I love my RG, but it's not perfect for me. What I would kill for is the RG exactly the same, but with a neck like that of my strat, ie, rounder (C-shape, around 230mm) and a tad wider.

Two questions:

1. Is this even possible? I find that round-neck guitars such as the JS don't have the high-fret access of flat-neck guitars like the RG. I want 24 frets, and I want to get up to at least the 22nd with minimal hassle. The RG or similar super-strats are the only ones I've played that can do this. But there are heaps of guitars I haven't played.

2. If it is possible, are there any guitars out there which already which have it? Round, large neck without compromising high-fret access?
Ibanez RG1570
Fender Mexican Fat Strat

Engl Thunder 50 Reverb combo
Engl Classic Combo 350C
Line 6 Flextone III
Roland Microcube

Line 6 Podxt Live
Marshall Guv'nor
Fret access comes from your hands, if you cant reach it with proper technique then you're the one causing the problems. Neck radius is total preference, same goes for fret sizes and neck joint (i find that AANJ and normal square joint isnt much difference). It may aid on higher fret access to some, but some just doesnt find that different anyhows.

It is possible to have rounder neck radius much like the JS/strat but you'd have to place custom order for one (not from Ibanez, they wont make you one). If you find that the Wizard profile/radius doesnt suit you, then probably you should try a different brand.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at Feb 9, 2007,
fret access doesn't come from your technique you jackass. So your saying you could play a regular dreadnought style acoustic all the way to the 20th fret without any hassle or hand adjustment?

But to answer the thread starters question/ comment... Carvin have what your looking for, unfortunately, their prices are way over the top. PRS makes guitars similar to Carvin's style, but they are pricey as well.

Have you thought of putting a fender neck on an ibanez body? Or better yet, buy a fender neck, and invest in a pre-made body, then modify it to your specs.
^yeah thanks, I went to the websites of those brands but none of them tell you the neck radius of their guitars unfortunately.

You positive that those models have round necks? I'll try to find a dealer and play them in the shop.

^^ i love the the fender necks, but would they fit on an rg?? ideally i'd like 24 frets too, but i could do without the extra two if necessary
Ibanez RG1570
Fender Mexican Fat Strat

Engl Thunder 50 Reverb combo
Engl Classic Combo 350C
Line 6 Flextone III
Roland Microcube

Line 6 Podxt Live
Marshall Guv'nor
Quote by Kris_man
^yeah thanks, I went to the websites of those brands but none of them tell you the neck radius of their guitars unfortunately.

You positive that those models have round necks? I'll try to find a dealer and play them in the shop.

^^ i love the the fender necks, but would they fit on an rg?? ideally i'd like 24 frets too, but i could do without the extra two if necessary

seriously, try each different ones at your local stores

and fender necks dont fit on RGs, different neck joint
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic