Page 1 of 2
what is the best distortion/overdrive (i think he uses overdrive) that will emulate his sounds the best?
possibly a BOSS DS-2. or just find out what distortion he uses.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
he uses his marshall amp distortion as far as i know but i have a marshall amp and a les paul and used his recommend settings and it dosent has that uniqe tone that u can hear on his power chords
you could buy a JCM800 (very close to his jubilee, or whatever he uses), a footswitch, and his settings.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
surprisingly, the big muff works pretty well
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
I hear the JCM900 SLX is pretty similar to Slash's Jubillees but for pedals a Boss DS2 can do most things
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
i think the ds2 is too grunghy (?), and the big muff has nothing to do with slash's sound, its way to fuzzy
Slash used his amps distortion. The pickups he uses (Duncan Alnico Pro II's) are actually really low output so be basically has to rely on turning everything up really loud to get the sound. I read in an interview everything was turned to 'around 5' on his amp, so try that?

In terms of pedals, I'd therefore suggest one of the Marshall distortion ones. Or failing that the Slash signiture crybaby has a built in distortion that should be close. That's like 180 pounds over here thow, so its a bit of an investment.

EDIT: and his power chords sound different because he tends to play them in an open position. That might sound like a contradiction in terms but just check out the tab books. I'm not too brilliant at theory so maybe I said that wrong, but have a look.
- Dan

Epi. Les Paul /w Duncan Pups
Marshall 30MGDFX
Digitech Hot Head Distortion
Whammy Pedal :P
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Last edited by WhammyPedal at Feb 10, 2007,
electro harmonix english muff'n pedal
Epiphone LP Classic, LP Tribute+
Fender MIM Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall Class 5 Head, 1960a Cabinet
Carvin G412T
Fulltone OCD
Boss DS-1, SD-1 & DM-2
EHX Metal Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Fab Chorus
Digitech Whammy
Quote by guynaa
i think the ds2 is too grunghy (?), and the big muff has nothing to do with slash's sound, its way to fuzzy

Do you own one?

I do, it works great, you just need to mess with the settings.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by alexh0618
electro harmonix english muff'n pedal

Ive heard that pedal and I think turned up itd sound pretty good.
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
^^ he means open position by playing a chord like c - 01023x instead of a c power chord - xx553x
Quote by Seryaph
You need to douse it in a 20/30/50 ratio of mustard/ketchup/horseradish and stroke it as fast as you can untill the mayonaise squirts out. Then consume.
thats not what i mean, when he does open like welcome to the jungle and when he does power chords (that the rhythm but its the same tone)at november rain it has that uniqe roar that i can find in no piece of equipment ive heard
if you have high out put humbuckers that can make it harder. And DONT get the wah for the distortion, it sucks. Im looking for the same thign and the best i can find is the Marshall Jackhammer pedal. Its passive bypass so it kinda helps if you have hott humbuckers, and i have had pretty good sucess with it. Plus its only 70 bucks and its built like a rock
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Joe Perry Boneyard (BKP Black Dogs)
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
You cannot emulate an amp with a pedal

Slash doesn't use a distortion, overdrive or whatever pedal, at all. Also most of his tone comes from his fingers. Try playing through his rig and improvising over November Rain and see how much you can sound like Slash.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
o ya. i ment to add that. The only pedals in slash's set up are a delay, and a mxr 10 band eq. he gets his distort from 3 slash sig heads. But the jackhammer does pretty well for a pedal.
Gear:
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
I think they're talking about tone.

Tone wise, get a jcm 800.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
since i cant get a new amp, i clearly asked for a pedal that will emulateas close as possible that sound, and this topic is about tone, not his style (btw i can improvise pretty well at the last solos of november rain...)
^ what marshall do you have. I'm guessing you don't have a tube marshall.

also, I'd say for pedals maybe an HBE big D or power screamer.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Unless you have a JCM800 or something close to the Marshall Jubilee, you have no chance, really. As for distortion pedals to help, I can only really think of the Muff or a DS-2 or something alike. I have a DS-1, and it is not good enough to emulate his sound, so I'm not too sure if the DS-2 could either, seeing as they're both similar pedals.
lol, you guys are ignoring what he said. But i have to say, pedals won't get you there.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
I own the guvnor and the jackhammer. The guvnor is good. But the jackhammer has a specific switch for JCM 800.
Gear:
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
Eh, you can always get a pod xt.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
i actually thought about the govnor, i don't want to buy the jackhammer because its to similar to my boss mt-2 and i don't have a lot of money to spend.
i have a marshall MG15DFX.
btw just for curiosity what is the best amp to emulate his sound up to 50w (not gonna buy, just wanted to know)
Last edited by guynaa at Feb 12, 2007,
JCM 800 or a 50w Jubilee. I think they even made a 50w version of his signiture. but im not 100% sure about htat.
Gear:
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
Quote by VRGNR08
JCM 800 or a 50w Jubilee. I think they even made a 50w version of his signiture. but im not 100% sure about htat.

i couldn't find either his signature nor the 50w version in the official site, can u give me a link?
ooh i havent found the jcm either! i only found "jvm" can anyone explain to me if thats a newer (better?)version of the jcm or what
My advice would be to buy a Vox Valvetronix amp, that way you can play around with the effects and amp models before progressing onto something like a JCM
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
valvetronix isnt heavy enough for Slash tone. And since the Jubilee and Slash sig have been discontinued, so then arent on the official site. Go to mikesguitarsite.com and it will give you some info about Slash's exact set up.
Gear:
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
Quote by VRGNR08
valvetronix isnt heavy enough for Slash tone. And since the Jubilee and Slash sig have been discontinued, so then arent on the official site. Go to mikesguitarsite.com and it will give you some info about Slash's exact set up.

I think you'll find it is. Slash's tone isnt exactly SEERING METAALLL DISTORTZORZ!11!!

The Brit stack setting would do just fine.

Plus, I think the thread starter would benefit from a modelling amp before moving onto something like a Jubilee or JCM
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
well i do play alot of metal 2 so i would rather the higher end of the heaviness..., ido agree with the modeling amp
woow! i just cheacked and the only the head of slash's amo is 2000$ wtf!
i was going about maximum of 450$ for everything
yeah. If you look really long and are patient, you could prolly find a 25w practice version of the Jubilee series for around $500. And i have played the valvetronix, and i didnt think it was thick or heavy enough for Velvet revolver tone, but it may be able to pull off some of the AFD stuff, but some UYI may be to heavy too.
Gear:
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
ok

what i do to get a nice tone

i have a marshall mg250 ( cant afford a marshall tube yet)
my Les Paul, with humbuckers (quite high output which is quite hard)
Bass:6
Middle:6
contour:6
Treble :8

I have the gain on 6 and then use the knob on my guitar to lower it a bit

I also find using a dunlop wah adds a bit of edge to the sound.

im hopefully getting

some alnico II 's soon and a marshall guvnor

will update wen i do

=]
look it up anywhere. slash used a marshall jcm800 head, with the amps distortion. as far as a pedal, id go with a boss od-20. it has 22 ds/od sounds, im sure it has something similiar to slashs sound. but ud still need a good amp. marshall combos go for 300 and up on ebay, stacks, probably double the price. and sweet child o' mine uses a vintage tube overdrive straight from the amp.
fulltone OCD or an MI Audio Crunchbox
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Page 1 of 2