just a thought, i'm not liking the speakers in my crate cab and was thinking i could switch them out myself.

i was looking at some on musician's friend and while 1 doesn't seem to cost that much, replacing 4 surely adds up.

any suggestions for speakers that don't bottom out easily and suitable for rock, indie, and a bit of prog?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Mesa are really nice. You should be able to get them for about $60/speaker. Ampegs are also very popular for the style of music you listed, but I don't know how much they are.
oh nice, i didn't even think about them. any idea who sells them?
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

My 2 favorite speakers of all time are Vintage 30's or Greenbacks. The best way too go.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Best for the money are probably Eminence, they sell for about $60-80 each. I don't know about Mesa speakers, those might be good too. Look around on MF and see what each speaker is recommended for to decide what you might want. What a lot of people like to do is mix and match speakers in an X pattern, which you might be interested in doing.
Quote by SublimeGuitar
My 2 favorite speakers of all time are Vintage 30's or Greenbacks. The best way too go.

yeah they look nice, but 4 of them... eh.

ahah nevermind i'll wait a while til i save up enough.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by De Amazing Blob
Best for the money are probably Eminence, they sell for about $60-80 each. I don't know about Mesa speakers, those might be good too. Look around on MF and see what each speaker is recommended for to decide what you might want. What a lot of people like to do is mix and match speakers in an X pattern, which you might be interested in doing.

oh really you can mix and match? i like that idea.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

the eminence are really nice. i stuck a patriot in my amp and it really came alive. check out the blue tick hound or the texas heat.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by UnsignedRecords
oh really you can mix and match? i like that idea.
Yeah, I haven't done it myself, but I've heard a lot of people do and like it; they usually pick speakers that balance out the other ones.
I don't mean to take over this thread but you are asking a similar question to mine.I need to get new speakers for my blue voodoo 6212 combo.What would be good?Can I just put any speakers in it?
Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Custom(Alpine White)
-Alvarez RD20S(Natural)
-Ibanez AE20E (Blue)
-Peavey Valveking half stack
-Crate Blue Voodoo 6212
-Boss ME-50
-BC Rich Warlock Exotic w EMG 81

Ashton's Magnum Myspace
As long as you put 12 inch speakers in, any brand name will do. Just make sure you wire everything correctly to get the desired impedence.
^ yeah that's true wiring speakers isn't that hard, i think. and knowing the impendence is 8ohms is easy haha.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

You can get some really good sounds if you have different speakers in one cab. Like a V30 and C90. Get a huge bass response, but also creamy distortion.

Here's where you can buy direct:
Mesa Custom Speakers
My Rig:
PRS SE custom
cube 60
Dual Rectifier Roadster (2X12 combo)
DR strings
EHX Multiplexer
sounds good. i figure those for better bass response would be the bottom two then eh?
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

If you like the V30 tone check out the Hellatone 60 from avatarspeakers.com. Great speakers.

Another cheap option are a set of used Jaguar speakers from a Randall cab. Awesome speakers for the money.

One thing to keep in mind is what ohm you current speakers are and how they're wired. You should try to match the impedance and wire the new speakers the same way or your cab and head impedance will be mismatched, causing a variety of different issues.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Aren't Hellatones just broken in V30s? They're the exact same wattage; I would just get a V30. *Checks Avatar*. Wait; how much are V30s? Are the Hellatones cheaper?...
Yup, new V30s run $110 each while Hellatones are $75 each.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.