What would you say is most important for Bassists who want to play metal? I draw most inspiration from david ellefson, cliff burton, alex webster, as well as many other bassists who i cnat name right now.

im into ALL metal. metalcore is where i draw the line though.

any tips on playing metal bass?
futball season and football season.
Quote by MLmaster37
im into ALL metal. metalcore is where i draw the line though.

All metal? I doubt that. I bet there's plenty of metal you aren't "into".

You need very different playing styles for different types of metal. You're being far to general. Narrow the question down and I'll try and answer!
Speed and good technique are a good place to start
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Remember, just because the guitarists use distortion and wah, it doesn't mean you have to as well. I like to use a reasonably clean sound when playing metal, because I think in some situations it cuts through better. However there are some situations that call for fuzz or overdrive(eg. for whom the bell tolls)

But that doesn't mean you can't go Cliff Burton style and do some solos

I'd also try to learn how to play with 3 or more fingers, or very fast cross picking, so you can keep up with the double bass drumming.
It really depends on style, because playing Sabbath-style doom metal is one thing and playing Nile death metal is another. Metal is such a broad category that asking about anything to do with technique that applys to all metal won't generate many helpful answers.

On the other hand, speed, stamina, and technique are good things to have, although it could be argued that this is needed for just about every genre. If you were more specific I'm sure we could be more helpful.
Alright, to answer some questions.

By all metal, i mean all genre's.

mostly thrash, death, melodic death, and iron maiden style power.also, some folk metal.

i tend to stay away from the repititive open E strumming :IE slayer
bandfs that interest me are bands like death, carcass, into eternity, etc.
the ONLY metal i dont like is metal such ass candlemass.and slipknot. im open to new bands though, since i know i only have touched on .1% of whats out there.

if you want a full band list ill name it, but to save the time i wont do it now.
Speed/stamina and writing abilities. Bassists that play root notes all the time in death metal are boring. Play like Steve DiGiorgio or Webster etc.
Gear:
SX SJB62-5 5-String Fretless Jazz Copy (EADGC)
Ibanez GSR200 4-String Fretted (BEAD)
Ibanez IBZ10B 10 Watt Practice Combo Amp
DR Stainless Steel Lo-Riders
Yamaha Air Cell Straps
Quote by vashts80
Speed/stamina and writing abilities. Bassists that play root notes all the time in death metal are boring. Play like Steve DiGiorgio or Webster etc.

i know. mainly, i started this thread to find new bands with amazing bass acts and or new songs to learn, seeing how i am always fretting to find a song i believ to be wrth learning.
If you're looking for metal bands with amazing bass players look no further than Acid Bath. They only put out 2 albums When the Kite String Pops and Paegan Terrorism Tactics. They are 2 of the greatest metal albums ever and Audie Pitre is one of my all time favorite bassists.
For alot of metal, playing with a pick comes in mighty handy, though there are of course exceptions (Look at Alex Webster playing in one of the most br00t4l bands ever with his figners) so that's just preference. But being fast with either is good, and being able to play power chords on bass can alot of heavyness to a song.
yeah. i play witrh my fingers, 3 of them. the 321232123 method.

and where may i check out acid bath? dot hey have a myspace /website?
Quote by MLmaster37
yeah. i play witrh my fingers, 3 of them. the 321232123 method.

and where may i check out acid bath? dot hey have a myspace /website?

Ya, I picked up that techinique up playing Iron Maiden songs, because it was the easiest way to do the gallops on Run the the Hills, not I find it works for just about everything. Steve Harris rules

It's funny, because I draw my inspiration from so many places, I learned the solid 2-finger technique from Gezzer Butler lines, but learned to speed it up playing Troy Sanders (Mastodon) bass lines. Troy Sanders is probably my biggest inspiration right now, I've really gotten into using all 4 of my fingers as wide stretched as possible, and doing a lot of walk up and walk downs.

What about tone wise, I read somewhere up there that they liked a clean tone, but I don't know, I perfer the grinding tone of someone like Tim.C (RATM), even though there really not that metal, or even Rex from Pantera.

