I have my dads Les Paul Copy (Satelite brand or something) and it is completely messed up. I have decided to try and fix it, as it would give me some experience in customising guitars.

I first of all read a guide on Adjusting Intonation on the guitar, as the harmonix were out.

I first of all had a go at fixing the second string down, and it was sharp on the 12th fret. I went to turn the screw on the bridge towards the neck and it was all the way there already. Does this mean that the guitar has the wrong gauge strings on it? I did it for the 5th string down and got it working perfect, but I stopped there as if I need to re-string the guitar I will waste time.

I don't know what gauge are on the guitar atm, but is there any gauge that you think would work for a Les Paul copy (it has a gibson copy style bridge). Or any other solutions to this problem?

Thanks alot.
If it's sharp you want to move the saddle AWAY from the neck. Think about it, you are lengthening the string there, so making it lower.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Hmm, I'm sure when I turned it that way before it made it go even higher, but I will have a go, first time I ever tried to fix anything on a guitar. Thanks mate
When you've adjusted the saddle, make sure you retune the string before you check.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Right, so I have got 5 strings working at both ends when in tune, but there is the 5th string down that is the problem. When I try and tune it in, it always goes flat or sharp. I finally got it so it was only a little tiny bit flat, and then i played it at the 12th and it was sharp. I tried to make the string bigger by moving the 'saddle' (if that is what the thing above the screw is called) towards the bridge, but it wouldn't budge anymore, it was all the way along.

Any idea what it could be? faulty tuner or something? i will try tightening all the nuts at that tuner and making sure it isnt lose.

Oh and also, I noticed some of the screws under the saddles were lose, are they meant to be like that or are they meant to be very firm?
It should be working fine. Keep playing with it and it should intonate fine. Retune it to B and try and adjust the intonation again. Everytime you move the saddle, you MUST retune the string before checking the 12th fret. Check the 12th fret against the harmonic too, as they harmonic and the 12th fret should be the same note at exactly the same pitch.

That's the problem though, the saddle doesn't move along anymore. Want me to take a pic to show you the problem?

Are you saying that if I play the guitar abit, the string will inotate itself? This hasn't been played properly for years and years (10-20 years). When i say properly, more than 10 minutes, as it is absolutely awful to play. That's why I am actually risking mod it, no way would I go near my guitar, and mine is only a squier :P
No, it won't intonate itself. You need to set the intonation yourself. A TOM bridge should offer enough movement in the saddles to size 10s for sure (I have 10s on my Les Paul)

Hmm, you think a different set of strings would do the job? No idea what the strings on there are at the moment. Would I have to change all of them or could I just change that string, like would there be a disadvantage if I only changed the one in the sound?