Im a highschooler and Im going to university next year... and I thought "hell, why don't I study muisc in university and become a pro bassist? its my favorite thing anyways, and even if I don't make much money I'll be happy.."

so...

Who here is going to study music at university?

Who here is trying to be a musician, and make that your day job?
No i'm studying for Micro-electronic Engineering. I was going to play safe because you never know if you're gonna break through in the music industry or not.

Especially with this Emo-Scene shit going on.
I aim to try and have my career as music in some form or another, even if I just end up teaching it or something
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
No i'm studying for Micro-electronic Engineering. I was going to play safe because you never know if you're gonna break through in the music industry or not.

Same, except I'm going to be a school teacher, not an engineer.
Yeah, I'm studying music. Probably Music Composition and Theory if I can find a decent college that offers it. But I figure a music degree will at the very least allow me to give private lessons for a decent amount of cash, and it's what I love, so why the hell not.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
I'm doing biomedical sciences at uni at the moment, but I'm pouring more effort into my bass playing than my studies... it would be awesome to make a living off my favourite aspect of my life, but it is unrealistic for me at the moment... however, I'm still learning, and still pushing myself, so maybe one day... who knows?
Yeah i'm definatly planning on making music my career, i passed grade 6 electric when i was 13 so i can't really see myself doing anything else with my life.
POST FINDER
hell yeah dude, i want to be a musician for a living, for me its pretty much make it or im just poor, thats all i really want to do, if im not a pro musician then i want to atleast work for some guitar company, dean or ibanez
Ibanez RG321
Ibanez RG220
Member of UG's HATECREW
no, i couldnt handle the rock star life, i dont have enough self control, id prolly die by the age of 40. Its gonna stay a hobby for sure though, prolly record an album with my band but not to make it into the music business, just for the hell of it.
Warrior Generation X Double Cutaway - EMG 85's
Schecter C1 Classic - ZW EMG's
Fender Strat - DG20 EMG's
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric
Metal Zone
Roland Cube 60
BIG STUBBIES!
etc.
Quote by i(ncubus)play
is a pro bassist not a pro musician?

not really if they dont know any theory
for me, I'm doin something in Engineering(Nuclear or Chemical) and then I am gonna go for a minor somewhere in the music department maybe. I'm not quite sure. But its gonna be one of those things that I just try to become a studio bassist in my spare time and whenever i'm not called in, I at least have a job.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
Yeah I have plans for University Jazz Studies but this class I'm taking right now that was ironically a university prep course(highschool) has killed anything that resembled musical aspiration or joy in playing. Since taking this course I never play my instruments(bass or otherwise) or very rarely. So we'll see.
I was a Poli Sci /history major with music / theater minor. I work in computers now, so go figure.

My only regret is that I never thought playing pro was a viable option and bent to conventional wisdom and the pressure of my family to seek a more "stable" career. IMHO, if you want to try to make it as a pro, go for it and seek support where you can. But a viable plan B is important.
i like my odds of having something to do with music in my spare time, but there's just no way im going to break huge.

bass is a hobby, not a lifestyle for me.

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Quote by DiabloCoche
i like my odds of having something to do with music in my spare time, but there's just no way im going to break huge.

bass is a hobby, not a lifestyle for me.

x2, i have plans of going to uni and studying medicine, bass will stay as a past-time and i will still play in bands just not for a living
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Unfortunately i wasnt into instruments when i was younger, and studied English at Uni, then got into computers. I now have an excellent job at the BBC. IT was my first choice career before i found music, so i am happy. I think as i get older i will look to teach, but just for a hobby and the enjoyment of teaching people something i love. That said, if my band got signed i would quit my job in a second. But who wouldnt?

I am 27, so i am passed the cursed age of the dying rockstar luckily. But i have limited self control when it comes to drugs and alcohol, so i quite like having an office job that keeps me in check. If i had millions in the bank and nothing to get up for on a monday morning i wonder what state i would be in!!

But anyone who wants it, then i wish you all the luck in the world. You will need to work your bollocks off, but it's entirely possible.
I plan on it. I've got two bands that I'm the primary writer/conceptualist in, and we're really doing well. When I graduate high school this May I plan on working this summer and working with my bands, and when I go to college in the fall I plan on just enrolling in a smaller local college to get my prerequisites out of the way. That way I can still live at home, saving an assload of money and having much more time to work with my bands. If the bands fall through (god forbid), the next year I'd go off to Western Michigan University. If we're inches from making it, colllege can wait another semester while we shoot for it.

As for college itself I plan on going for music and english, but I haven't quite worked out the specifics yet.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
I'm currently waiting to hear back from Berklee College of Music, on whether or not I got accepted. But if you plan on going into music, you need to consider a lot of things.

1. Not everyone is a rockstar/once you get into a music major you may realize that performing isn't the thing for you.
2. There are other jobs for musicians than performing. A lot of them pay much, much more.
3. The more instruments you can play the better, but make sure you can play piano, and atleast sing pitches in tune.
4. If you can sing it right, you can play it right. Is the motto of most music school, be prepared to learn that.
5. Higher Enducation music isn't all fun and games. It's a hard way to make a living, and you WILL be paying college bills for the rest of your life. Get over it.
6. Not everyone gets famous, not everyone wants too. Even if you want to it's damn hard, especially in rock/rap/mainstream music. Do not go in expecting it.
7. A lot of people that try to pursue careers in music "burn out" and never touch an instrument again.

