Page 1 of 2
Now I am not trying to say anything bad about the B string, but is it really absolutely necessary?? My uncle played as a pro bassist/guitarist/keyboardist for 30 years and he just got his first 5 string for christmas...and even he was asking if it wasnt just a waste....i have no prob with it but??? i dono hit it up
My friend has one of the six-string basses and I keep asking him, well why dont you just buy a guitar?

And he said it was cooler.

I dont think having to hunch over like an idiot to play your instrument is cool.

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
I assume you talking about a bass and therefor I say that I don't say it's "neccesary".
but I all depends on what you are playing and how you want it to sound.

I personly would't need it because it's wrong for my kind of music.
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
i mean....the thing was a beauty and sounded awesome....it was a fender...i fell in love....but is it just a waste of a string and couple hundred extra bucks to get one extra string?????
No the 5th string isn't nessicary. But neither is the EAD or G strings. Why do you need the strings to begin with?

It's all preferance on how you want to be able to make you music. Some people choose drums, some string instruments, some keyboards, others brass, woodwinds or vocals.

Other people choose glass bottles and sea shells. Trash cans, wash boards, 5 gallon buckets, frying pans, and lightbulbs.

There is nothing that is "necessary" in music. Once you realize that, the world of music breaks wide open for you. Everything can be turned into an instrument. Even the sound of your footsteps as you walk, or the sounds of your key strokes.
If your playing in a band that uses 7 strings a 5string is nesacary

what isnt (unless your the bassist of meshugah ) is this bass warwick makes

its tuned F# B E A what the ****
Some people like bowel movements when they play bass.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Its fun to play.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by CoolDudeMorgasm
Some people like bowel movements when they play bass.

very true...
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
learn some green day. they are totally brutal.
It means unless you're band tunes to A, you don't have to down tune while your guitarists do! Yay!
i must be doing something wrong then....i play with a 7 string ...lol.....but im not all that great ...been playing for a while but only know enough to get my by....
If you have a seven string guitarist in your band you could have a fifth string. Or if your one of those virtuosos who need the extra string(s).
No, it's not necessary, but it's nice to have.

And I seem to be one of the few who actually find 5-string basses more comfortable to play than most 4-strings.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
It all depends what you play. Like someone else said, if you are a virtuoso you may enjoy the presence of that extra string but for some people it gets in the way. I'm not a 5 string man myself but I can see that one would come in handy now and again.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
It all depends what you play. Like someone else said, if you are a virtuoso you may enjoy the presence of that extra string but for some people it gets in the way. I'm not a 5 string man myself but I can see that one would come in handy now and again.

very true. i reall want a 5 string becuase it will imporve my range of playing greatly.

i hate listening to dream theater now becuase i hate NOT being able to play myungs lines, even though they inspire me.

having only 4 strings just seems to hinder me, which is why my next bass is the shecter stilletto 5
futball season and football season.
Quote by malachifivebass
is it really absolutely necessary?

Nope. It's all personal preference.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Quote by canadianpunk071

And I seem to be one of the few who actually find 5-string basses more comfortable to play than most 4-strings.

I agree that a 5 string is more comfortable than a 4. A 6 string is actually the most comfortable for me. My hands aren't even big. That sounds weird but it's probably because I play upright bass alot.
personally i dont see why you would need more than 4 strings and i hate those crazy huge 11 string basses

but thats just me
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Well, a low B string is required to play the low notes Eb, D, Db, C, and B.

Another benifit is the ability to play one note in three octaves without changing hand positions. You just have access to more notes in the same hand position. Personally, I think that's very helpful.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Well I must be weird because I'm getting a 6 string soon. Its all about preference and what you play. More strings = more range. So some notes you don't need to change position when you're playing and for me thats a big plus.
Quote by screamsoftly
My friend has one of the six-string basses and I keep asking him, well why dont you just buy a guitar?

I dont think having to hunch over like an idiot to play your instrument is cool.

Stings are bigger, different sound. So why would he buy a guitar? Think about that for a second.
some bassists get a little protective of 5 and 6 string basses, but in all honesty you are there to back up the music by providing the bass line and rythem. It would be like a drummer with a 24 peace kit . you don't need it unless you are showing off. if you can keep good rythem and complement the guitar then you are doing fine. My dad has been playing 4 string for over 30 years, my brother has been playing for 6 years, i have been playing for 5 years, and none of us have had the need for more than a 4 string bass. My dad plays rock and blues, my brother plays metal, and i play funk and rock.
^ I hope he joking, because that is a retarded statement/view. (refering to screamsoftly)

