Page 1 of 2
Hello, i am a guitarist and am not in a band. My friend(who has no musical experience, just bought a squier strat to be "cool") wants to start a band. so hes got a drummer a lead singer, and hes gonna play guitar. I dont mind if hes doing it for fun whether or not hes good. BUT HE HAS NO BASSIST AND NO DESIRE TO HAVE ONE!!! bass is the backbone of the band. lead guitar crumbles without drums bass and maybe rhythm guitar (which they dont even have anyway.) When me and my friend explain this to him and my other friend, they say. "theres tons of bands that get signed and make money without a bassist." WHAT THE ****!!! are you trying to be in a band to make music or money??? What happened to the music? its bad enough modern rock has mostly gone to shit, now teenagers everywhere are into the mentality of just making music to make money. When all the great bands from the past wrote music, you think they had money on their mind? no. How are we going to get new GOOD music? are we just going to have to listen to classic rock forever?
Quote by eggo_boi_15
Arnt the first few things anyone learns on a guitar is

1. Nirvana - smells like teen spirit
2. Prince - Smoke on the water
3. White stripes - seven nation army

Quote by #1 synth
i figure as long as its not a puppy it's fair game for my penis.
You're complaining about people not "making music to make music" when these people are trying to make music? The sole problem being they're not doing it the way you want them to?
So you don't want people to do what they want for the love of it, you want them to do it the way you want it done?
Hella lame...
ummm im pretty sure you're allowed to do whatever the **** you want with your band. like my band, it has two bassists and no guitarist (obviously have drummer) is that wrong? no, so neither is having no bassist
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
The Special Ed kid of the bass militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join

Quote by fourstringpunk
She looks like an STD vending machine.
I agree, a band doesnt need a bassist. Its good to have, but not necessary. Besides, its hella hard to find one at any rate.
Quote by raise_the_dead
Technical farts in odd time signatures?

WTF do you eat?

Quote by metabolicmaggot
Wow these answers scare me....I've swallowed some of that suff....I need a shower.
Yes, I think a) bands sound better with bass and b) to do something for merely money is wrong on many levels. But, let go of your anger and let them go find out for themselves the error of their ways. If they aren't successful, you get to have a big cosmic "told you so".

And the pharmacist called, your Valium prescription is in.
dude, calm down, its not like hes gonna get anywhere, after a few months or less he'll quit, who cares if he has a bassist when he cant even play guitar?? the band is basically vocals and drums then, wow, awesome...he'll realize that he cant be in a band because someone will say hes a poser and he wants to be cool, so he'll quit guitar
i see where youre coming from. but they actually said "we just want to make money, who cares whether we have a bassist anyway." Ive got a friend that plays a music style i hate, but i respect his band. if they were playin ****ing screamo music, but doing for fun and love of music, then i could respect it.
Quote by eggo_boi_15

Quote by #1 synth
Bass is useful, but not always essential. You could perhaps use a keyboard instead of the bass or some other instrument. But you'll Need a backbone, wether it be a bass roled instrument or drums.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
Did they say, "theres tons of bands that get signed and make money without a bassist," or "we just want to make money, who cares whether we have a bassist anyway."
Because those two things mean completely different things. The first is a way of proving you wrong. Showing that you don't need a bass player to make music that people enjoy. Also that they're not wrong for doing things you're way rather than theirs.
The second kinda makes them douches.
k, all you you that say u dont have everything, ur in a band to make music for the love of it right? that was more my point, this guy isnt really into music, hes just a robot who switches musical tastes when his friends do, when he was young it was mainstream pop, last year he was obsessed with hendrix and zeppelin because one of my friends is, then it was blink 182 like one of my other friends, and now hes listening to anything this one person listens to, dresses like him, acts like him, COPIES HIS HAIR (girly, no?). Like i said, its more of the fact that theres too many posers trying to be cool and make money without any love for music, i shouldn't have emphasized the no bassist part so much.
Quote by eggo_boi_15

Quote by #1 synth
Quote by jesusgonewrong
Bass is useful, but not always essential. You could perhaps use a keyboard instead of the bass or some other instrument. But you'll Need a backbone, wether it be a bass roled instrument or drums.

thank you, thats exactly what i meant
Quote by eggo_boi_15

Quote by #1 synth
Quote by merfsullivan
Did they say, "theres tons of bands that get signed and make money without a bassist," or "we just want to make money, who cares whether we have a bassist anyway."
Because those two things mean completely different things. The first is a way of proving you wrong. Showing that you don't need a bass player to make music that people enjoy. Also that they're not wrong for doing things you're way rather than theirs.
The second kinda makes them douches.

Well, both actually. so i guess i got proved wrong by douches who do things their own way. lol. i dont think either knows what they are talking about, just posing. i just thought it was weird saying "we'll get signed anyway" right away, basing that on what instruments they play, not skill.

plus i just asked if they had a bassist,and they said they didnt want one because they can get signed without one.
Quote by eggo_boi_15

Quote by #1 synth
k, all you you that say u dont have everything, ur in a band to make music for the love of it right?

One word:

Kiss
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
as much i'd like to say that anyone than ignorant would never become famous, we do have fall out boy and the like, so meh. tell him you'll eat your words when he's making decent m0ney from it.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
White Stripes - two Brit awards, three Grammys, platinum records, no bassist.

There are no rules.
Quote by porchmonkey4lif
"theres tons of bands that get signed and make money without a bassist."

Tell him to name some. He may not hear the bass, but 99.99999999999% of signed bands in rock-based genres have bassists, and most pop music has a bassline in it. The only popular bass-less band I can think of is the White Stripes.

