so

basically, the guitarist in my band, decided he wants to play more, as i lay dying type stuff
what with all the fast hammer onpull off type stuff, before we played thrash, like, old school metallica

and this change aggrivates me, because , im not really good at it, and I have no idea where to start
he basically wants us to play , fast, stuff

if any of you know what i mean, and have any ideas on how i can improve in playing/writing in that style
let me know

pissed off in California.
Kenneth.
You're saying you do old school metallica... That was pretty fast stuff... I don't see what the problem with hammer ons is?
AILD's playing isn't technical. If you could play Metalicca style before you should be ace at AILD type of stuff.
Although I guess the transition may be pretty strange. I suggest you learn how to tap; you should also be able to do mediocre sweep picking licks. AILD don't really use that (as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't listen to AILD) because their guitar work isn't anything technical. Your band member sounds like he is moving in a metalcore direction and a lot of metalcore bands do sweeps here and there. Usually for verses most metalcore bands use power chords over palm muted riffs; they have little breaks here and there that include harmonization between the two guitars; the solos can involve anything from fast alternate picking, to economy picking, to tapping. It all depends in the direction you guys want to go. If AILD's style is what you're looking for then I wouldn't really worry. Just make sure your drummer knows what he's doing.
as i lay dying, faster/harder to play than metallica? o.O
i don't listen to as i lay dying, but aren't they screamo or something? therefore you must keep your metallica element in your band!

i listen to all the cool european bands, children of bodom and viking metal and melodeath and such...but i'm gonna suggest listening to some Killswitch Engage, they're good american metal
well, AILD isnt that hard to play, especially if your doing rythm. theres some fancy tricks youll have to learn like sweeps and hammers and stuff but it isn't anything to complex. As far as metalcore goes i like Killswitch and Chimaira best. The later is pretty awsome.
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
as i lay dying, faster/harder to play than metallica? o.O
i don't listen to as i lay dying, but aren't they screamo or something? therefore you must keep your metallica element in your band!

i listen to all the cool european bands, children of bodom and viking metal and melodeath and such...but i'm gonna suggest listening to some Killswitch Engage, they're good american metal

No one cares what you listen to. Let him go in the direction he wants to go. Just because it's cool on UG to hate metalcore doesn't mean everyone has to be on the bandwagon. KsE isn't the best metalcore band really...at all.

For good quality metalcore try Between The Buried And Me, the Black Dahlia Murder, I Killed the Prom Queen, Horse the Band, All Shall Perish, Darkest Hour, etc.

Oh I forgot to add in my last post: your drummer should be able to do double bass patterns to get that good drumming sound (most/some) metalcore bands have,
Last edited by Embodiment at Feb 10, 2007,
Quote by Embodiment
No one cares what you listen to. Let him go in the direction he wants to go. Just because it's cool on UG to hate metalcore doesn't mean everyone has to be on the bandwagon. KsE isn't the best metalcore band really...at all.

For good quality metalcore try Between The Buried And Me, the Black Dahlia Murder, I Killed the Prom Queen, Horse the Band, All Shall Perish, Darkest Hour, etc.

Oh I forgot to add in my last post: your drummer should be able to do double bass patterns to get that good drumming sound (most/some) metalcore bands have,

our drummer is good

i just, im really lost, when jake ( other guitarist ) comes up to me, and does some, hammer on , pull off thing, with some palm mutes thrown in ,and says do it

but if he did some pantera type, chugging, chord thing
i could do it no problem

our band has good chemistry, but they drool over bands that play like AILD and Dahlia, and whatever

i just want to play metal, be it metallica esque, or job for a cowboy esque
I guess just let it all flow together and see what you can get. Just combine styles, blend your friend's metalcore with your trashy metal stuff and see what happens. As long as it doesn't sound like The Crusade you should be alright. If you're having problems with hammer ons and pull offs just practice it some more until you get it. Find some legato exercises and practice the hell out of them.
I saw the word tap and I'd just like to throw in real quick...I freaking LOVE tapping it sounds soooo cool if you get the amp settings JUST right.
Quote by garden of grey
As I Lay Dying isn't even metal lol

OMG HAHAH. I KNOW! WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO PLAY METALCORE?

Elitist jerk.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Why on earth would play something they don't want to do. Without the heart or interest in thrash, you can't do it surely.
Find some scale exercises on the net that incoorporate hammer ones/pull offs and other solo techniques and practice them to a metronome.

http://www.chopsfromhell.com/
Ug's Stupidest Member of the Year - 2005