there shouldn't be an ONLY _____ Thread. People complain because the one that they want isn't up there, so it seems kind of dumb to have. Like right now with the Led Zeppelin thread being stickied. People complain about it occasionally. I saw in the Queen thread somone complaining that Queen should be up there. So I personally (but there is room for opinion) think that there shouldn't be one up there. Thoughts?
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
^^if there wasn't an ONLY Led Zeppelin thread, there would probably be a ton of other Zeppelin threads in the Classic Rock forum. Part of the purpose of an ONLY thread is not only to discuss a band, but to keep the forum a little neater, eliminating other threads from that artist.

I couldn't care less if there was one or not. I could unsticky it and just let it float around. But there is a misconception about threads that have seemed to become ONLY threads that are not stickied (like Zappa, Rush, and Pink Floyd), that there can't be any more threads about those artists. A lot of people report other threads about those bands that show up, however, if they pose a legitimate question/discussion, I don't see why they can't stay.
Quote by Thefallofman
I understand why you have the ONLY ______ threads. It's the sticky that doesn't seem to need to be there (to me). I mean, maybe on a more miscellanious band, but not on someone like Rush, Zappa, Floyd or any of them. They have enough people interested towhere they'll probably remain near the top of the page. I know that the LZ one will, and Floyd and Rush. So, to conclude, the only bands that would really need to be stickied would be bands like The Doors, who not as many people discuss. I obviously "think" that I'm right (otherwise I wouldn't have said it ...), but what do you think?

Hopefully more people will discuss this.

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
^^aha, taking the other side, eh? Again, doesn't matter to me, if people want a new ONLY thread, I'll set it up.

EDIT: matter of fact, how bout a poll to find out
Quote by Thefallofman
Hahah, what do you mean taking the other side?

If people want a new ONLY thread, I don't see problems in that. It's just that when they aren't maintained, people go and make another one. And then ofcourse you get the people who come in and make a Wolfmother thread, or a "What gear does so and so use?" thread. That's fine and dandy if there isn't a thread about the band, but at the same time, you should just make a thread about the band (using bold for incase anyone is reading and doesn't already do this, not because I think you're ignorant BD) if there isn't already one about that band. Obviously, you should use a search button, and if there isn't a thread about the band, ask in there as your first post and give some rules and such along with it. That's a lot better to the entire forum, but it seems like people just get too lazy to do stuff like that.

BD, what's up with two discussion threads... or did I catch you in the middle of updating? (edit: ok, it's gone )

Anyways, I wouldn't mind another ONLY thread, but I'd have to see some options to decide if it's worthwhile. As much as I'd love a big thread for one of my favorite prog bands, it a.) probably wouldn't get enough responses to justify it and b.) it's not like it would really solve any spamming problems.

But the Led Zep thread will do just fine not being stickied, so if another thread REALLY wants to be stickied for whatever reason, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
So the threads have feelings now?

I'd have to see a list too, but you brought up a great point. Would the new thread get enough posts? That's a question that should be asked too. Will it get posts, or will it just sit stagnantly at the top of the page? It's a very difficult decision.

BD, you should add to the pole "I would need to see a list." That would help make it a bit more accurate as to what UG and the people of this forum want.

Quote by psychodelia
As much as I'd love a big thread for one of my favorite prog bands, it a.) probably wouldn't get enough responses to justify it and b.) it's not like it would really solve any spamming problems.
right.

Quote by Page&HammettFan
Hahah, what do you mean taking the other side?
well I was suggesting that the ONLY Thread is used for popular bands that have too many threads and you are suggesting that it be used for a less popular band, or atleast one whose threads continue to die

I also have something I've been thinking about for the Recommendation Thread. I was thinking, why not include a small section for recommended bands that are not Classic Rock, but if you are a Classic Rock fan, you might like them. I mentioned it to wilty in a PM and he was ok with it. Of course, I'd be a little stricter with this, it wouldn't be a huge section, just a little extra.

