Alright I was thinking of getting an Ibanez SR506 this summer but none of the stores here have it in stock. The reason why I'm hesitating is because I don't know if I'll have trouble reaching the strings.

So for people who have a 6 string I measured my hand.

Bottom of my palm to middle finger: 17cm/6.7inches
Middle finger: 8cm/3inches

So should I get the 6 string or go with a 5 string?
Hand size doesn't matter at all while playing a 6. Your hand technique will help ease playing greatly if you do it correctly.

I would suggest a 6 if you would like to expand your tonal range and ease of playing higher notes. There are many things a 6 can do that a 4 lacks, such as proper chords, better sweeping opportunities and other melodic applications. Of course, slapping on a 6 is a little tougher (though not impossible), and 6's are a bit heavier on the shoulder than a 4.

Personally, I couldn't be any happier with my 6. It really broadens my playing and allows me to create melodic lines outside of the grasp of a 4.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
The size of your hand doesn't matter at all. If that were the case then there would be no Jean Baudins. All that matters is your thumb placement. The real question is do you need extra notes. If you need more notes than a four string, get a five. If you need more than a five, get a six.
i have a five string and i like it, its a tad big but i like it. my middle finger is three and a half inches, so i dunno. if you do get a six string, get a thinnner neck on it so its easier to stretch. and yeah 7 and a half inches bottom of palm to middle finger. it kinda depends what you play. if youre playing like heavey metal and stuff just stick to the five string its faster and easier to use. if your playing funk or anything but metal pretty much, i'd go with the six string
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
The Special Ed kid of the bass militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join

Quote by fourstringpunk
She looks like an STD vending machine.
Yeah I really want a 6 string for more range. So finger size really doesn't matter at all on the fretting hand? If thats so, I'd definitely going for the 6 string. Thanks.
I just received my Ibanez BTB456 yesterday and I can tell you first hand that unless you have some amazing five string, the SR506 WILL play better than your five, guarenteed.
Quote by Bass Cat
if your playing funk or anything but metal pretty much, i'd go with the six string

What? 6-strings are fine for metal. Just ask John Myung or Mike Lepond.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
^I don't quite follow you here......You're saying that because you just got a BTB456 the SR506 is better than almost any five string? I'm confused.
Quote by Bass Cat
if youre playing like heavey metal and stuff just stick to the five string its faster and easier to use. if your playing funk or anything but metal pretty much, i'd go with the six string

Srsly? That's not what guys like Myung, LePond and Tyr think. Steve DiGiorgio uses a 5-string tuned tenor. Think outside the box.
Gear:
SX SJB62-5 5-String Fretless Jazz Copy (EADGC)
Ibanez GSR200 4-String Fretted (BEAD)
Ibanez IBZ10B 10 Watt Practice Combo Amp
DR Stainless Steel Lo-Riders
Yamaha Air Cell Straps
while i agree that the sixth strin does add more variety to the instrument, i find its not required. as you can see, there are only a handful of bassist who do use the sixth string in regular playing. im not exactly an expert (obviously) and i was just giving my input good to have other opinions though
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
The Special Ed kid of the bass militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join

Quote by fourstringpunk
She looks like an STD vending machine.
FYI LePond doesn't use a 6 string. Don't spread bullshit.

Try before you buy, you can't always depend on measurements.
Quote by salemboicot
6 string....??:?? why don't you just buy a guitar?

Because he's a bass player. A six string bass and an alto guitar are two completely different things. I wish some of the forumers would do their homework before making an ignorant reply.
i am not ignorent, i just don't like anything more than a 4 string. I have more fun messing with the tuning. If someone needs six strings, then they need them, i don't think bass should be more than 4, it is how it has always been. Bass is there to be a bass, not a lead guitar.
^God another thread your infecting with your ignorant views ..... Grrrr

Who said that if you get a Bass with more than 4 strings, you can't keep your rhythm role?? You know the first 5 string was invented to better suit the Bass role?? don't you?? it added a LOWER string some that bands didn't need keyboards to help with the Bass rhythm role.

Anyway thread starter, I think the general view is that is more of a technique stretch than a physical stretch, so if you think it will suit you go for it, its better than regretting not getting the extra string(s) later.
Quote by Kepulix
I love the sound of doom in the morning, it sounds like... victory
Quote by salemboicot
i am not ignorent, i just don't like anything more than a 4 string. I have more fun messing with the tuning. If someone needs six strings, then they need them, i don't think bass should be more than 4, it is how it has always been. Bass is there to be a bass, not a lead guitar.

If there would be only people like you, we'd still be using upright basses, we'd only play orchestrated music and there would of been no progress at all in the world.
Quote by salemboicot

It seems to me like the "why not just buy a guitar" comment was pretty ignorant. Obviously you were ignorant of the six string basses role in music and it's ability to play melodies and bass lines simultaneously. Also, bass has not always had four strings. There have been 5, 6, and even 7 string upright basses. As far as bass being there to be bass, and not lead guitar, well, I couldn't disagree more. I think any instrument should be used as a forum of expression. Whether that is sweeping ridiculously high runs on a six or seven string bass, or pounding out rhythms on one. It's all about expression, and about speaking your mind through music. If you are satisfied with doing that on only four strings then more power to you. But if you don't have anything helpful to provide to a thread that you know deals with ERBs then just stay away.
Quote by salemboicot

The original fender prototype for the electric Bass had 3 strings becuse of phear of the increadble tention of upright Bass strings.

So technically you are going against your own word by owning a 4 string Bass.

Also, 5 string Double Basses are fairly common.
Quote by Ranxston
I like my steak medium, doesn't mean anybody cares.

Best reply in the whole thread.
Yeah and some guy owns a 2 string and he says the E and A strings are the only ones a bassist should need and anyone playing the D and G strings to be fancy should play lead guitar.
Pfft.

anyone that has more than an E string and more than 10 frets shouldn't even be playing Bass! They shoudl be SHOT! AND KILLED! AND MAIMED! AND DESTROYED! AND THERE SOULS EATEN! AND THEIR HEARTS RIPPED OUT OF THEIR CHEST!