Im in a death metal band and were playing alot of shows lately and the solid state and washburn isn't gonna cut it anymore. I am wanting to get a new head a new guitar. For the head i am wanting something with tons of distortion but something that has a decent clean thats won't put out drive at a live volume. I am looking at a couple heads but want to know which will suit my needs the most and not get gay at a dropped tuning (i tune to drop B)

1. Marshall Mode Four Head
2. Peavey 5150/5150II block letter
3. Mesa Dual Rectifier
4. Krank Krankenstein or Revolution

And for the Guitar part something with decent pickups (i'll probably be switching to EMGs anyway) and it has to be able to hold the tuning w/o the strings getting to loose. heres a couple guitars i've been thinking about

1. Ibanez S540EX
2. ESP EC-400
3. Jackson DXMG/DK2
if you wanna drop tune... stay away from tremolo bridges... they are a huge pain in the ass with drop tunings...
Quote by zparticus
if you wanna drop tune... stay away from tremolo bridges... they are a huge pain in the ass with drop tunings...

Would it still be a pain if i get it set with the strings i use now to drop B? thanks for the info i'll keep that in mind
Peavey 5150 or Mesa Dual Rectifier for amp and LTD EC500. The EC500 comes with emgs so you don't have to bother
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
How much could i get a EC500 for cause i don't want to spend a ton cause that'll take away from the head price
Alright man. I'm a metal guy as well and I'll set you straight!!

For a guitar buy a ESP LTD H-1000. Its a higher quality hellraiser with better materials, better fit and finish and has locking tuners! If you play heavy Metal live, you NEED locking tuners!!!
Awsome guitar.

On the Amp side.

The Mode four is suprizingly good. But the Crate GT-3500H blows the mode four out the water. Check these two heads out. Both under $1000 and they could be your cup of tea! ( on the solid-state end of things)

If your going for tube. The Krank will have more saturation than the mesa but not as much thickess (this is your preference here).To my ears, MESA rectifiers are a bit thin.

The best metal amps are either the Dezial VH4 or the bogner Uberschall. However those are in the 2-3 grand teritory. Also play a Blue Voodoo 300. Canible Corporse (spelling?) Use that exact head on their new album and on tour.
Last edited by Ubershall404 at Feb 9, 2007,
Quote by Ubershall404
Alright man. I'm a metal guy as well and I'll set you straight!!

For a guitar buy a ESP LTD H-1000. Its a higher quality hellraiser with better materials, better fit and finish and has locking tuners! If you play heavy Metal live, you NEED locking tuners!!!
Awsome guitar.

On the Amp side.

The Mode four is suprizingly good. But the Crate GT-3500H blows the mode four out the water. Check these two heads out. Both under $1000 and they could be your cup of tea! ( on the solid-state end of things)

If your going for tube. The Krank will have more saturation than the mesa but not as much thickess (this is your preference here).To my ears, MESA rectifiers are a bit thin.

The best metal amps are either the Dezial VH4 or the bogner Uberschall. However those are in the 2-3 grand teritory. Also play a Blue Voodoo 300. Canible Corporse (spelling?) Use that exact head on their new album and on tour.

Nice dude i'll check that out. Is it worth spending the extra dough on the H1000 or like the EC1000
Quote by soulreaper666
How much could i get a EC500 for cause i don't want to spend a ton cause that'll take away from the head price

Whoops I just searched it and it's discontinued... I just looked it up on www.espguitars.com .

In that case just get the EC400.

Edit: The EC1000 has 2 extra frets, abalone binding and inlays, quilted maple top and locking tuners.

The H1001 has an emg 85 instead of 60, no maple top, and it's neck through.

If it were me I'd still go with the EC400 or EC1000. Depending on if you like the binding and locking tuners. Anyways you could always put locking tuners on the EC400 later and save money now.
-Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by mw7 at Feb 10, 2007,
O yea. I asume you use pretty heavy downstrokes if you play in drop B. ( rock on by the way!!!) With out a locking tuning peg, the guitar wont stay in tune in a live situation from the aggressive playing. I know from experience with this one . Mabey in your bedroom it will stay true with normal pegs, but not at a show.

Absolutly spend some extra cash now for the H or EC 1000 (which ever you like more). You'll get fed up with the 500 and end up buying the 1000 later (if you get serious that is) I went the other way and bought medicore gear first. Mistake! I ended up selling it and buying the good stuff anyway.

Right now I play the GT-3500H with 2 BV cabs side by side and it owns. Its as close as you can get to the Uberschall or Dezial without paying the big bucks. I played every other high gain head under $1000 and to my ear its was the meanist and best sound!

Rock on man!!!
Last edited by Ubershall404 at Feb 10, 2007,
Quote by Ubershall404
O yea. I asume you use pretty heavy downstrokes if you play in drop B. ( rock on by the way!!!) With out a locking tuning peg, the guitar wont stay in tune in a live situation from the aggressive playing. I know from experience with this one . Mabey in your bedroom it will stay true with normal pegs, but not at a show.

Absolutly spend some extra cash now for the H or EC 1000 (which ever you like more). You'll get fed up with the 500 and end up buying the 1000 later (if you get serious that is) I went the other way and bought medicore gear first. Mistake! I ended up selling it and buying the good stuff anyway.

Right now I play the GT-3500H with 2 BV cabs side by side and it owns. Its as close as you can get to the Uberschall or Dezial without paying the big bucks. I played every other high gain head under $1000 and to my ear its was the meanist and best sound!

Rock on man!!!

Thanks dude i might get that GT-3500H. does it have good cleans?
Quote by soulreaper666
Whats the difference between the EC400 and the EC1000 as far as specs?

I already posted about that, but again, the EC1000 has 2 extra frets, abalone binding and inlays, quilted maple top and locking tuners.
-Jimi Hendrix