I was wondering what everyone alse thought about writing bass lines, do you sink-up with the guitars and drums and let the band become a machine, or use scales/arpeggios... to drift around the chord progression/riffs, and have a more losse and open feel to the band, while you might have more complex lines to play.

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
when it comes to making your tone "grind", you want to use the amp, not the pedal. When you turn up the Drive knob on your distortion pedal or whatever, it gets really fizzy, fluffy and incohesive. It makes it impossible to cut. However, if you take that overdrive pedal, turn the Drive down to about 1 or 2 and dime the Level or Output knob, and slightly reduce the volume of your amp, you'll get a punchier, more grinding drive. It's better with tube amps; however, many solid state amps react well in this way, such as GK's and vintage, hi-wattage Peavey heads. Using a pick will also help with the punch, but make sure it's at least .73mm, preferably 1.0mm or more. Thin picks will accentuate the fluffyness of the distortion. But fingers are fine.

When it comes to finger technique, try to use as few as absolutely necessary. I'm not saying you should look down on 3-finger technique, I mean, for metal you pretty much need it. But for slower stuff, stick with one or two. Even Cliff did this.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by mountaindew88
when it comes to making your tone "grind", you want to use the amp, not the pedal. When you turn up the Drive knob on your distortion pedal or whatever, it gets really fizzy, fluffy and incohesive. It makes it impossible to cut. However, if you take that overdrive pedal, turn the Drive down to about 1 or 2 and dime the Level or Output knob, and slightly reduce the volume of your amp, you'll get a punchier, more grinding drive. It's better with tube amps; however, many solid state amps react well in this way, such as GK's and vintage, hi-wattage Peavey heads. Using a pick will also help with the punch, but make sure it's at least .73mm, preferably 1.0mm or more. Thin picks will accentuate the fluffyness of the distortion. But fingers are fine.

When it comes to finger technique, try to use as few as absolutely necessary. I'm not saying you should look down on 3-finger technique, I mean, for metal you pretty much need it. But for slower stuff, stick with one or two. Even Cliff did this.

yeah, i get what your saying. i only picked up on the 3 finger technique becuase i figured i would need to learn it soon anyway, even though i can play pretty much anything with 2 fingers.

My settings i used when i still had an amp were 9-10 for bass, 5-7 mid's, and 4-6 treble. my bass settings (2 band EQ) on my ML are 75% up for bass, and 33% up for treble. 100% pickup output.

that gets the tone i need for bands like death, carcass, and most melo death bands.

im getting into alot more death metal stuff like dying fetus, origin, Cannibal corpse, decapitated, suffocation and many others.

does anyone else find that most bands are much better to listen to when they have strong acts on bass? i used to like slayer alot more before i started playing bass. it just seems like tom araya is a waste in that band, seeing how his voice is ntohing special (like his bass playing).

i was jw becuase my tastes of music for metal have changed ALOT since i started playing bass.
Quote by MLmaster37
yeah, i get what your saying. i only picked up on the 3 finger technique becuase i figured i would need to learn it soon anyway, even though i can play pretty much anything with 2 fingers.

My settings i used when i still had an amp were 9-10 for bass, 5-7 mid's, and 4-6 treble. my bass settings (2 band EQ) on my ML are 75% up for bass, and 33% up for treble. 100% pickup output.

that gets the tone i need for bands like death, carcass, and most melo death bands.

im getting into alot more death metal stuff like dying fetus, origin, Cannibal corpse, decapitated, suffocation and many others.

does anyone else find that most bands are much better to listen to when they have strong acts on bass? i used to like slayer alot more before i started playing bass. it just seems like tom araya is a waste in that band, seeing how his voice is ntohing special (like his bass playing).

i was jw becuase my tastes of music for metal have changed ALOT since i started playing bass.

What do you mean "strong acts?"

If you mean being able to actually the bass, then yes. It sounds a lot better to have good production.
Quote by Charlatan_001
What do you mean "strong acts?"