Also, tell him that if he only want to make music for money's sake and doesn't really care, he shouldn't be playing music. Hopefully, as he starts to get better at guitar, he'll start to apprieciate the music more.
Quote by porchmonkey4lif
"theres tons of bands that get signed and make money without a bassist."

What's he smoking? I can name 2 bands with no bass that have any sort of fame. 2.

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs (who suck really...really...really bad)
The White Stripes (who are just kinda there)
Quote by anarkee
Make that 3...the Doors, Ray Manzarek provided the bottom on keyboards.

Winnebago Deal kick ass and don't have a bassist.
the very idea that you "need" something to make music good is warped. You can move someone to tears with a flute if you know what you're doing...
the white stripes have no bassist, but they don't underestimate the power of bass, jack played elephant with an octaver instead of using a bass, and a lot of their songs have the bass played by jack recorded seperaretly, so its still there, i.e. the hardest button to button, offend in every way.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

92% teens have moved on to rap. If your part of the 8% who listen to real music paste this.

opinion automatically disqualified.

but yeah both you and your friend are kinda douchey so either way I mean no one really wins here.
Quote by Trell
opinion automatically disqualified.

but yeah both you and your friend are kinda douchey so either way I mean no one really wins here.

opinion also automatically disqualified.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

If their band doesn't want a bassist, they can do whatever they want its their band. If they say they just want to do it for the money, they'll soon realize that being in music just for the money, especially when they're new, they're going to go nowhere and just quit after like a year.

So just let them do whatever the hell they want and let them fail. Make your own band that does it for the music and if you get famous, rub it in his face.
I would agree that a bass is nice in a band, but people do whatever they want with their bands.

Like my band for example, Da Boss Crew, i am vocals/bass, with another vocals/bass and then a guitarist.

The variety of different instruments also helps so that not all music is the same. You dont need a guitar, singer, bassist, drummer to be a perfect band. You need to do whatever is gets the best sound out of the music that you play.
Pig Destroyer doesn't have a bassist and they're pretty much the best grindcore band ever.
Quote by anarkee
Make that 3...the Doors, Ray Manzarek provided the bottom on keyboards.
Yes but it wasn't just a keyboard it was a dedicated Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, 32 keys extending from low E to B below middle C.
It sat on trhe end of Ray's keyboard.
I've attached a shot just in case you'r doubtful.
Without wanting to upset anyone I must say from what I've seen these days most bassists don't do themselves any favours by just root note bashing, the other night I saw 'Back In The USSR' reduced to 50% of the chords and no riffs from the Bassist just root bashing.
Attachments:
Fender Piano Bass.jpg
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
the white stripes have no bassist, but they don't underestimate the power of bass, jack played elephant with an octaver instead of using a bass, and a lot of their songs have the bass played by jack recorded seperaretly, so its still there, i.e. the hardest button to button, offend in every way.

Actually that is the only two on all their albums. Done with a Digitech Whammy live. He plays Keys on a lot of tracks too.

That's not the point though, it's more an example of how music can be just as effective without bass.

Just like a good acoustic guitar album can.
Any type of music, whether classical, baroque, rock, rap, whatever, is very limited if it does not have a bass voice. Whether it is doing by a bass guitar, keyboards, or even cello doesn't really matter as long as the range is covered.
"If faith is the answer we've already reached it
and if spirits a sign, then it's only a matter of time"
Bass is a beautiful thing to have, but in no way neccesary, and this comes from a bass player whose highest pitched instrument is a bari-sax. I also hate the whole "music for money" metality, but sadly, it does exist. Just let him do what he wants, and it will probably fall apart soon anyway, and as much fun as the "I told you so" thing is, that's just being a dick IMO.
So what if they don't want a bassist. My band doesn't want a rhythm guitarist. Is that so bad?

But seriously people, don't use keyboards instead of bass. It's not the 80's anymore...
A has already been said, you don't need a bass in a band. Though it does help, in most situations.

Stop bing so prissy, if this dude is simply a poser who expects a band with no mucial skill to get anywhere, let him do it, then embarrass himself in front of people. If he has that attitude, they weren't going to get far anyway, with or without a bassist.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Bass is nessesary, notice the white stripes most popular song "Severn nation army" the verse is full of bass.

Also say what you want of the white stripes they suck meg white was voted the worst drummer ever.
Quote by Applehead
White Stripes - two Brit awards, three Grammys, platinum records, no bassist.

There are no rules.

agreed
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by dean_dc
Bass is nessesary, notice the white stripes most popular song "Severn nation army" the verse is full of bass.

Also say what you want of the white stripes they suck meg white was voted the worst drummer ever.

your a ****ing moron.....

no bass is used, jack white just uses a "digitech whammy" and lowers his guitar by one whole octave.

do some research before you open your mouth....
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
^Also who cares whether Meg Whites the worst drummer and Jack is the worst guitarist? All that counts is the "musical fusion" they can make. The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts perchance?
^ People like to criticise things they cant understand. I've seen White Stripes live a couple of times, and i have the DVD of their gig in Blackpool a while back. Jack White is an insane guitarist mate, and accomplished musician. He makes powerful music from simple progressions and arpeggios (hardest button to button, for example). He never writes set lists and he doesnt believe in them - everything is done on the fly with him guiding meg. He never plays the song the same twice, and often doubles the length of some songs just because he fancies playing it for a bit longer.

Whether you like them or not, they are accomplished musicians and should be respected.
Page 1 of 2