Duno if this is the right place for this question but......I have some ols hi-fi speakers which work great and i was wondering whether it would be ok to use them for to put vocals through or if they'd break or blow up or whatever. I've heard this is not a good idea for guitars but vocals are ok right?? Thanks
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
well it really depends what you are using to push the speakers with ( amp, pa system, receiver )Also how many watts the speakers can handle and the ohms of the speakers. give a little more information and maybe we can help u out.
Just a standard hi-fi amplifier-Microphone to Mixer to Hi-fi amplifier to speakers. I'm not sure how many watts the speakers can handle-do vocals need more watts than standard cdplayers etc.? The hi-fi amplifier and speakers work fine when a CD player is put through them.
PEDALZ
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
then it should be fine i don't see any reason why the vocals would hrut the speakers seeing they produce the same frequencies as the guitar is
but doesnt guitar harm h-fi speakers?
PEDALZ
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
i dont think they really harm them just guitar speakers are ment to add a lot of depth to the sound and hi-fi speakers just want the actual sound coming out of them the be the original. Guitar speakers are about what sounds good to you, but hi-fi is mostly about clarity.
lolol! you guys must be kiddin me... have you ever heard about impedance, frequency ranges or balanced signals, for instance?
I don't have a vast knowledge of them no, hence why i'm asking here. Seen as you seem to know can you explain please......
PEDALZ
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
what do you mean by hi-fi amp..a receiver or just a stand alone amp or what? its all about impedence mathcing and not overpowering the spekers. if your positive the amp is right for the speakers than what you put through it doesnt make a whole lot of difference.
It is-its been used with the speakers for the past 10 years without any problems. Thanks.
PEDALZ
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
guitar=lo-fi

Vocals=Not lo-fi

Hi-Fi speakers are for vocals, because you shouldn't distort your vocals. vocal effects, like flange, should go lo-fi I think.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by woodenbandman
guitar=lo-fi

Vocals=Not lo-fi

Hi-Fi speakers are for vocals, because you shouldn't distort your vocals. vocal effects, like flange, should go lo-fi I think.

the difference in the two (guitar and say a p.a. amp) is the guitar amp is made to add character and the pa or radio receiver is meant to reproducce sound accuratley.
SPeakers like youre talking about arent meant for stuff like that. It wont hurt them or anything (not at reasonable volume anyways). But theyre more meant for movies and music stuff.
im confused, i'm getting a lot of conflicting info here!
PEDALZ
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
it wil be fine. as logn as impedences math(if the speakers came with the amp or w.e.) and the amp isnt overpowering speakers it is percectly fine
Quote by super666fender
it wil be fine. as logn as impedences math(if the speakers came with the amp or w.e.) and the amp isnt overpowering speakers it is percectly fine

this guy has it right. forget about the other chumps sayin anything else.
vocals/guitar/bass wont hurt the speakers with the right amp. you can pump pink noise through them all day and as long as you got the right amp theyll be fine.
ok thanks guys
PEDALZ
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100