I came across someone selling a Mark II in my neighbourhood, but unfortunaly I don't know anything about them.

I've searched a bit and apperantly there are 3 Mark II versions, A, B and IIC+, the last one being the best.

This is the amp he's selling:

http://www.kapaza.be/Muziek_en_instrumenten/Gitaar_en_basversterkers/4105058/MESA_BOOGIE_Mark_2.html

Can anyone see which version it is?

And if it's the A or B, are they really bad compared to the IIC+ (and the Mark IV?). I want to get a nice heavily distorted tone (bad horsie-like), as well as a good tone for death metal, early metallica, as well as 'good/useable' cleans, shred/neoclassical sounds, classic rock, etc.

I've read that the mark IV is great for all of that, but what about this Mark II?

Ow, the information on the right says:

Guitar amplifier in good condition. First owner, Handbuild tube amp with 60/100W class sound. Builded in 1981-1982. Massive wooden box and electrovoice speaker. Full check up: 3 new pre-amp tubes, potmeters, tubesockets and jacks have been replaced, bias has been fine-tuned.
Not only would it disrupt the fabric of time and space, but it would totally ruin the surprise!
Last edited by Kailoq at Feb 10, 2007,
I can't really see which version it is, but can't you ask it to seller, also play on it, I also bought my amp on kapaza ( a Mark IV) and you should be shure that you like its sound, but most of the Marks are still very versatile and good amps.
Greetz Wouter
PS where do you exactly live in Belgium?
Im personally not a fan of the Mark II theyre very fizzy and theres popping between channel switching. But the Mark IIC+ was the final one and it was amazing did away with all the problems of the earlier models. Look above the power chord on the back if there is a + then it is a C+. But it being made in 81-82 its probably an A as i dont think the C+ came out till 1984 or 85
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
A lot of people would send the MkIIa or b back to Mesa to have the IIc+ mod done. It removes noise from the circuit and changes the EQ a bit.

The MkII is an acquired taste, better for classic rock, blues, jazz, pop rock than hard rock or metal, picture Santana. Not a bad amp at all, just a little different flavor than the III or IV.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
^ I know for sure I've played a Mark IIB. If it has silver tops on the knobs it's a Mark IIB. I don't remember whether it had a graphic EQ, but I think it did which leads me to believe that that's a Mark IIA. But I'm not sure, ask the seller if it has silver tops on the knobs (it might just be glare in the picture.) You don't have a Mark IIC.

Check out this link, it has info on the differances.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ayan/history.htm

http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/welcome.html

As for the sound of a Mark IIB, I didn't have much time to spend with it, so maybe i just didn't know how to work it. I expected it to be high gain, since I knew nothing about the Mark II's but even with the gains maxed on lead and the amp cranked it had a very blues rock sound. The heaviest I could get was zeppelin. The cleans were round and warm, and the overdrive was bluesy with nice breakup. It sounded great, I loved it for that old school kinda stuff.

But if you wanna play Vai, Metallica, or other metal type stuff it won't do it.

EDIT: Actuallly, I don't know if the Mark IIB's have graphic EQ's, I think they don't, so that oculd be a B. Just ask if it has silver caps. Also, you could try asking for the serial number and sending it in to MESA.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Last edited by TGM at Feb 10, 2007,
Allright, thanks for the help everyone!

I contacted him and he told me it was a B, and according to what I've read here it isn't the amplifier for me. Guess I'll have to continue my search.
Not only would it disrupt the fabric of time and space, but it would totally ruin the surprise!