I own a Epiphone G400 and as far as im concerned it is a good guitar. However, I was wondering is there really that much of a difference between a epiphone and a gibson? their styles are the same, such as les paul and sg styles. As far as im concerned the only thing that is a major difference is the name and price.
Bishop of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join
LONG LIVE ZEP
If you want to know what's different, the answer is everything. If your epiphone seems as good as a Gibson to you, then stick with it until you feel it is lacking something, both in sound and playablity.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
Quote by TheNextPage23
As far as im concerned the only thing that is a major difference is the name and price.

Epiphones are like licenced Gibson copies. They're mostly built with the same specs, but using cheaper woods and hardware, and cheaper labour. A lot of Epiphones are good value for money, but they can't compare with the Gibsons
Last edited by kyrreca at Feb 9, 2007,
Have you ever played a Gibson before?
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
gibsons are hand made. They play so much nicer and sound way better then epiphones.
Wow, Epiphones are just economy versions of Gibsons... Good guitars too... Offer a great price to quality ratio.
If life gives you mushrooms, make mammoths.
epi's use cheaper materials. pickups are also not as good
If you want to play some emo music, I recommend using these settings:
Gain:0
Bass:0
Mid:0
Treble:0
Presence:0
Master Volume:0
Quote by swervin
gibsons are hand made. They play so much nicer and sound way better then epiphones.

not true. there built in america, not hand made.
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
Quote by Teh_Zombie

the body is cut by a machine, its just some of the finish thats put on by hand. Gibson's are NOT hand made. If you are saying a guitar is hand made, it must be made completely made by hand by a luthier. Just wait till Algee comes in here, he's gonna rip you a new one...
GEAR

Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard Plus
Marshall JCM 800 half stack
Gibson is not all hand made, but more than some other brands.

Epiphone is a copy brand of Gibson and the quality is not half as good. All though they give more value for the money than some Gibsons.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by Muppet
Gibson is not all hand made, but more than some other brands.

Epiphone is a copy brand of Gibson and the quality is not half as good. All though they give more value for the money than some Gibsons.

Gibson quality control is about half as good as epiphone. Your getting you moneys worth with an epi, but with a gibby your paying for an epiphone with slightly better pickups, mildly better wood, and a nitro finish. And a name. Mainly the name.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.