I finally decided on a neck replacement pickup, the DiMarzio PAF. Also, decided that since I was switching the neck pickup, it would be best to go ahead and get a new bridge pickup as well. I read that Ace Frehley used a PAF in the neck and a Super Distortion in the bridge. Do any of you use the Super Distortion? Would you recommend it?
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
A friend of mine used the Super Distortion pickups, and they were the hottest pickups I've ever seen. When he wasn't playing, all they did was feedback. I think the pickups were too much for the amp, personally. I did like their tone, and I would recommend them.
Member #60 of the Alter Bridge Fan club - PM Logz to join!

The Altar Boy of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartBreaker to join.

You never had a mind of your own, never could resist a single pleasure.
can't say i do... but i seriously thought that Ace said he uses Super Distortions on the bridge and neck, it was noted somewhere on a guitarworld magazine and on kisstabs.com under the equipment bio. i'm just curious how you got this info.
My Gear:
epiphone les paul cusom, Limited edition. evo dimarzio pick ups
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
Quote by Hart_Attack
can't say i do... but i seriously thought that Ace said he uses Super Distortions on the bridge and neck, it was noted somewhere on a guitarworld magazine and on kisstabs.com under the equipment bio. i'm just curious how you got this info.

Was going by the info on the DiMarzio site.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
gotcha
My Gear:
epiphone les paul cusom, Limited edition. evo dimarzio pick ups
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
well its a very mid based pickup, so i'd imagine it'd work great with your mesa. but what kind of sound are you going for? i have one in my GAX75, and i love it.
Ovation Celebrity
MIJ STRAT
Ibanez Prestige S1220WNF
modded Ibanez GAX75
Fender tuner-DIGITECH EX-7-BOSS SD1-Ibanez CF7-Tech 21 TM 60
(LOOP)Boss DD20(Loop)
My soundclick page
It's a good pickup, but you have to remember what it was designed to do. The Super Distortion came about at a time when there weren't many high gain amps, and no uber-high gain amps. Players wanted something that would push their, often fairly clean, amps into distortion sooner. If you have a single channel tube amp with no distortion channel, or even a medium gain amp thethat's the ideal situation where you'd go for the Super Distortion.

If you have a modern, high gain amp then you don't need the pickups to push the amp to distortion, you've got the pre-amp section from hell to do that. You'd still want a hot pickup, as in hotter than vintage output, but the tonal characteristics are more important - the output is pretty moot as you've aready got all the power you'll need. I'd go for a Dimarzio Norton or Breed instead, or a Duncan Custom or Custom 5.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com