Yeah i was just wondering how many people use bass chords in there songs? i'm just wondering cos i wrote a song in just power chords on a bass
Absolutely, though you're probably referring to double-stops. I use chordal shapes and arpeggios all the time, a lot of bassists do.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
i love adding chords in as a variation to stuff, and experimenting with chord shapes, but it's probably because i started off as a guitarist.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
i use my index and middle finger to pluck inverted power chords.

I think theres a name for it but i forget.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
I sneak chords into songs with my band all the time, using them occasionally to start a riff or something i think sounds good
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Hell yeah. Bass chording sounds heavenly.
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
Quote by UndeadPaperclip
Absolutely, though you're probably referring to double-stops.

Aren't power chords double stops. I'm seriously a little confused at this point. Like I know double stops are just playing two string at a time right? So wouldn't a powerchord be a double stop?
Quote by ElPaulos
Yeah i was just wondering how many people use bass chords in there songs? i'm just wondering cos i wrote a song in just power chords on a bass
Are you refering to strummed chords or notes from chords used to construct Bass Lines?
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
yeah i normally put major and minor chords on the D & G string and sometimes power chords on the D & G to add umph
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
I think that power chords sound good on bass when slapping, like in "John the Fisherman" or something similar. I personally can't get chords to sound right on my bass, but then again, I haven't tried very hard.
What about this?

3 = power chord

3 = double stop

correct? I'm pretty sure.

I occasionally play chords in our band's songs. I use the quick fanning out the fingers technique, I don't know the name. Rob Trujillo and Steve Harris use this I believe.

Love the Low end
Quote by John Swift
Are you refering to strummed chords or notes from chords used to construct Bass Lines?

struming them
Quote by Zeelod
What about this?

3 = power chord

3 = double stop

correct? I'm pretty sure.

no, they're both powerchords
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
A power chord is root, fifth and octave, double stop is just root and fifth, LIke Zeelod said.
Quote by dingmydong
A power chord is root, fifth and octave, double stop is just root and fifth, LIke Zeelod said.

no, its a powerchord

it might be a double stop aswell but its still a power chord
<//////>~
If I were to play 5 and 5 (G and D strings), what would that be considered? That's what I'm talking about, at least.
a double stop is when you play the root and the fifth, but the fifth below the root so it would look like this

--------------
-5-----------<root
-5-----------<fifth
--------------

a power chord looks like this

--7----------<root/octave (optional)
--7----------<fifth
--5----------<root
--------------
any questions?
Technically, a chord has at least 3 notes in it.

Quote by Hergiswi
If I were to play 5 and 5 (G and D strings), what would that be considered? That's what I'm talking about, at least.

That might be a root and 4th? I don't know I'm not awesome with chording. Some of it does sound amazing on bass though.
Play 2, 3, 4, and even 5 string chords all the time in the songs I write. They make the song sound really thick and deep, but the important thing is HOW you play the chords. Up-down strumming every eight note like a guitar doesn't sound right... however, strumming every quarter, or doing a long strum once and randomly picking a note in the chord can sound really nice.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I do. Go to www.myspace.com/gatheredheretoday and listen to the song Remembrance Of. During the last breakdown (a little after 3 minutes), when the guitars slide into the upper register to do the harmony I slide in with them and play a Dm7 triad. I think it sounds pretty good.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Technically, a chord has at least 3 notes in it.

Sorry to be a dick, but I have to clear this up. A power chord is never a real chord. A power chord only consists of either the root and the fifth, or the root, fifth, and octave. A chord requires three different tones, not notes, to be considered a chord. The octave is not a different tone from the root, so it's still technically a diad. If you were to play the root, the third, and the fifth, then you would be playing a chord.
Quote by Hergiswi

I'm pretty sure that's a barre chord, but i could be wrong.
As for me I use octave chords, just cus they sound pretty.
It seems to me that what some of you are describing could be played by a guitarist using an octave down pedal, there are some pedals that will go down two octaves.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Bass chords are fun. It makes your guitarist give you a funny look . I don't normally play bass chords in a band situation, but when playing by myself and with my own material I use them quite a bit.