Poll: Is new aged rock and metal better than classic rock?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is new aged rock and metal better than classic rock?
HELL YEA!
11 22%
Kinda
11 22%
Who gives a shit! It's music!
15 29%
No, the old stuff is better.
9 18%
**** NO **** THOSE NEW AGED POSERS!
5 10%
Voters: 51.
The guitar solo seems to have disappeared from a lot of it. Or at least been greatly diminished.
Quote by Hikeeba
The guitar solo seems to have disappeared from a lot of it. Or at least been greatly diminished.

Yea I agree, solo now are so minor... :-P
70's Japan Greco SuperPower
Amps: '65 TRRI - Peavey Classic 50 4x10 - Epiphone VJ Head (Modded) - 2x12 Celestion Greenback Cab
FX: BK Tube Driver - EH Small Stone - MXR CC
Acoustics: Breedlove ADSM20 - Alveraz 5021 12-String
Only thing I can say is the quality of lyrics (on average) have gone down drasticly.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
Quote by jiminizzle
hopefully someone will bring back what rock is really about...

no, hopefully some one will do something new. besides what is rock really about?
Quote by guitar?
no, hopefully some one will do something new. besides what is rock really about?

Exactly. There is no use in going to the past to get rock and roll back! That is over with, that's why it's the past. Let's just hope for someone to bring something new to the table that sounds good, and leave this new-aged sh*t to the past. Whos with me?
Well, both have good bands and bad bands. If you look at *some* of the best of each, and some of the worst you will get an idea of the difference.
Muse, MSP, Incubus, TCTC etc are the type of music I prefer.
Its all down to personal preference, for me its modern rock. Thats not to say I don't like older stuff, just don't like it as much. I also hate rubbish like my chemical romance, the problem is people who are fans of older rock don't include the rubbish bands in it yet do when comparing to newer bands.
yea I agree personally I love classic rock but I also like some metal to this day but I dont like most of it, well because its just my opinion
there is alot of crap out here dont get me wrong. But modern rock is better because its so much more broader and expanding to new genres. There is now something out for everyone not just led zeppelin. Bands like tool muse and smashing pumpkins prove that modern rock kills classic.
1# member of R.I.P layne staley club pm me to join
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
Quote by Lukeisonfire
there is alot of crap out here dont get me wrong. But modern rock is better because its so much more broader and expanding to new genres. There is now something out for everyone not just led zeppelin. Bands like tool muse and smashing pumpkins prove that modern rock kills classic.

And once again, thats your opinion. In my opinion, Muse and Smashing Pumpkins can suck Black Sabbaths dick
^ true true. Its my opinion but there is so much more bands that could all beat led zep and black sabbath. Just so much good choices right now... and bad lol
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
um well yeh generally in classic rock there was the good and the bad, and same for modern, but i feel all the good modern bands are overshadowed by the crappy ones that are obsessed with image and money rather than producing good music.

like i dont believe classic rock should be left behind, we still need it for its influence and it just plain rocks , but we also need to be new and fresh at the same time, combine both elements and hopefully something will turn out good!
Quote by jesusgonewrong
Only thing I can say is the quality of lyrics (on average) have gone down drasticly.

are you kidding me?!?!?!?! HAVE YOU HEARD INCUBUS, TOOL, OR FAITH NO MORE?!?!??! IF YOU HAVENT, DONT SAY SHIT LIKE THIS!
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
Quote by jesusgonewrong

Wow. If you'd ask me, I think bands are getting really creative with their lyrics nowadays. How about Incubus, Foo Fighters, Dashboard Confessional (c'mon, look at them in terms of songwriting), Tool, or hell, even Trivium has lyrics that stand for something. You can't exclude an enitre era because you don't like maybe a few artists. I hated the 80s new wave scene, but I love bands like Rush, Iron Maiden, and so on and so forth. The bands me and Luke mentioned are brilliant songwriters, maybe you just didn't look into the lyrics good enough.
LOL
Quote by DownInAHole.
Wow. If you'd ask me, I think bands are getting really creative with their lyrics nowadays. How about Incubus, Foo Fighters, Dashboard Confessional (c'mon, look at them in terms of songwriting), Tool, or hell, even Trivium has lyrics that stand for something. You can't exclude an enitre era because you don't like maybe a few artists. I hated the 80s new wave scene, but I love bands like Rush, Iron Maiden, and so on and so forth. The bands me and Luke mentioned are brilliant songwriters, maybe you just didn't look into the lyrics good enough.