If you mean being able to actually the bass, then yes. It sounds a lot better to have good production.

strong acts as in bassists who make the band. like cliff burton was, alex webster is, ectc etc...

the way i see it, the abssist make or break the abnd. after listening to a band like opeth or dream theater the way the bass is featured leaves me wanting more while listeing to slayer.
Quote by Counterpoise
I like the bass to Raining Blood...though you can't hear it.

funnily thats the only slayer song i play after learning it.
add the bassist of dream theater to that list and my friend...u got a list of some sweet bassist

John Myung is his name....simply amazing too.
Last edited by Crazy Horse at Feb 10, 2007,
the 3 finger technique makes triplets so much easier and makes them sound alot better too

also wen ur going from string to string like the bass solo in orion or parts of pulling teeth by metallica....makes it sound alot nicer and less sound of "being in a hurry"
...its alot smoother
MLmaster37, I would say besides the obvious honing of your chops, working on your tone (having a good punchy "solid" tone, a solo/softer tone - more technique but hey and a distort tone) is good one, as is (depending on which sub-genre you end up writing lines around) working on melodic interludes / little fills. This one thing that really get me hard (excuse my language ) about certain Metal bands / Metal Bassists and is a great way to
1) Add to the sound/feel of songs
2) Give you a chance to breathe (negating the compulsory Metal Bass solos that you must be given on a some what album basis ) and break-up the brutal onslaught of distort Guitars.
3) Give Bass playing Metal-Heads something to go on about to their mates who don't care / and give those Bass players inspiration & and cool Bass line to learn. LOL
Quote by Kepulix
I love the sound of doom in the morning, it sounds like... victory
Quote by Monkey_Bassist
MLmaster37, I would say besides the obvious honing of your chops, working on your tone (having a good punchy "solid" tone, a solo/softer tone - more technique but hey and a distort tone) is good one, as is (depending on which sub-genre you end up writing lines around) working on melodic interludes / little fills. This one thing that really get me hard (excuse my language ) about certain Metal bands / Metal Bassists and is a great way to
1) Add to the sound/feel of songs
2) Give you a chance to breathe (negating the compulsory Metal Bass solos that you must be given on a some what album basis ) and break-up the brutal onslaught of distort Guitars.
3) Give Bass playing Metal-Heads something to go on about to their mates who don't care / and give those Bass players inspiration & and cool Bass line to learn. LOL

for some reason, i can see a monkey right now smoking a fat blunt whilst writing that.

i dont understand what you meant in number 2. care to elaborate?

Quote by Crazy Horse
add the bassist of dream theater to that list and my friend...u got a list of some sweet bassist

John Myung is his name....simply amazing too.

i believ i had mentioned him in this thread, but i cant play his works without a 5 string .Myung is the man, though
Last edited by MLmaster37 at Feb 11, 2007,
try bands like dying fetus, necrophagist,death theese bands have a lot in them for bass
MLmaster37, I was getting at the fact that you don't have to be shredding in the background to be heard, instead your band / songwriting should allow for you to play something other than say, the main riff / root notes etc ALL the time without just resorting to "giving you a solo to shut you up".

For example you might have the main riff in which you just follow / back-up the Guitars, then they switch to clean / acoustic and slower drums while you play a melodic (maybe a arpeggio) riff that stands out. Or just tempo changing so that the Guitars are slowly chugging away a PMed riff and you come out with a fat riff that leads into the next section.

And about the Bass solo thing, I was talking about bands like CC & Necrophagist who have like little solos in between / at the start of songs (e.g. Hammer Smashed Face, Seven etc). Its funny because of how massive and epic the Guitar solos are (ala Mr. Suicez - like every song he has written LOL), while the Bass solos go for like 3 seconds and are really fast.

*This is usually enough for most Bassists to remain happy and feel wanted ........ But seriously it makes it more like saving your virginity or something like that and people look forward to hearing little Bass solos.

