Page 1 of 2
I'm just wondering since everyone says, "Hmm, it seems that your ear hasn't really developed for tone yet." How could you tell when your ear developed? I mean, personally, the way I determine if I like a tone or not is that I close my eyes, hear the tone and visualize it.

You?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
i got know idea what ur talkin bout, y would ur ear have to"develope" to hear something? i here tones fine. all i do is just listen.
only quite recently i started thinking that open chords on a solid-body electric guitar through a solid state amp sound awful, unless you put the bass really high and the treble quite low.

and over time ive gradually noticed bass more and more, like before i started playing guitar, if my subwoofer broke i wouldnt have noticed, but now every time i listen to a song i think "hmm the bass has stopped, is there something wrong with my subwoofer?"
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Thats a bit deep dont you think, Jinskee?

I dont know. I just finally got to the point to where I could tell if it was something I liked. People have questioned my ear for tone before but it has all been something I liked. Whether it be a Line 6 Spider or a Hughes and Kettner right down to my VJ. But I know that theres more to tone then just and amp, so when I test tone I try to take my guitar and use the same setup that I have at home, since I cant very well take my pedal boardto GC or some place. I just buy what sounds good to me. Tone is subjective anyway so I dont really understand people talking about their ear for tone.
I would say for me...not that long ago actually....probably about...November of last year, after I'd been playing just under 2 years.

I say that cause that was basically around the time I started to REALLY notice the crapness of my MG
i think an ear for tone is subjective to what kind of tone you like, but i played other instruments before guitar, so in a way i kinda always have had an ear for what sounds alright and what doesn't, i don't think you have to have the most expensive gear around to have a good ear for tone, and sometimes people on here, if you don't have a tube amp or a name brand guitar, then they think you automatically don't have an ear for tone, i'm happy with my setup, i think if you like the sound of what you have then that's all that matters, it's your gear, and if you like it why worry about what other people think, just my opinion
begin.of this school year... after i picked up my guitar again.
toen developed, i knew what note sounds were ... etc etc
also, i relized the crappyness of the mg :P
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
A couple of weeks ago, when i tried to play piano. i could "tab" out stuff like iron man, for the love of god etc. with 2 tones of the start on the piano by ear and logic sense =)
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
- Jimi Hendrix (R.I.P)

"Nobody dies a virgin... Life fucks us all."
- Kurt Donald Cobain (R.I.P)
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Thats a bit deep dont you think, Jinskee?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
when i realized that my digitech metal master sounded like crap compared to my amp's overdrive. and also that scooping mids actually doesn't sound very good.
gibson sg
ltd ex-250 w/ emg 81/85
danelectro piece of crap
boogie mark III simul head (purple stripe)
boogie DC-5 112 (FS)
all tube peavey bravo 112
I think you really just think stuff sounds good until you experience something that sounds better. Like I thought my Valvetronix was great but then I started trying some actual tube amps when I could afford one and now I can tell that it isn't THAT great.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
^I'm in your spot FFDFEFRERE#R# (lol).

Same thing happened to me.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
When you can listen to Santana's 'Black Magic Woman' and appreciate the phrasing without thinking 'man, it'd be so much better with a tapping lick there.'
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
When i noticed it? When i was a n00b and had played for less than a month i tried an Epiphoen G310 and a G400 plugged into a Vox Valvetronix and could hear the difference between them. I remeber how much fuller and better the G400 sounded.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I eventually tried to lsten to as many songs as possible, and write down the qualities of tone. Every guitarist has that point when they think their practice amp has good distortion. Later, you realize that there's more to it than that.
Probably when I started my new band. I thought my little Fender 65 watt was on top of the world until I started jamming with some friends, and I was put up against the other guitarists Crate. (Yes, I know it's Crate, but it made me realize my Fender sucked.)

And then once I got my JSX, my ear for tone has greatly improved. I've become very picky about my tone.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
It depends on what kind of music your playing. If its classic stuff go with an old amp and you cant really go worng.

But for newer heavier stuff. You have developed a good ear when you realize scooping your mids out is dumb and you dont need your gain as i high as you once thought. When you come to terms with hey if i turn my gain down a little bit and boost my mids a little bit this is gonna sound alot better then your heading in the right direction. You will definitly notice it when you play live. Try it play live with your mids scooped out you might as well just unplug and go watch as they arent gonna hear you anyway
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
that "developing your ear for tone" is bullshit people use to make their tastes seem superior to others. I know what sounds good and i pretty much always have.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Your QUEST for tone has developed when you begin to ask questions like this. God speed.
My ear for tone got better after I got a job to pay for decent stuff.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
that "developing your ear for tone" is bullshit people use to make their tastes seem superior to others. I know what sounds good and i pretty much always have.

Now who's sounding superior? That's bollocks I'm afraid, nobody knows jack about their tone when they start out, if you believe that then you must still sound pants!