It's a possibility, but I just find alot of modern metal and rock with a much more serious tone to them (A few exceptions of course).

P.S I wasn't slamming an entire era, I just said "On average".
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
If you're talking about pop/punk and emo bands, I know what you're taking about. Tactless songwriting indeed, but alot of modern rock stuff is brilliant.
LOL
Quote by Lukeisonfire
are you kidding me?!?!?!?! HAVE YOU HEARD INCUBUS, TOOL, OR FAITH NO MORE?!?!??! IF YOU HAVENT, DONT SAY SHIT LIKE THIS!
Exactly. From what I've heard, a fair chunk of classic lyrics are balls. There are so many songs you can write about Rock and Roll.

Modern day lyrics deal with spirituality, sense of self and delve into all kinds of philosophical subjects. Not just about getting drunk.

For me, Modern rock > Classic rock. If you want to argue, find something better to do.
Quote by sadistic_monkey
Exactly. From what I've heard, a fair chunk of classic lyrics are balls. There are so many songs you can write about Rock and Roll.

Modern day lyrics deal with spirituality, sense of self and delve into all kinds of philosophical subjects. Not just about getting drunk.

For me, Modern rock > Classic rock. If you want to argue, find something better to do.

Not that I'm defending either, but dude, wake the hell up. Not all of classic rock is about getting stoned and having sex. I believe you are referring to Motley Crue or something. Ever heard of Pink Floyd, Robert Plant, Neil Peart, or Elton John? All of them are brilliant songwriters. However, you are 100% right about modern rock's theme basis. They're getting more and more interesting.
LOL
^ THANK YOU DownInAhole and sadistic monkey! There is so much more choices out there today then just led zep and black sabbath as it was in the 70's. Most of the people who said classic rock are idiots who just goes where the crowd flows to and cant accept that everything is evoling and becoming better. Plus the topics today kill heaven and hell topics of yesteryear like today we have spirituality, drug addictions, world terror, religion, and like history.
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
Quote by Lukeisonfire
There is so much more choices out there today then just led zep and black sabbath as it was in the 70's.

This statement is VERY amusing.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
^ THANK YOU DownInAhole and sadistic monkey! There is so much more choices out there today then just led zep and black sabbath as it was in the 70's. Most of the people who said classic rock are idiots who just goes where the crowd flows to and cant accept that everything is evoling and becoming better. Plus the topics today kill heaven and hell topics of yesteryear like today we have spirituality, drug addictions, world terror, religion, and like history.

Were you around in the 70's? I believe bands like Pink Floyd, the Mothers of Invention and Parliament/Funkadelic all made good rock music addressing war, poverty, spirituality, drugs, political satire, psychology etc etc. Hell, listen to Dark Side Of The Moon and tell me its shallow. Prog rock exploded in the 70's and that stuff dealt with all sorts of weird subject matter and concepts. You REALLY need to listen to more stuff before you generalise dude.

There's always good bands and not so good bands, they just sounded different then. We have Muse, the Chili Peppers, Mars Volta... too many to mention. It's personal preference really. And I'd have to side with some of the more bouncy, improv-based music of yesterday. Not that I don't like a ton of newer bands, I'm just in that kind of mood right now
yeh as much as i commented on b4 how there are both good and bad bands in every era, i tend to like the older bands too, maybe its just me but i dont like to follow current trends of music and styles, maybe when it goes out of style i might pick it up lol
Quote by duncang
This statement is VERY amusing.

how??? I bet you there is 10x more bands then in the 70's! Everything has spread around and now hella lot of bands are forming
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
^ Oh then what do you think he was because duncang is a very confusing guy lol
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
For lyrical content, look at the Goo Goo Dolls... Rzeznik can have some really amazing lyricism.

