Hey everybody. I've been playing guitar for a year now, but not in the traditional sense. I mostly have been familiarizing myself with the neck but now I feel as if it's time to move onto actually learning how to play. I know how to play chords but I'm not exactly quite sure what scales are.

Exactly what are scales, why are they so important, and what do you use them for?

Any answers will be greatly apprecciated!
Scales are ways of organizing notes into a logical way and thusly making harmonic sense,,, most music is organized in different keys,,,and each key has a corresponding scale,,,,there are also different modes with-in each scale that are attained simply by starting on a note other than the root of the scale and playing the same notes of the scale,,,, a good thing to do would to learn the basic major scale as well as natural minor and harmonic minor too,,,,once you know major you can also easily learn the separate modes too,,
scales are a bunch of notes that work well together... its hard to describe what they are, but they are easy to learn and when you see it you will understand...

scales are important for solo's and riffs. if you just play random notes, a solo will not sound good, but if you play notes within a scale the solo will work....

sorry, i did a really bad job of describing that... do you get it? coz i can try and do it better if you dont
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
Thank you to both rokket2005 and instagata0. Both of your explanations have cleared it up for me. As for ZeM00finMan, I can relate to ya dude!

I have a follow up question and I hope this isn't too hard to explain. How do you read scales? Do you just play the strings on the frets shown on the diagrams? How do I know which order to play them?
it doesnt matter which order you play the notes in, as long as you finish on the root note it will always sound good =)
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
Thanks! I'll remember you for helping me! I've been tying to figure this out for ages.