Page 1 of 2
This was a question asked recently on one of my psychology tests and I just wanted to see what others would say.

When called upon one's government individuals are morally obligated to risk their lives for their country.

Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?

* casualty01 slinks away, sad, with a paddle in one hand and a strap on in the other.
It depends on why one would have to risk his/her life for his/her country, and in how.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
No, I am not obliged to defend my country at the will of my government. The government does not represent me as an individual but my country as a community.
Also, I'm a wuss.
I disagree simply because if i went to war it wouldn't be for the land itself, it would be for the people in it.

Therefore stating my country as the reason and not the population would make the statement false.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
No.
I do not agree.

I think we should have our freedom, even if it's given to us by the goverment. so like, if I dont risk my life for this country will you kick my ass out of here? no freaking way, bitch!
books have knowledge, knowledge is power, power corrupts, corruption is a crime, and crime doesn't pay..so if you keep reading, you'll go broke.

UG Profile
Quote by tommyt
I disagree simply because if i went to war it wouldn't be for the land itself, it would be for the people in it.

Therefore stating my country as the reason and not the population would make the statement false.

Okay, then what if it was "for the country's people"?
I don't think you should feel obligated to give your life to your country.
<Omri> I love trannys too..
Last edited by Hells_Bell at Feb 10, 2007,
Quote by Archaon
Okay, then what if it was "for the country's people"?

then i guess, yeah i would
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Its bullshit that at 18 that you can get drafted. I didnt choose to live here my parents did
C2B3
Colnel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains

Quote by larry jones
I don't put people's quotes in my sig, but this would go there if I did.
No. the government shouldnt be able to just randomly pick a person to send of to war, plus it has nothing to do with morals.
No, there's no reason to say that duty supercedes any other kind of moral...
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
I agree, because it's their job to defend their country.

Depends on their beliefs. =\
It's a moot point. Nowadays it's the person giving their life for their country's luxury needs.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by faqu
No.
I do not agree.

I think we should have our freedom, even if it's given to us by the goverment. so like, if I dont risk my life for this country will you kick my ass out of here? no freaking way, bitch!

But we ought to. If you're not willing to risk your life for your country, to defend it's principals that all are equal and should be free, to protect your brother, you should not be allowed the freedoms that our fathers died for, so that your liberal ass can sit there and degrade what they did for us.
Quote by madbass518
rbmason speaks the truth
Quote by guitarfreak042
i said it was the greatest movie of all time not the greatest comedy of all time......idiot....

Epi Les Paul
Epi Goth G400 Extreme
Crate GLX212
Quote by human-blasphamy
Its bullshit that at 18 that you can get drafted. I didnt choose to live here my parents did

Well at the age of 18 you can also choose to live in another country...
people aren't thinking of it from both sides, think about it, if everyone says no and wont fight, then your country will lose and you'll end up dieing anyway, or living the rest of your life in poverty.

So you can either risk your life and fighting for your country, your family and friends, or, you can sit there, do nothing, and hope that your country isn't invaded, which is just as likely to result in your death. So you shouldn't really need to be "forced" to, you should "want" to.

I'd rather die trying to make a difference then doing nothing

(then again, there are exceptions though, like the war in Iraq, which i think is completely unnecessary, someone shouldn't be forced into that unless it developed into something of a larger scale like a world war)
dont Listen to my friends band at: -www.sweetnightmare.com
-www.myspace.com/sweetnightmare1
-www.purevolume.com/sweetnightmare
no, a government is obliged to serve its people, not the other way around.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
You didn't necessarily state why one would be called upon. "Defending" and "Fighting For" your country are two very different things...

I probably wouldn't do either... Depends...
Quote by iplayfenders66
Well at the age of 18 you can also choose to live in another country...

My grampa got his draft letter a couple days after his birthday
C2B3
Colnel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains

Quote by larry jones
I don't put people's quotes in my sig, but this would go there if I did.
No. Fuck that shit.

EDIT: I hate the word "obligated". Should be "obliged". Stupid grammatically correct but wrong-sounding words.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Kensai
It depends on why one would have to risk his/her life for his/her country, and in how.

/thread

No, if China declaired war on the West and invaded the World, i would join up and fight without a douht
I dont think you should have to, I mean, you're just another animal in this huge world trying to live your life, your life shouldn't be in anyone's hands but yourself.

Luckily though, I can't get drafted as I had surgery on my back, so yeah
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Quote by beau05
I'd say country or bluegrass would be pretty difficult, for being inbred is a pre-requisite
I disagree with the statement that was made. However, I think that living in a country that is free, you should stand up to keep it free for future generations. I would in a heartbeat, if I felt that it was necessary. That doesn't mean I wouldn't be scared, but I would do it.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
^ i agree. I'd only be willing to die for something that I believe in.
Quote by garden of grey
You can go across the world and legally shoot peoples heads off at 18,
But you can't hurt yourself with a beer at the same age.

Really? When did they pass the bill legalizing murder?
No. I dont think people should sacrifice their lives for the sake of the country. People, on to an extent, should be obligated to serve their country.
Quote by Zuka

It's called war. Happens all the time and people rarely face a punishment for it.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
George S. Patton, Jr.
Quote by Meths
It's called war. Happens all the time and people rarely face a punishment for it.

QFT
Quote by garden of grey
Do you have to be a complete dick to everybody?

You know what I mean. Killing people in self defense is still killing them.

I obviously meant in Iraq or wherever we are declaring a war.

Lurn 2 sp33k.

I thought you meant an individual could kill his wife, take a plane to Italy, shoot a random merchant...

Poor Word Usage = Misunderstandings.

Justify that.
Quote by Zuka

You're mentally deficient if you didn't understand what he meant by that.

edit:
I'd hardly call it "poor word usage" on his part, more like stupidity on yours. No offense.
Quote by malibuclc

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
George S. Patton, Jr.

hahahaha

That's ****ing hilarious IMO. Thank you for sharing that.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Quote by tommyt

+1

I say no, if their is something important at risk like the population or our freedom I would agree.

However i'm not gonna give my life for a pointless war.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by Page&HammettFan
hahahaha

That's ****ing hilarious IMO. Thank you for sharing that.

I'd hardly call war "hilarious". And that quote wasn't meant to be funny.
i wish their could be a fair way to do it. for example i believe a draft should not be instated in america if this whole war on terror goes on for years to come. however when you look back at events such as the world wars, we actually needed the draft, because the consequences of losing such wars would be horrible, as compared to the consequences of the war in iraq. i would not be willing to die for the war now, but in the future, if a situation were to arise where America was clearly in danger, such as by the onslaught of a hitler type character, then i would be willing to fight for such a worthy cause as the well being and survival of america. it's a matter of reason, and because were talking about human lives, i cannot support that you are obligated to fight and die for your country under any circumstance that they feel you should be doing such. not every war requires it, so we should not be forced into it.
Page 1 of 2