/Lights up a wicked joint ........ puts on some Black Sabbath .... and grabs a banana.
Quote by Kepulix
Listen to cryptopsy!
Eric Langlois is one of the best bassists on this earth.
There is no sin but stupidity.
Anyone know some easy-ish bass lines, I'm also looking to get better at bass.
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
Quote by MLmaster37
for some reason, i can see a monkey right now smoking a fat blunt whilst writing that.

i dont understand what you meant in number 2. care to elaborate?

i believ i had mentioned him in this thread, but i cant play his works without a 5 string .Myung is the man, though

ya....wenever i try to find tabs for dream theater songs that are 5 string i can never find them..
hmm..

any ideas of good cannibal corpse songs that are fun to play wit 5 string....
...or am i goin off topic? im so sry threadstarter
Last edited by Crazy Horse at Feb 13, 2007,
Quote by Crazy Horse
wenever i try to find his 5 string stuff. i can never seem to find it

I'm not sure Myung ever released any 5 string stuff, i'm pretty sure he jumped from a 4 string on earlier albums to a 6 string for Metropolis Part 2

And on the subject of writing lines: i read somewhere that a bass should be the link between rhythmn and melody, so i guess the best thing to do would be to lock in rhythmically with the drums, but play notes that follow the guitar part(s) vaguely or compliment them, like harmonies etc...
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Feb 13, 2007,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I'm not sure Myung ever released any 5 string stuff, i'm pretty sure he jumped from a 4 string on earlier albums to a 6 string for Metropolis Part 2

o yaa...i 4got! i read that the other day
i'll have to edit my post

but anyway...how bout any songs that are tuned to BEADG wen u dont need use the highest string?
or...CEADG for that matter also...

i think "as i am" is tuned in dropped C but other than that....i dont know. wat are some fun stuff by him?
"As I Am" is actually played in C standard (guitar tuned C, F, A#, D#, G, C), and you need the 6th string for the harmonics at the beginning...i think...now that i really think about it there's probably a way to play them as tapped harmonics but i don't know it.

Actually i just looked and apparently the bass does just have the low B tuned to C, but you still need to figure out the harmonics part anyway...
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
"As I Am" is actually played in C standard (guitar tuned C, F, A#, D#, G, C), and you need the 6th string for the harmonics at the beginning...i think...now that i really think about it there's probably a way to play them as tapped harmonics but i don't know it.

Actually i just looked and apparently the bass does just have the low B tuned to C, but you still need to figure out the harmonics part anyway...

ya...i remember trying to play wit some people i know....
i would just let the C ring out and they would play the rest of the intro..
sounds like a good way to go if you don't have a 6 string, but i'm waaay too much of a perfectionist to let myself do that...not that i can play some of the riffs anyway, i haven't got 3 finger picking down yet...YET!
Yeah Myung went from a 4 to a 6 (which is what I'm going to do ), and from memory As I Am is a 5 string with the low B tuned half a step UP to C (unless you have a heavy gauge it should be alright).
Quote by Kepulix
Quote by Crazy Horse
ya....wenever i try to find tabs for dream theater songs that are 5 string i can never find them..
hmm..

any ideas of good cannibal corpse songs that are fun to play wit 5 string....
...or am i goin off topic? im so sry threadstarter

i find that the album solo in "hammer smashed face" is way to simple, so i play the live one.

sadly, i dont have a 5 string yet, im getting mine in september.

Listen to cryptopsy!

i know, i have a coupke of there albums, but i also have around 12,000 other songs on my MP3 player too, so i dont hear them alot on the random play all.

ill be sure to chekc them out now, tho
Quote by Monkey_Bassist
Yeah Myung went from a 4 to a 6 (which is what I'm going to do ), and from memory As I Am is a 5 string with the low B tuned half a step UP to C (unless you have a heavy gauge it should be alright).

Umm...no, like i already said you need the 6th string for the harmonics at the beginning, but you're right about the low B being tuned up to C.
a lot of Myungs 6 string songs rarely or sometimes never use the high C string. and when they do you can just play 5 frets up on G. i have a 5 string and its ok for almost every song on octavarium (dream theaters last album).

i still cant play with 3 fingers properly though
Zaphod_Beeblebr, sorry that was a typo, i meant 5th string i.e low B, he used a 6 string.
Quote by Kepulix