But also: I like both. I honestly can stand anything. I right now listen to mainly modern rock, but I like classic too. Just don't really have any. It's all decent in my opinion. But I am glad about the deepness of rock music now. Because while THERE ARE GOOD OLD LYRICS BESIDES DYLAN, there wasn't much emotion besides some of the classic rock idols including Hendrix, The Who, etc. And that was just raw energy and power. Not as much music coming from deeper emotions.
Logos and websites for low prices - pm me

Quote by SideshowRaven24
wow dude way to think innovative. nice plan.
Quote by icon_player_5
that would be awesome if you saw it all the way through, good imagination

Fender Telecaster
60s Epi-Acoustic
Fender Pro-Junior
Boss BD-2
Last edited by al silver at Feb 12, 2007,
Quote by Hikeeba

Yeah one of the reasons st. Anger sucked so much was they got rid of the kick ass solos in most Metallica Songs
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by al silver
For lyrical content, look at the Goo Goo Dolls... Rzeznik can have some really amazing lyricism.

But also: I like both. I honestly can stand anything. I right now listen to mainly modern rock, but I like classic too. Just don't really have any. It's all decent in my opinion. But I am glad about the deepness of rock music now. Because while THERE ARE GOOD OLD LYRICS BESIDES DYLAN, there wasn't much emotion besides some of the classic rock idols including Hendrix, The Who, etc. And that was just raw energy and power. Not as much music coming from deeper emotions.

Dont talk the goo goo dolls are a pathetic band for chicks. Dont stoop to their level. What amazing lyrics like " i love you. Lets make out yeah!" Thats their lyrics. Listen to tool and hear great lyrics like in lateralus. :P sorry for being a dick
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
I get that alot, but there's album mainly focusing on his love life...

But also, look at the lrycism within songs like Flat Top, We'll Be Here [When You're Gone], Big Machine, and Slide (which is believe it or not, a pro-abortion song). Also, it might sound somewhat cheesy, but the song Let Love In, for those who can take it seriously, is magnificent.
Logos and websites for low prices - pm me

Quote by SideshowRaven24
wow dude way to think innovative. nice plan.
Quote by icon_player_5
that would be awesome if you saw it all the way through, good imagination

Fender Telecaster
60s Epi-Acoustic
Fender Pro-Junior
Boss BD-2
Quote by al silver

Hendrix not playing from deeper emotions?? You have NOT listened to enough Hendrix my friend

Most people siding with new stuff don't know anything about the old stuff, and vice versa.
^ whats wrong with what he said? hendrix is the most average song writer ITS THE GUITAR THAT MAKES HIM AMAZING!
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
classic rock is like gone except for artists that still do shows

but modern rock is so different
there are plenty of artists now who are just as talented if not more than many of the artists of the sixties and seventies. there always is good music somewhere you just have to learn where to find it, during the 80's there was tons of great bands but i cant stand any that hair metal that was actualy popular during the time. from the sixites and seventies we only hear about the bands that were good becuase people have had 40 years or so to refine which bands were good and which bands were'nt.
so when you say that all modern music sucks or that we dont have enough guitar solos or modern rock lyrics arent good anymore you're just being a little closed minded and need to learn to look around and open your eyes.

some modern bands(within the last 20 years) that i find to be incredibly talented and worthy of listening to:
radiohead, sonic youth, flaming lips,jeff buckley,sigur ros, bright eyes, smashing pumpkins, the pixies, cat power, ryan adams, the red hot chili peppers, john frusciante, pavement, at the drive in, the mars volta, muse, the white stripes,dinosaur jr., joy division,modest mouse, elliott smith,the arcade fire, the cure. and so many more...

while there are also many classic rock bands that i find incredibly talented and could listen to for hours:
the beatles, bob dylan, the byrds, david bowie, the velvet underground, the doors, balck sabbath, the eagles, frank zappa, jimi hendrix, lou reed, zeppelin, neil young, crosby, stills, and nash, pink floyd, the who, the rolling stones and more more as well.

so try taking a listen to some of those and tell me that modern rock is on a decline.