Quote by Page&HammettFan

BD, you should add to the pole "I would need to see a list." That would help make it a bit more accurate as to what UG and the people of this forum want.
yeah, uhh...I wanted to edit the poll, but apparently I can't do so
Quote by Thefallofman
Well, you're the mod. Find a way! Wish I could help ya there bro

I like the idea to the section in the Rec Thread. The Black Crowes could then be in here (where I feel they rightfully belong ). They do appeal to CR fans to an extent. Maybe Joe Satriani? I'm listening to Blow By Blow, and it has some similarities to Satch Boogie (which is the only Sat song I've heard). I know that he wanted it to sound like Beck a bit though.

Well as I stated above though, would a thread for misc bands actually get posts? Probably only by a few people, like two discussing it. We can try and come up with a thread to hold several misc bands in it though? They could all have similar sounds, which would possibly make it work? The issue would be:

People wanting to discuss a different band than the one that is on topic. And of course, people saying that another band sucked, and that this type of thread was against the rules?

Quote by Page&HammettFan

I like the idea to the section in the Rec Thread. The Black Crowes could then be in here
that's exactly my point.

Quote by Thefallofman
So you only want that so that the Crowes can be in here?

I know of a guy named Michael Hedges that is really good. He plays folk, and really almost anyone can like him. He does fit into this forums' time frame, but he isn't really CR. Neither is George Benson really. If you don't have an other section to that thread, may I suggest adding one? This will make artists like this a part of the thread, and you could have a special place for them. Actually, if you don't, this could be an awesome idea to contribute. You could put down what style they are next to their names, so that people have an idea of what they're getting.

Another addition to that thread would be linking the name of the album to the album in the Review Project. That would help people decide if it was something that they wanted? Do you like these two ideas?

Note: We have already contributed several ideas to help this entire forum in only 15 posts (counting this one). This is going to be such a great thread for the entire forum

Maybe we could try one or two of these threads and see how they work out? Just put it out there and see, I ike the ideas so far.

Edit: Yes that would be cool. ^^

Not just classic rock sounding bands but actual classic rock bands that sounded different, may take a while to get working perfectly seeing the info we'll put but I think it would be a great addition to the forum.
And P&HFan it's 16 usefull posts.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Feb 9, 2007,
Quote by Page&HammettFan
So you only want that so that the Crowes can be in here?
not only, but mostly There are a couple of other bands that I feel are worth recommending.

Quote by Page&HammettFan
I know of a guy named Michael Hedges that is really good. He plays folk, and really almost anyone can like him. He does fit into this forums' time frame, but he isn't really CR. Neither is George Benson really. If you don't have an other section to that thread, may I suggest adding one? This will make artists like this a part of the thread, and you could have a special place for them. Actually, if you don't, this could be an awesome idea to contribute. You could put down what style they are next to their names, so that people have an idea of what they're getting.
If I add a section like that, I'll add those artists.

Quote by Page&HammettFan
Another addition to that thread would be linking the name of the album to the album in the Review Project. That would help people decide if it was something that they wanted? Do you like these two ideas?
Greaaaat...MORE work?! Maybe *MAYBE* if I have some free time and I feel up to it I'll link some up.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by BrainDamage
^^aha, taking the other side, eh? Again, doesn't matter to me, if people want a new ONLY thread, I'll set it up.

EDIT: matter of fact, how bout a poll to find out

I don't really like ONLY threads too much because I find them too long.

But I do think an ONLY ACDC Thread may be in need.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
It's too bad some of us can't help make these threads, that way if BD didn't have time one of us could you know? Well we could write stuff and BD can post/edit thme like the album thread.

^^There's already an only AC/DC thread...
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Oh I knew it would. And you have to consider how many people will actually look at it too. But I think that it is a good idea, in theory?

In theory for sure, of course if anyone wants to give me MOD powers i'd be more than happy to work on the threads.

Edit: There's already a Pink FLoyd only thread.

This is the second time i've done this.

