Im interested in getting a new bass guitar as an upgrade from my one year old Squire P-Bass. Can anyone explain the difference between a Fender Jazz Bass and a Fender American Jazz Bass. And the Difference between the two and a Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass. Thanks in advance.
As with almost all instruments, those made in America are usually way more quality. I say usually because sometimes you get guitars made in indonesea that play better than American ones. I'm pretty sure the deluxe would just have better pu's or something that the standard.
The Set-Up

Gibson Les Paul/Fender MIA Deluxe Strat --> MXR Super comp --> Boss DD-3 --> Dunlop Crybaby --> Need an amp, wanna sell me one?
between the american and the standard, the American has better pickups, an alder or ash body, graphite-reinforced neck , and an S-1 switch that when depressed makes it sound like a P-bass. The standard is made out of all-American parts, but assembled in Mexico to make it cheaper. The pickups are completely Mexican, however. Also, the mexican only comes with an alder body. I think there's an ash option but I'm not sure. IMO the mexican Fenders are more "vintagey" because they're more basic. The americans have modern updates. However, the Americans are ultimately a higher quality.

Also, I forgot to add that you can get either maple or rosewood fingerboards on an American, rosewood only on a MIM.

As for the the deluxe, it comes with active (battery-powered) electronics (the pickups and controls). The other models are passive (that means no battery. the power is produced by tons of winding on the pickups as opposed to a battery.)
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
I'll break it down, because I own a Squier and an American Deluxe Jazz and have owned a Mexican.

Squier - Made in Asia, standard layout, inexpensive electronics and hardware, typically not Alder or Ash (usually Agathis), multi-piece bodies, and not too nice finishes on the body and neck.

Mexican - Made in Guatemala... whoops, Mexico, better electronics, still cheap hardware, typically made of Alder but still known for multipiece bodies, finish on neck is nicer, and uses Polyester finishes.

US Standard - American made with great electronics, good hardware, made of proper Alder or Ash, worst case 2 piece bodies, Polyethelene finish, graphite reinforcement, and has S1 switching.

US Deluxe - More modern Standard-like basses, with 2 more frets, downsized bodies, contoured heel, better/lighter hardware, typically 1 piece body, rolled fret edges, Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pickups (best pickups I've ever played), active preamp with 3-band EQ (whereas all the previous ones were passive), abalone inlays, and the option to choose between maple and rosewood fingerboards (although some Standards have that option).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
About $500. I've played my Mexican Deluxe active in comparison to an American made Jazz, they sound very simmiliar. The real thing your paying for is the made in America. But the Factory in Mexico, those workers do take pride in their work. The ones mad in America are supposed better quallity. I've only had mine for a Year or so, so I can say that it'll be playing strong 30yrs down the road like most american mad Bass's are. But I'd say it'll be close.
you might want to know but there are mexicans working at the American facility in Corona...
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
Quote by Ampeg SVT
you might want to know but there are mexicans working at the American facility in Corona...

Your point?
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Thanks for all the information. I guess my next question is what difference does the type of wood matter beyond aesthetics.
im just saying that, they are really good basses though
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
my american jazz bass is VERY reliable it's built like a tank! one time i took my bass off my shoulder carelessly and hit the ceiling fan and it broke the ceiling fan not the the bass the bass was perfectly fine not a scratch
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Calcio57
Thanks for all the information. I guess my next question is what difference does the type of wood matter beyond aesthetics.

Wood is very important. My Fender is made of Ash, with a maple fingerboard, and it's very bright and snappy. Alder tends to be a bit on the warm side, and rosewood fingerboards are really warm. Ash has a nicer grain much of the time, and tends to be considerably lighter than Alder (although my 13lb. '51 reissue is made of Ash, so it isn't always the case).

However, Ash costs more.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Different woods resonate differently giving off different tones. Ash only costs like 10 more dollars to make a body out of, but is more desirable for fenders and they don't use it much so that's most likely why they cost 100 more or so instead.
If you have the money to afford an American fender bass go for it. If not a mexican bass is just as good...excluding the hardware and wood your also buying the American name. The standard basses play just as good but cheaper. In the end I would suggest the fender deluxe bass shown here : http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-P-Bass-Special-4String-Bass-?sku=515201 It's about a 100-150.00 more then a standard P or Jazz bass but It has both P/J pickups plus the choice of either maple or rosewood fingerboard. The deluxe has a P bass body which is a little lighter then jazz body and It has the jazz bass neck (which isn't as thick as P bass neck). Personally the deluxe bass is what I'd like to get for my next bass (except that pickguard has to go..a vintage dirty white pickguard in its place would be sweet).