Hello. i have a question, kind of self-explanatory from the title. Let's say im doing triplets on each string going up. (123 on E, 123 on A, 123 on D, etc.). Is it better to do true alt picking, (dud, udu, dud, etc) or should i do economy style (dud, dud, dud, etc)? I just wonder if there is any benefit to alt picking this, as i would normally to the "dud" (economy) method. haha sorry if this is too vague or too obvious. thanks
Learn to alt-pick now. You'll thank yourself later.
Quote by franz.d.
What to change the band name? No way!! We have a kick-ass logo of a washing machine eating guitars and everything!!

Quote by elvenkindje
Lol, when I'm bored I'm gonna try that with regular dice! If I'm famous I'll thank you for it
Alternate picking is good, but economy is just an improved verison. Honestly I learned alternate picking to start and then just instintively began to economy pick. For example, if I was doing 123 starting on the top string going down, I would go like (dud) (dud) (dud) etc. Practice this slow, trying to get that last downpick on the thrid note to just kind of push past the string and hit a down stroke on the string below. That just my opinion though. Hope this helps.
alternate picking everything will give you more control over your rhythm.

I suggest being able to do both.
Quote by hoobariffer87
Learn to alt-pick now. You'll thank yourself later.
why so?!?!
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
I don't think they understand what the question is... However, I would do it the "dud dud dud etc..." way for high speed triplets because it sounds better and feels easier.
Aside from this, I'm am an exclusive alternate picker.
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
Quote by hurlyz
why so?!?!

Because it's infinitely more efficient.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
No it is not. When bassists go down to lower strings, they rake their finger down (or up, for the people who like their stuff in relation to the floor). the same thing goes here. you don't sweep pick dud, you go ddd or uuu. Economy picking is more effiecient for this kind of lick, but if you can do it either way chances are you will have a better time doing it economy picking.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
I can play both but i prefer alt picking i havent come to an instace were i need to alt pick because i just cant do it Economy picking so im gonna keep doing it my way.

When it comes to things like this i think there is no worng way only the way your comfortable doing it and the way your not
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
If you don't bother to learn alternate picking you're just lazy, since economy picking is infinitely easier. It's like going to ski/snowboard, finding that skiing is easier and concluding that skiing is better. You have to have discipline to learn both and not crap out just because you don't have patience to learn it.
Yes i agree i learned both and can do both I just Prefer Economy picking but when the time arises for me to use alt picking i will till then ill stick to my lazy mans method
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
ok but when am I gonna need alternate picking if economy is easier, more comfortable, and faster...???
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance

Quote by hurlyz
ok but when am I gonna need alternate picking if economy is easier, more comfortable, and faster...???

because economy picking only applies when you move between strings
Quote by kyrreca
because economy picking only applies when you move between strings
oh kk... well actually when I practice this string skipping exercise, I don't even know if I'm using alternate or not... my picking hand is going on a "reflex motion" so I guess I'm probably alternate picking it??? I'll have to check lolll....

E||----------------------------------|--------------------------1-2-3-4-||
B||----------------------------------|----------1-2-3-4-----------------||
G||--------------------------1-2-3-4-|------------------1-2-3-4---------||
D||----------1-2-3-4-----------------|--1-2-3-4-------------------------||
A||------------------1-2-3-4---------|----------------------------------||
E||--1-2-3-4-------------------------|----------------------------------||

Quote by Resiliance

E||----------------------------------|--------------------------1-2-3-4-||
B||----------------------------------|----------1-2-3-4-----------------||
G||--------------------------1-2-3-4-|------------------1-2-3-4---------||
D||----------1-2-3-4-----------------|--1-2-3-4-------------------------||
A||------------------1-2-3-4---------|----------------------------------||
E||--1-2-3-4-------------------------|----------------------------------|| 
     u d u d d u d u u d u d d u d u    u d u d d u d u u d u d d u d u

I'm not an economy picking master, but I guess this is a way to do it.
Yeh learn alternate picking, it's just the way you should play. It's easier in the end, and gives you so much more CONTROL!
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by AznElliot518
Alternate picking has more rhythm, so Id stick with that.

How the hell do you establish that?

And with a 123 lick, for instance, why the HELL would you alt pick it if you can economy pick it? Try it.

e|------------------------------------------5-6-5-|
B|----------------------------------5-6-5---------|
G|--------------------------5-6-5-----------------|
D|------------------5-6-5-------------------------|
A|----------5-6-5---------------------------------|
E|--5-6-5-----------------------------------------|

Maybe I'm crazier, but economy is MUCH easier. Allows for faster playing, and I don't see how you lose control doing it either. The OP asked for a similar lick, replace 5-6-5 with 1-2-3 and you'll get the lick the OP asked for, unless I'm completely mistaken.
Thanks for all the help. But i must agree with the above. i can't really see the practicality of going dud udu dud etc for licks such as 565 565 565. for a 1234 1234 1234 i can see going dudu dudu dudu, but yea with odd notes and changing a string i cant imagine not using economy picking. but again, any feedback is appreciated
alternate picking gives you more control; and with practice it is possible to play anything you could with economy picking as alternate. Even arpeggios, although it won't sound like a "sweep" because you'll actually have control over the articulation, dynamics and timing of the notes.
I would play that lick economy style to get the triplets more smooth at high tempos. But if you can't alternate you should learn that to PERFECTION first! Alternate picking is everything if you wanna play fast.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by fredthecat
Do whatever feels comfortable.
that's what I do too...

Quote by Resiliance