And the most important thing of all:

8. Music is supposed to be fun, if it's not fun, then you're in the wrong place. So don't forget to have fun.

Oh yeah, goodluck.
Actually, today I got a letter from a local college, saying my application had been accepted and expect to get some interview dates shortly for a music course. w00
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by elemenohpee
I'm currently waiting to hear back from Berklee College of Music, on whether or not I got accepted. But if you plan on going into music, you need to consider a lot of things.

1. Not everyone is a rockstar/once you get into a music major you may realize that performing isn't the thing for you.
2. There are other jobs for musicians than performing. A lot of them pay much, much more.
3. The more instruments you can play the better, but make sure you can play piano, and atleast sing pitches in tune.
4. If you can sing it right, you can play it right. Is the motto of most music school, be prepared to learn that.
5. Higher Enducation music isn't all fun and games. It's a hard way to make a living, and you WILL be paying college bills for the rest of your life. Get over it.
6. Not everyone gets famous, not everyone wants too. Even if you want to it's damn hard, especially in rock/rap/mainstream music. Do not go in expecting it.
7. A lot of people that try to pursue careers in music "burn out" and never touch an instrument again.

And the most important thing of all:

8. Music is supposed to be fun, if it's not fun, then you're in the wrong place. So don't forget to have fun.

Oh yeah, goodluck.

All very true, especially number two. And forgetting the 8th little rule there is a big reason for the 7th. How was the audition for Berklee? They contacted me not to long ago with information and stuff, but I didn't want to pay a grand or so just for audition costs (Including air-fare and hotel fees) and then possibly move so far from home, but I know it's a great school. What did you play for the audition peices?
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Berklee has audition locations all over the US. Chances are there is one within driving distance for you.

I played Bach's Cello Suite #1 Preadium.

Berklee is a risky school, #1 it's expensive, #2 I've heard that you can come out playing the same exact way you went in. Because it's directly in the center of Boston, it doesn't have the "ideal" college campus, you find yourself doing a lot of walking down busy, busy streets from class to class. It's different, but I love it.

There are also a lot of people there that "don't belong" there. I.e. Really rich kids that can go because they have the money.
I actually want to go work in the movie industry doing anything related to arts. I'm good at sculpting so I could do props, I can also draw so I could do storyboards and stuff. I studied in arts in college, too abstract so I'm going into multimedia doing 2D and 3D animation and some programing that includes 6 weeks of internship. Even though I want to do something totally not music related, I'd like to take luthery some day and make my own guitars as a hobby and possibly quit everything and have my own company if I get successful. Chances of being successful are pretty slim so I'm better off having a backup with experience.
im 13, and am lookign to get into a band.

i play bass abotu 4 hours a day, so im definitely loving every minute of it.

i guess ill see what the future brings me.
futball season and football season.
sure i wanna be a pro musician, but i'm not going to study it coz i'm learning more theory in my bass/guitar lessons than in music lessons at school, i really shouldnt of taken it for GCSE
A high percentage of so called pro musicans are people without daytime jobs who call themselves Pro Musicians
There are far more successful semi pros making a decent living than there are so called pros earning zilch, I was pro for a while during Beatlemania 1963/64/65 4+ nights per week, all I ended up with was my Bass, the manager made a mint.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I don't want to make my living off music, but I do want to study it at uni.

Right now I'm looking to get into a double degree in Engineering and Arts. The Arts part would be music performance, all I need to get into that is to nail the audition. That basically means woodshedding and working my arse off for the entire year, I can do it, but it won't be easy.

Since engineering will be my career, it's my priority. So that means that there one Uni I want to go to, luckily I know I can meet the entry requirements and I'm aiming alot higher anyway.

Problems with a double degree? It'll cost alot, it'll take up alot of time. If the music performance part (you have to practice at least 4 hours a day) is too much to handle along with the engineering course and band practices and going out and working then I'll probably switch to another music related course or drop it entirely. Still, a year of music at Uni can only help.

I figured that if I don't try to do some sort of music degree now I won't ever have the time to do it. Even if it's purely for me, I want to do it.

I don't plan on becoming a "pro" muso in the sense that I'll make my living off it. But I do want to have the same skill as a muso like that and I do want to gig pretty regularly. I don't wanna get famous (though I wouldn't think twice about accepting a major deal) but I do wanna make a bit of money off gigging.

Also, you don't have to just be a performer if you wanna make your living off music. There are lots of options.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
I'm in software engineering and game design and wanted to switch to music, but the only thing they had that interested me at my university was double bass, but that required some formal music lessons and the ability to sight-read; two things which I didn't have.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Physics major, here.

I actually plan to do post-graduate studies and hopefully get a doctorate. Or, instead, take a crack at designing/building custom basses and guitars. We'll see how it pans out. At the moment I'm currently scheduled for an interview with a local speaker design company, for university co-op.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
I've no desire to attempt to make a living off my playing, and doubt I'll be changing my mind. The career and studies I have in mind for the future don't involve music, and I don't particually want to invovle it either. It's a hobby, I play in a band with some friends for fun not wanting or expecting to go anywhere, and I might do the same in future as I do like performing, but when it becomes a job for me, it becomes less fun.

Best of luck to anyone wanting a career in music though.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.