As has been said, its a preference and music style thing, after nearly 2 years of playing I am moving from a 4 to a 6 (once I have saved up for one - SR506 here I come ). As I have had enough experience playing and more recently started writing my own music to change over to a 6-er as it would fit my style better and give me more range.
Quote by Kepulix
I love the sound of doom in the morning, it sounds like... victory
Last edited by Monkey_Bassist at Feb 11, 2007,
that is my point, it is a style thing. If you like to play bass more like a lead instrument then it would work fine, look at the amount of popular bands that only use 4 string basses. You can have more, but it does not mean people will appreaviate it. look at the ratiio of 4 string bass players in bands that the majourity of people listen to, compared to the amount of 5 and six string even 10 and 12 string bass players in bands that are in the top 100 songs, and most of them are 4 string bass players. My point was that it is not necsessary. It does sound good, but you might as well be a lead guitarist if you need to do that.
It's just a matter of personal preference, if your going to do alot of bass solos or need more range for your basslines then yes an extra string would be a good idea, especially if you don't want to keep tuning your bass to get a lower sound. The same applies for a 6 string, it's just a matter of preference
Influences:
Cliff Burton
Steve Harris
Duff McKagan
salemboicot, your sort of stating two things there. Saying its a preference is one thing but saying that because more popular bands have 4 string Bass Players is a different thing - We all know that a majority of popular bands also have sh*tty Bass lines in them with little exploration besides really simple root note lines.

And as virtuoso / ERB Bass playing is pretty much only respected by Bass players (and some Musicians) and is a waste in most popular Music, it leaves little reason to compare the need for Bassists in other more complicate/Bass friendly Music genres to have more strings/custom Basses to the "Popular Census". *I'm sorry if I mixed up what you said, just inform me if you meant other wise.
Quote by Kepulix
Ok, you just cleared that up for me, your not a Bassist, you just play Bass (maybe a Guitarist too?). Each to his own, I guess.
Quote by Kepulix
What's the point of a five string bass? Well it's obvious really - in any one position you have access to two full octaves. You don't need to be a virtuoso or be showing off to find this very useful in constructing great basslines. The fact that you don't need to change tunings unless you need a low A or lower is another big plus, but the lower notes aren't the main reason for a 5er.
Quote by screamsoftly

[In hillbilly accent] Well, dem dar 6-stringers are a tuned BEADGC, which-a mens dem tuned in da 4ths. Which a makes teh whole ting entirely da-different.[Ends hillbilly accent]

A 6-string bass is entirels different than a guitar. You would know that if you listened to your friend. Plus it's a couple octaves lower than guitar. Try playing a six-string chord on that bad boy and see what happens.
Here's the point of a five string bass. More notes.

What's the point of this thread?
I see a 5-string (in a band situation) as a way to have Drop D or lower tunings without having to tune down. I can understand a 5 or 6-string in a solo bassist situation. But for me, I can't stand playing a 5-string because the strings are too close together for my liking.
Last edited by Nighthawk551 at Feb 11, 2007,
Almost forgot, with a 5-string, you can play along with your tuba buddys. Try tuning a 4-string down to Bb. And you can take songs to the HNL (hoe nother level) by dropping them down to be played on your B string.
I can't really thing of anyone who has used their Low-B string in some sort of bass solo... the solos usually take place in the upper registers.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by canadianpunk071
No, it's not necessary, but it's nice to have.

AHH COMFORT! so true!

The way i see it: I hate the feel of: thin neck thin spaced 4 stringers, and thick spaced thick neck 5'ers and up.

So i only basically Like P-basses and Thin 5's.

Guess what i own? Semi-vintage Squier P (15+ yrs or so, was either 80's or early 90's)
and an Ibanez SR505 (The guy im quoting can relate.. read his sig )
Quote by thefitz
I can't really thing of anyone who has used their Low-B string in some sort of bass solo... the solos usually take place in the upper registers.

I dislike greatly when a bassist feels the need to go higher to solo.

One of my all time fav solo's is the one in Aeroplane - RHCP, because of its great feel and funktitude.

Besides the octave slides, The whole thing is done on the first Five frets. Half or so being a "C" on the A string or under.
I find the necks more comfortable, but I also find that the 5th string does not get in the way at all. I can play the same old 4-string stuff and not even notice the string. However, when I want to play those super-lows, what do I do if I was just playing a 4 string?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
just out of curiosity, how many people are on here wingeing about how other people are not bass players, when in all thought, you shouldn't be here to post in the first place cos ya should be practicing.......
i spend too much time here, not enough playing.
What a range of arguments here we have. Of course, it is preference. if the music you want to make requires you have a lower notes regularly, then rather that downtune all the time it's probably a good idea to get a five string bass. If you dont need those low notes in your music (like me), then it's as pointless as a condom machine in the vatican.

Why is it so hard for some people to understand that all musicians have different needs? Bob Marleys bassist wrote a lot of the early lines on a bass with one E string, and that was it. It was all he had, and he done just fine. Obviously he would've been sliding up and down the neck like a motherfcker, but all the notes you want are there, you are just limited to two octaves (or so!).

Different strokes for different folks.
Page 1 of 2