I need some help with chord progressions when using modes. I have a lead in A Lydian, and am writing up a rhythm for it. Would I use E Major chord progressions, or would I make A the I chord and raise the 4th to make the progression?

Thanks.
Make A the I chord and raise the 4th to make the progression.

You will use chords in the E major scale, obviously, but the progression should "resolve" to A major.

A common way of making modal progressions is to use the I chord, A, and then chords that use the modal tone, D#. In A Lydian, the chords that contain D# and D#dim, G# minor, and B major. You don't want to use D# diminished because that wants to go to E major and not A, so some kind of progression using A, B, and G# minor should work well.

Yes, those two chords will always be relative majors/minors of each other, at least with the 7 regular modes. I've never tried to do this with modes of other scales, though I would imagine it working the same.

Also, your lead probably outlines some kind of progression. If something is fairly obvous, use that. You might surprise yourself and find out that A Lydian isn't even the strongest resolution.

Edit: Whooo, 5000th post!
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Feb 11, 2007,
Well, lets break it down.

A B C# D# E F# G#

To build a chord, simply leap frog (jump over, example: A C# E, etc...), if you were to do that for every chord, you would have your chords. Its pretty much like E major chords but like what BGC said, make sure it resolves to A major.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??