If that's the case why are there so many videos on youtube that sound like ass - you wouldn't put anything on there unless you though it sounded good. I'm not talking about people's level of ability, just the tone they have....no mids, too much fizzy gain, too much bass.

You may know the sounds you want to get out of your guitar, but it takes time to learn how to ge then out of your equipment and even longer to recognise when you've actually got them yourself - quite often you think you've got something good but it just sounds shit. A lot of players, particularly the younger ones, just want to make noise at first hence BOSS's healthy MT-2 sales - to a serious guitarist that pedal's only one step up from Guitar Hero.

Your ears are perfectly capable of differentiating the timbres of two different notes, spotting if your EQ'ing is wrong or recognising the chartacteristics of distortion. However, your brain isn't - everyday hearing doesn't require it to go into that sort of detail. We recognise voices, but we get other cues like the visual one when you see someones face...ever wondered why you don't always recognise someone's voice on the phone? It's not just the sound quality, it's because you're hearing the sound in isolation without anything else to trigger recognition (unless you've got caller ID!).

With musical tones in any instrument you need to build up a "library" of sounds in your head to compare and understand how they're formed, the more you listen to the more reference material the brain has to draw from. You also train your brain to analyze those particular sounds more, it realises "These sounds are important, i'll devote more time to them". As far as your own guitar sound goes, most guitarists listen to a lot of music, and the more familiar you become with certain sounds and the more likely you are to either recognise it when it comes out of your amp, or identify which components of it are missing if you can't get it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 11, 2007,
Quote by mig28
Your QUEST for tone has developed when you begin to ask questions like this. God speed.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
I played enough stuff to know what sounded good and what didn't.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

usually i agree wt u, but not here.

it took my friend months of specialized air force classes to train her ear to pick up and differentiate sensitive high pitched tones, when she was a morse code operator.

we all go thru a growing period. at first not being able to tune a guitar by ear. eventually being able to find an E anywhere on the board.

it's true of any skill. someone trained is more apt to find flaws and/ or fully appreciate works of art in that field.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Hmm, I don't remember it happening. Because my dad and brother are both DJ's, I've been surrounded with music and good equipment all my life. Because of that, I developed a good ear and started putting it to use within a couple of months of picking up a guitar.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
When I got a decent Les Paul copy and Bluesbreaker II pedal to de-shitty-fy my MG15DFX.

However I played an SG Standard last week through a Line 6 all-tube job (can't remember which model) with the Bluesbreaker and I realised how woolly my Les Paul is in comparison.
i wasnt aware line6 did tube amps
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
It was when I played an amp that wasn't an MG...I guess playing different guitars gave me a better ear for tone too...
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Hahaha no
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
before i started playing.

My favorite tone inspired me to play (Brian May FTW)
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Clapton on the Bluesbreakers album was pretty much what got me hooked...and gave rise to my UG name. (Cos I have THE tone...or will have when I get my SG..and then my Vox.. )
^Good luck on that one.

Well, the artists who have inspired me to reach tone would probably have to be alot of the cliche' rock artists; clapton, page, vai, and slash. I don't care what you think, if you think they're overrated or whatever--they're great gutiarists and they truely revolutionized my ability to hear.

Man, I love their tone.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
I still say the "ear for tone" thing is bullshit, especially the way most people here use it, tone is completely subjective, yet anytime someone here claims to get a sound they like out of a generally poorly regarded amp about ten people come in bitching about how they havent developed thier "ear for tone" that just screams elitist bullshit. You dont need to have specific training or development to find a sound you like, only to find a sound that the UG tone snobs like.

Last.fm
i was just saying that u can train ur ear.

not to say which tone is "better."

two different things.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
meh, I think most newbs really can't tell the difference between nice guitars/amps in terms of sound.

I'm not being elitist either. I really started to hear the difference after about two months of playing...
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by jj1565
i was just saying that u can train ur ear.

not to say which tone is "better."

two different things.

yeah, thats true, but training your ear to find a suitable timbre that you like is pretty damn hard since its completely subjective, you just happen to know what you like. Training your ear to recognize certain pitches is completely different.

When people talk about an "ear for tone" they are talking about the former.

Last.fm
Quote by hamish5178
meh, I think most newbs really can't tell the difference between nice guitars/amps in terms of sound.

I'm not being elitist either. I really started to hear the difference after about two months of playing...

+1. When i started out I had a crappy $200 Strat copy that i had never heard of. (it was a GK ). i also have a Vibe amp which I had never heard of, and I thought it sounded like the best thing in the world. Then I upgraded to a Fender Princeton 65 watt and thought that was the shizzle. Even up against other people's decent amps, like a Crate 212 (I know it's Crate, but I thought it sounded awesome at the time), I still thought my Fender was hXc. Yea, when you start out, you think your sound is the best sound ever, until you play around, and train your ear a little more.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Page 1 of 2