I'd get it on paper or something, and lacquer over it. Hard to do though. A better way would be to get someone really skilled to paint it on and then lacquer over that.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
that could work...
base colour, then ide say other colour carfully placed, then the black cross section.
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
If you put fish net stockings over the body while painting you'll get the right pattern, i saw it on a car modification programme. You probably have to do alot of shading to get it to look really good though
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
^ That's a good idea.

BTW, is Bad Penny in reference to the Rory Gallagher song? That is one kickass song.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Thanks, and yeah, he's a pure legend in my book!
^Hey great idea but will it work? I didn't think about shading. It would be very time consuming. This link shows some guys puting real snake skin on a guitar(scrol don) http://www.parkerguitars.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3993

Maybe i do another paint instead of snakeskin.
It work for the guys in the programme! Thats all I can tell ya!

EDIT : I just remembered the programme was American Chopper!
Last edited by Bad-Penny at Feb 10, 2007,
you know those textured papers?

pain a coat, then take another color and paint it on a Snakeskin pattern and press it against it hard.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
there is a reason why jackson has skilled painters & why it costs more for graphics.

if it was easy to do & took no tiem at all it would be cheap.
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
What jackson do is they spray a greyish base coat, and then use a very fine airbrush to draw black scales. Then they use a paint brush to go over the egdes and add some shading. It's a real pain to do.
APMAMAN: Great idea. You are a genius. It would work fine on my guitar project wich is a jackson kv2t. I would only put snake skin on the top and paint the back black. What i only need to find is faux snake skin Does the skin need to be made of paper? (sorry i didn't completly read the tutorial)

Edit: I haven't decided about the paint yet. If y do my guitar from ash, i will do gibson's voodoo finish on it. It that paint job doesnt work, then i will do thr snake skin.
I guess it could be anything. The one used on projectguitar is some sort of cloth, isn't it?

The only problem I see with paper is that it might soak up the laquer and fall apart if you put too much on at once...
^I was thinking on that. Not all kinds of paper soak laquer (paper from posters should soak that easly). Maybe i need to put laquer carefully and apply very small coats at the begining.

The guys from jackson custom shop are very skilled. But cheaper models are not painted. Can you imagine what would be paint millions o piles of skulls on cheap dinkys? Im sure that they print the images.
Quote by superbadboy2
APMAMAN: Great idea. You are a genius. It would work fine on my guitar project wich is a jackson kv2t. I would only put snake skin on the top and paint the back black. What i only need to find is faux snake skin Does the skin need to be made of paper? (sorry i didn't completly read the tutorial)

Edit: I haven't decided about the paint yet. If y do my guitar from ash, i will do gibson's voodoo finish on it. It that paint job doesnt work, then i will do thr snake skin.

I dont know of any suppliers off hand, but i'll have a look. Not to sure if paper would work but i would test it out first to make sure, like on a scrap bit of wood.

It seems as if you would need to contact a supplier directly, like ones from China and places like that which export Faux leather to companys to get made into shoes and what not. Although i have found a UK basied website. I would trust this one more than any site from China since all that Ebay scamming that goes about. http://www.neumannleathers.com/leatherinfo.htm
You would have to drop them an email asking for like a 1x1 meter patch of snake skin. If they cant help you im sure they might be able to point you in the right direction.

PSN ID: ArranP
APMAMAN: Thanks for all the help. I highly doubt that will buy snake skin from outside. Real snake skin must be expensive but a guitar with real snake skin would be complety bad ass. And snake skin must be very thick to work well with laquer. It all depends on the wood that i get. If i get ash, i will do gibson's voodoo finish. If not, then i will think on something else.
No problems at all. Yea, snake skin would probably be quite thick now you mention it. Kinda like leather and it would be a bitch to get it to stay stuck down.

PSN ID: ArranP