Quote by Page&HammettFan

Oh I knew it would. And you have to consider how many people will actually look at it too. But I think that it is a good idea, in theory?
yeah it is. There is so much code in that damn recommendation thread though...colors, sizes, bold, website links...this will just add to the madness
Quote by Thefallofman
Well lets just start the thread off as a simple one than add to it if it gets popular later on. We don't need the complicated links and codes from the start, see if the thread is successful then put time into it.

Quote by zeppelinpage4
It's too bad some of us can't help make these threads, that way if BD didn't have time one of us could you know? Well we could write stuff and BD can post/edit thme like the album thread.

^^There's already an only AC/DC thread...

Oh sorry I didn't realize that. Anyways maybe an ONLY Rolling Stones Thread?

Quote by Kartman

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Well lets just start the thread off as a simple one than add to it if it gets popular later on. We don't need the complicated links and codes from the start, see if the thread is successful thne put time into it.

I don't think we were talking about a new thread...
Quote by Thefallofman
Edit: WTF are we takling about!!

Seriously I think I missed something.

So far:

1. ONLY Thread? Yes or no.
2. Add a section to the Classic Rock Recommendation Thread consisting of non-Classic Rock bands that Classic Rock fans would like.
3. Link album reviews from the Album Review Project to album recommendations in the Recommendation Thread.

EDIT: another thing...if I do go through with these links, and a reviewed album isn't recommended for an artist, I'm not going to add/link it.
Quote by Thefallofman
If you want an ONLY Rolling Stones thread, you can. Stickying is really unnecessary though.
If I could help do that then I would BD.

Oh ok I thought you were making a new seperate thread for that non-classic rock bit.

Thanks

Well to restate that post, let's see how the non-classic rock bit works then improve upon it and put more time into that part of the thread.

Quote by Page&HammettFan
If you want an ONLY Rolling Stones thread, you can. Stickying is really unnecessary though.
If I could help do that then I would BD.
I wouldn't start a thread with a title like "the ONLY Stones Thread," unless it was to be stickied in place of the Zep one. I feel like it would be too strict, we'd have a bunch of threads designated to certain bands and you couldn't post any other threads about those bands. I have no problem with more then one thread about a band if they present a decent idea.
Quote by Thefallofman
Yea. Well some bands will be CR, they just would be on the section called "Other" (if BD wants that in there) because they don't fit in with the norm. There would also be some bands like GN'R that would go in because most CR fans would atleast enjoy their cover songs. The thing is, distinguishing between what should and shouldn't go in. That is your challenge. I think that Tommy Tutone would go in (not sure when they started). If you're having doubts, you could always just listen to the song "Jenny (8675309)". That one is kind of CRish IMO. I don't know. We'd probably discuss it in here, as far as who can come in and who can't.

Quote by BrainDamage
I wouldn't start a thread with a title like "the ONLY Stones Thread," unless it was to be stickied in place of the Zep one. I feel like it would be too strict, we'd have a bunch of threads designated to certain bands and you couldn't post any other threads about those bands. I have no problem with more then one thread about a band if they present a decent idea.

Just as long as there's no ONLY Beatles thread I'm happy.

Have you changed the MC5 from Multi-Genre to Hard Rock in the Recommendation Thread? (sorry it's been bugging me)

Quote by Kartman

^^yes.

Quote by Page&HammettFan
Yea. Well some bands will be CR, they just would be on the section called "Other" (if BD wants that in there) because they don't fit in with the norm. There would also be some bands like GN'R that would go in because most CR fans would atleast enjoy their cover songs. The thing is, distinguishing between what should and shouldn't go in. That is your challenge. I think that Tommy Tutone would go in (not sure when they started). If you're having doubts, you could always just listen to the song "Jenny (8675309)". That one is kind of CRish IMO. I don't know. We'd probably discuss it in here, as far as who can come in and who can't.
I'm not changing any definition of Classic Rock here, bands would be tagged with whatever genre they are from. Again, I would add bands at my discretion, and like you said, if needed, with a discussion in here.
Quote by Thefallofman
I want to add 54 40 to Classic Rock, but everyone flames me when I say so.

