so yesterday me and my friend were jamming. I had the amp vol on 4-5 on the hi gain channel. after awhile of playing the amp was cutting out and crackling. so i check the cords and effects and finally to do a direct input from my guitar into the amp. now it doesnt do anything except the occasional crackle. i found if i turned it up loud i could hear the tubes putting out the sound that should be coming from the cab, it could have been the tubes or another component (pre amp tubes i think) the amp was set for 16 ohms

when i got home i opened it up and looked at all the tubes and fuses took them out and replaced them(same tubes & fuses), they all looked fine. i tried again after replacing the tubes and it played. but this time i set it to work as 4 ohms.

today i set it up again at 16 ohms and tried to play it, no sound except from the preamp tubes. then set it up for 4 ohms and it worked.

Whats wrong?
do i need new tubes?
is something broken in the head?
I Survived The "Silent Deftone Cocksucking Forum"!-August 15th, 2006
Last edited by dez_cole at Feb 10, 2007,
I would take that into a shop, they'd know best.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Youprolly cooked the output transformer. When it's on 16 ohms, it's using all of the windings in the output side of the transformer...when it's on 4 ohms, it uses only the first half of the output side of the transformer...you fried the second half, so 16 ohms is affected but 4 isn't.

You were saying that you were switching back and forth...you have 4 ohm and 16 ohm cabinets for that right? 'Cause running a 4 ohm box on a 16 ohm jack will cause it to fry like that.
yeah i have a cab that can switch between 4 8 (stereo) and 16, and i pay attention to what ohms rating i choose.
i could have done that but i checked and i don't think i did.
also it wasn't allowed proper ventilation, it was right up against a wall due to size restraints of my friends room. so could that have fried the transformer?

And thanks for the replies!
if you did fry the transformer, have a hot rod one put in! breaking something is more reason to upgrade!!
Quote by krometj
if you did fry the transformer, have a hot rod one put in! breaking something is more reason to upgrade!!

definitely, that was what i was thinking.
what would be a good output transformer to replace my dieing one?
i play high gain metal if that matters.