I got a marshall dsl401 about a month ago and i thought it was good but since then ive been disliking it more and more. It just lacks depth and bottom end and is to crunchy for my tastes. It also sounds extremely tinny when it combindes with my pod xt live.

So the guy at the shop where i bought it said i can exchange it for store credit and i was wondering what amp i should get for around the same price range. My guitar teacher suggested a fender hot rod deluxe.

I need an amp with a really warm tone, a lot of balls and decent mid-bottom end. Distortions shouldnt be to much of a problem because ill be using my pod for that.

So does anyone have any suggestions? Im really into muse and like lots of rock/alternative/punk/a bit of metal.

Thanks a lot.
Member of the Muse > any other band club
Have you cranked it yet? it will sound a LOT better loud

oh, and are you running your pod through it for distortion? could be why it sounds a tad tinny
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Oh yeh ive cranked it. My style of music has changed a lot since i bought that amp and it just isnt heavy enough anymore.
personally i cant see how you'd need more gain, but thats just mebeing biased

You said in your first post you were mainly after more balls, but do you want more gain too?
Im not to fussy about the amp distortion because ill mainly be using my pod for that. Or is that a bad idea?
with the kind of amps you'll be looking at, i'd say your going to be able to get a much better distortion out of the amp than the pod.

For similar sized/priced valve combos with more gain, have a look at the ashdown fallen angel combo, it might be a bit more your style.
Yeah they're not a very high gain amp, I remember when I first played one. Your teacher is a noob for suggesting a hot rod deluxe.

I see you like Muse - is that why you got the DSL? Bellamy plays a DSL, but with a fuzz face built into his guitar. I recommend what I have, an Engl Thunder - way more gain than a DSL. nice humbucker cleans too. Might not have the bottom end you're after tho, more of a bright amp.
Ibanez RG1570
Fender Mexican Fat Strat

Engl Thunder 50 Reverb combo
Engl Classic Combo 350C
Line 6 Flextone III
Roland Microcube

Line 6 Podxt Live
Marshall Guv'nor
Why use a nice tube amp like that and use a POD for your distortion? If you want to use your POD then you should get a power amp of some kind, IMO. I wouldnt expect much 'balls' from a 1x12 either. The amps on board distortion should be perfect for what you play though. Maybe an EQ pedal?
Quote by Kris_man
Yeah they're not a very high gain amp, I remember when I first played one. Your teacher is a noob for suggesting a hot rod deluxe.

I see you like Muse - is that why you got the DSL? Bellamy plays a DSL, but with a fuzz face built into his guitar. I recommend what I have, an Engl Thunder - way more gain than a DSL. nice humbucker cleans too. Might not have the bottom end you're after tho, more of a bright amp.

Unfortunately, a thunder is also nearly double the price of a DSL401, and he's using store credits here. (unless, TS, you're willing to spend more?)

However, a fuzz pedal may be a good idea if he's after a bellamy sound
Oh yeah fair enough. Hi gain amps cost more moolah. I want to try this Fallen ANgel tho, just for the heck of it, seems to be the buzz word around here at the moment.
Ibanez RG1570
Fender Mexican Fat Strat

Engl Thunder 50 Reverb combo
Engl Classic Combo 350C
Line 6 Flextone III
Roland Microcube

Line 6 Podxt Live
Marshall Guv'nor
Quote by Kris_man
Oh yeah fair enough. Hi gain amps cost more moolah. I want to try this Fallen ANgel tho, just for the heck of it, seems to be the buzz word around here at the moment.

Yeah, it isn't too bad at all. You can get quite a good tone out of it, and its one of the few affordable high gain tube amps that actually sound good, lol

There was a thread by a guy called Steven_Seagull who has one, and he did some soundclips of it if you want to hear it

EDIT: Moolah
Quote by Kris_man

I think my teacher thought that a hot rod deluxe would be good because its got a good bottom and theres an input where u can bypass the preamp or something. And hes not worried about the distortions because he says just to use the ones on the pod. But he is very pro-line 6 so yeh i dont know whether i can trust him lol.
Quote by Spaz10
I think my teacher thought that a hot rod deluxe would be good because its got a good bottom and theres an input where u can bypass the preamp or something. And hes not worried about the distortions because he says just to use the ones on the pod. But he is very pro-line 6 so yeh i dont know whether i can trust him lol.

Your teacher seems like a bit of an R-tard
Im not to fussy about the amp distortion because ill mainly be using my pod for that. Or is that a bad idea?

That is a bad idea - just get yourself an OD pedal or something like a Metal Muff and use that in conjunction with the amps distortion.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If your using your POD for most of your sounds, try putting your POD into the return of the FX loop and use the head as a power amp, it'll sound awesome. you'll only have control of the volume and the mids on the amp if my memory serves me right but you'll have to MAX the amps mids because of how its voiced in the power section. It'll sound LOADS better than putting it into the front end.
If your lookin to trade the amp then just buy a power amp if you use the POD all the time.
Matt Bellamy actually uses Diezel amps, which are very high gain. Plus, yes, the fuzz factory.

I would think using solid state distortion models through a valve amp would sound shite, so I expect that's the problem.
- Dan

Epi. Les Paul /w Duncan Pups
Marshall 30MGDFX
Digitech Hot Head Distortion
Whammy Pedal :P
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by WhammyPedal
Matt Bellamy actually uses Diezel amps, which are very high gain. Plus, yes, the fuzz factory.

I would think using solid state distortion models through a valve amp would sound shite, so I expect that's the problem.

Not at all in my experience, using a half decent distortion pedal or modeling preamp like the POD through a quality valve amp should sound really good IMO (depending on the pedal and how its set up with the amp) I used to have an old 70's pre-master volume Marshall and with a Boss Metalzone if the front, it sounded amazing
Yeah, a great amp will probably make pedals sound better, but I personally would probably still want to use the amps distortion (depending on the amp )
Your using a POD. Get something else for distortion. Actually, using the amp distortion would be nice.
Sent from my iPad.