Quote by Kartman

Glad to see my ideas don't go to waste with Brain Damage (the friendly mod).

Quote by BrainDamage
So far:

1. ONLY Thread? Yes or no.
2. Add a section to the Classic Rock Recommendation Thread consisting of non-Classic Rock bands that Classic Rock fans would like.
3. Link album reviews from the Album Review Project to album recommendations in the Recommendation Thread.

EDIT: another thing...if I do go through with these links, and a reviewed album isn't recommended for an artist, I'm not going to add/link it.

1. As I recall, the "ONLY threads" exist as a black hole for all taboo discussion about a single artist. Led Zeppelin has it because they're ridiculously popular, and their primary fanbase are bloody annoying blossoming forum junkies who flood the floor with Page and Plant threads. If a new band were to get it, it should first and foremost be a band that earns a exceptional (in comparison to the rest) amount of trash threads in their honour. Not a band that has periodic justifiable threads (sorry Rush).
2. A new section in the Recommendation thread to cater to CR veterans who want to broaden their horizons would be a good idea I think. Just make sure it's separate from the meat of the thread, with a obvious title to mark the change. Perhaps even a different (or simpler?) colour scheme to boot.
3. To link Album Reviews to the Recommendations seems kinda of unnecessary. Not like it's a bad idea, but I can't imagine it being all that useful. To have a web between them doesn't make all that much sense. Perhaps a list of albums that have been reviewed in the album project thread as a footnote in the recommendation thread would be better (also indicating that links to the respective albums are in the third post (i think) of the album review thread.

So in short...

- New "ONLY" thread for a band that earns a lot of superfluous threads in their name.
- I agree with there being a new section in the recommendation thread for users seeking to broaden their horizons
- A potentially messy web between the Recommendations and Review threads should perhaps be replaced with a footnote at the bottom of the Recommendation thread listing albums that have been recommended and reviewed by CR users in the forum, and where they exactly they can be found. example:

Recommendation thread -> Rush (Hemispheres) -> Footnote post at the bottom of the recommendation thread indicating that Rush (Hemispheres) has also been reviewed in the CR project thread. - > Link in the footnote post to the post in the Review thread that contains links to all albums that have been reviewed.

I'm not sure if I phrased my third point all too well. I'll try again if I didn't.

edit -- BD, maybe get into the habit of dating your latest updates in these projects?
^^or even easier...I'll just add in a little bigger print at the bottom of both threads..."for reviews on some of these recommended albums, view this(link) thread" and "for more album recommendations view this(link) thread."

And will do about the last updates.
Quote by Thefallofman
Whatever, either are good.

edit -- If we're full speed ahead with adding other genres into the Recommendations thread, I'll spear head the electronica and classical section, if there is to be one.
Last edited by Maet at Feb 9, 2007,
I don't see any reason for a stickied only thread all the same, because people fluxuate between who they want to make a threads a day about. Zeppelin aren't too bad anymore (with the exception of that one craze of a bunch of freakin noobs jumpin' off bridges to say that they were reuniting with a bunch of flase information). Van Halen were the same though. Deep Purple and Van Halen seem to be the two that are getting a ton of threads lately though.

A couple of points:

1) I agree with most stuff Maet has said.

2) This is a small thing, but it's been bugging me. Perhaps the "Only Ac/Dc" thread could be re-named with something a little more emphatic, i.e. "The ONLY AC/DC Thread."

3) I seriously think we need another mod in this forum. BD has his work cut out for him.

4) Would 80s bands like G'n'R and Extreme be eligible for the "Not classic rock but you may like this..." section?

-Jacques
Quote by Maet
The fact is, it's the internet. If there's a better reason for the internet besides porn, arguing and piracy, I haven't found it.

Quote by psychodelia
Hey Led Zeppelin is my third favorite guitar player, after Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull.