Hi, I just purchased my DS-1 from Muscian's Friend on January 1/31. It arrived in the mail on Feb 2, 2007. I started playing with it, using two Monster Cables that are perfectly fine, and I notice that sometimes when I push down on the pedal, the volume just gives out randomly. Like I set it so that way I don't lose any volume between distortion and the clean sound, but then randomly when I switch over, it sounds completely dead. There is barely any sound coming out of the amp... I don't think it is the cables, considering when I play them from my guitar directly to the amp, They sound find, and they can both play distortion and clean, but when I hook them up to the pedal, it goes nuts. What can I do?
-Roy

My Gear
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster
Washburn Lyon (LCT24)
Silvertone Revolver Bass
Ibanez IJV50 Acoustic
Fender CD160E-12
Guild Starfire IV
Some cruddy classical that my parents bought off ebay for like 40 bucks.
It's probably happening because the switch isn't switching properly. Since the pedal is new it probably just needs a little time to break in. If the problem persists make sure to return it before the 45 day period is up.
Member #1 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club
PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo

Ibanez RG1570
Tone Zone
Paf Pro
Aria STG-003DX
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Boss DD-20
MXR ZW-44
Boss TU-2
Quote by shuriken
change the damn batteries

Yeah, they ship with almost dead batteries so they don't leak. If you haven't changed the battery, that's your problem.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Ok, I did change the batteries, same effect

Now I am noticing that if I step on the pedal, and hold my foot on the pedal for about 5 or so seconds the pedal kicks in and then after that period it works fine, but to switch effects I have to step on it and hold it down for 5 seconds.
-Roy

My Gear
Washburn Lyon (LCT24)
Silvertone Revolver Bass
Ibanez IJV50 Acoustic
Fender CD160E-12
Guild Starfire IV
Could this be because of the circuitry?
-Roy

My Gear
Washburn Lyon (LCT24)
Silvertone Revolver Bass
Ibanez IJV50 Acoustic
Fender CD160E-12
Guild Starfire IV
Looks like your switch isn't activating when you step on it, open up the pedal and adjust it or tighten the screw on the edge of the plate to create less resistance.
Could the screw be too far in meaning it would increase resistance?

Sorry I'm a pedal newb.
-Roy

My Gear
Washburn Lyon (LCT24)
Silvertone Revolver Bass
Ibanez IJV50 Acoustic
Fender CD160E-12
Guild Starfire IV
it could be because its a DS1. ive had two (both given to me for free) and both of them have been broken within 3 months and i take realll good care of my stuff. there just crap. thats my opinion though.
Yes, the screw could also be too far in. In some cases, the rubber rips, which happened to my MD-2.

Have you adjusted the screws at all yet?
Yea I took it out somewhat and it seems to be doing alittle bit better. But still sometimes it just randomly gives out.
-Roy

My Gear
Washburn Lyon (LCT24)
Silvertone Revolver Bass
Ibanez IJV50 Acoustic
Fender CD160E-12
Guild Starfire IV
If it isn't your battery (Are you sure? Try taking it out and pressing it against your tongue) and it isn't your cables, OR the screw, there could very well be something wrong with either the circuit (which is unlikely) or the soldering. Is the board connected correctly? Are there loose wires? If something isn't connected completely it can cause random breaks in volume.
it is a brand new battery, The cables aren't really that old... I emailed Boss about it
-Roy

My Gear
Washburn Lyon (LCT24)
Silvertone Revolver Bass
Ibanez IJV50 Acoustic
Fender CD160E-12
Guild Starfire IV
Infant mortality. Take it back, get another (hopefully good) one.

Ron
Isn't there something like a bypass time or something? You just gotta reduce it, if it's even there.

Return it and complain.
What is a bypass time?
-Roy

My Gear
Washburn Lyon (LCT24)
Silvertone Revolver Bass
Ibanez IJV50 Acoustic
Fender CD160E-12
Guild Starfire IV
I don't think the DS-1 has a bypass time, the switch should turn the pedal on automatically
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Yeah, most pedals don't have bypass timers, they should switch as soon as you push them...