I read the FAQ, i realise this might fall under point #1, but I am hoping for responses that can narrow down what pedals I go out to shops and try...

I currently use a digital FX unit... I have absolutely no complaints with it, use it for some pretty unique versatile sounds, and plan to keep it in my chain forever... HOWEVER... I realise that analogue is a much better sound than digital and I plan to get a couple of analogue pedals for the effects I rely on most often.

Delay is probably my first port of call... the problem is, I use my digital FX unit to create some pretty wide range of delay effects, so I was wondering which analogue delay pedals I should be looking at that can easily cover the following:

- Tap Tempo
- Ability to quickly switch between a 100% wet output (just the echo) and a 50/50 output (equal delay and original guitar tone)
- Looping with samples, layering over the top... removing some layers without removing all
- Ability to switch between looping and a normal delay effect

Part of me thinks that surely some of these are impossible without bending down and changing the settings mid song... which is impossible too... so I should just stick with digital?
Originally posted by guitarkid27
RobbieMac2002 gives good advice.
Out of curioisty, what digital delay unit do you use?
Ibanez RG1570
Fender Mexican Fat Strat

Engl Thunder 50 Reverb combo
Engl Classic Combo 350C
Line 6 Flextone III
Roland Microcube

Line 6 Podxt Live
Marshall Guv'nor
Yeah. What you have now sounds like a totally digital delay. It sounds like you want an individual box with a digital memory chip.

But you should go for the Electro-Harmonix Memory Man series, no question.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by Kris_man
Out of curioisty, what digital delay unit do you use?

I have a digitech RP200 with expression pedal... and have spent many hours getting all sorts of weird delay or looping effects out of what is in effect, a cheap half-assed all-in-one unit. I've gotten it to do enough stuff to make me interested in experimenting with delay more, but there are things I imagine that it obviously cannot do.

Thankyou that pink queen, It does seem that i'd need a seperate igital delay pedal, and ill look into the EH series as im a fan of EH anyway.

---------------------

ps: I realise that many people complain about digital, we recorded an EP recently with a fairly big producer who was constantly complaining at me that I was using digital, he hates to work with it. I kind of saw his point... but I put it dow to the cheapness of my single digital FX unit.

Would a seperate digital delay pedal be of analogue quality (or as close as) even if its digital because more time has been spent on emulating one effect?
good digital delay's are MUCH better than your Digitech RP200. Those are basically just bedroom toys. I prefer digital delay over analog. But it all depends on how much the delay is a part of your sound.
i agree with those who've posted already: there are things that analog delay does really well, but the features you mentioned simply aren't possible in analog delay units. sam, the difference in sound is that analog delay (and analog-voiced boxes like the ibanez de7) has a less pronounced echo. each repeat dimishes in the overall fidelity of sound creating a very hazy, beautiful wash of delay.

as far as delay units with the features you mentioned, the boss dd-20 is my favorite. it's digital, but has some really good analog simulations. the line 6 dl4 is good for some crazy, out-of-the-ordinary delays like sweep delay, auto volume swells, low resolution delays, etc. those are probably your best bets. if you have a little extra to spend, definitely look into the damage control timeline delay. you won't find as many options on them, but true analog delays are a great effect in their own right. if you want to get a cheap one to try out, get the Arion SAD-3. they're really good pedals for something like $20 or $30. the deluxe memory man is a good option, as are the maxon ad999, carl martin delayla, and the moog mf-104z, but they can run pretty pricey.
If I were you, I'd just keep what you've got. Sounds like you've got everything you need, but you'll just have to make a little compromise on sound quality.

Speaking of digital and analogue delay, I'm selling my DD6 to get an EHX Deluxe Memory Man, Ooooh yea.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
The line 6 echo park (or whatever the ****er is called) is a good pedal for delays.. It can do most things and the tape and analogue sounds aren't too bad... It's not the most robust pedal though.

If you've got more dough deffinately check out the EH 16 second delay and the MM.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
ive looked at the echo park... but im needing to use this pedal for live as well as studio...

if I need to chance the length or type of delay mid song, I dont think i can do that with the echo park while playing a guitar?
your best bet if you want analog delay for that would be a whole bunch of tape delay machines run through some really elaborate routing and switching system, have fun figuring out how to make that work.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
your best bet if you want analog delay for that would be a whole bunch of tape delay machines run through some really elaborate routing and switching system, have fun figuring out how to make that work.

it would probably be easier to just employ someone to mimic what i play just slightly later...
Quote by RobbieMac2002
ive looked at the echo park... but im needing to use this pedal for live as well as studio...

if I need to chance the length or type of delay mid song, I dont think i can do that with the echo park while playing a guitar?

it's got a tap tempo, so changing the length of delay won't be an issue. if you want to be able to change the type of delay too, get boss' dd-20 or the line 6 dl4. both have presets for different delay sounds. the dd-20 also has seemless transitioning between presets. if you try to switch presets with the dl4 while one delay is still trailing, it'll cut off sharply and go to the new delay. with the dd-20, the old delay will finish its repeats even after a new patch has been selected.
Quote by BloodBlooms
the dd-20 also has seemless transitioning between presets. if you try to switch presets with the dl4 while one delay is still trailing, it'll cut off sharply and go to the new delay. with the dd-20, the old delay will finish its repeats even after a new patch has been selected.

that sounds really important...

what about tempo changes between presets?

Ive heard that if you change presets on the DL4 it wont remember your previous tap tempo setting and will start a delay tempo fresh again... does the Boss keep the same tempo you've tapped even after you change to a different preset?
Multiple Tape delays? Robert Fripp's Frippertronics anyone?
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
have you tried a t-rex replica? it seemed pretty good when i tried it the other day, but it's expensive. EDIT: just to clarify, it's a digital delay that sounds more like an analogue one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 11, 2007,
Quote by RobbieMac2002
that sounds really important...

what about tempo changes between presets?

Ive heard that if you change presets on the DL4 it wont remember your previous tap tempo setting and will start a delay tempo fresh again... does the Boss keep the same tempo you've tapped even after you change to a different preset?

...if you mean, for example, you set a tap tempo on preset one, then go to preset two, will the tempo for for preset one still be there when you return to it? for both the dd-20 and the dl4, the only way a tempo will still be there is if you save it first.
sorry, this is arkward to explain...

What I mean is... If you have a delay going in the same tempo as the song... and you are using the delay on preset 1... then half way through the song you switch to preset 2, a different type of delay... will the pedal still remember the tap tempo you did and make preset 2's delay adhere to the tempo of the song you are currently playing... or will it just make preset 2's delay go in whatever time you've previously set preset 2 to go in?
gotcha. no. only if you've preset delay #2 to the time of the song. if that's what you're going for, then each delay has its benefit. the dl4's fourth button is a tap tempo, so it's easy to tap in the new delay time quickly. on the other hand, the dd-20 has a button for external tap tempo (usually through a boss fs-5u, but any non-latching momentary footswitch will work), so you have the option of more presets with the dd-20 (5 as opposed to the dl4's 3). make sense?