Im building my own body (I don't have the money to buy a ready cut one).
Im probably going to make an explorer style body, but I am unsure whether the bridge has to be a certain length from the last fret? I so how far away (Not sure whether im using 22 or 24 fret neck)?
Thanks
Warwick Jazzman
Hartke 1415 140Watt
Boss Overdrive
Measure the distance from the nut to the top of the 12th fret and double it. This is your scale length and should be the length from the nut to the high E saddle. The other saddles won't be the same once you set the intonation. Make sure the E string saddle is at its most forward position before you drill and fix the bridge.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
The bridge gets placed according to the scale length of the neck you're using. Say, you have a 24-3/4" neck, the bridge gets placed 24-3/4" away from the inside of the nut. The 12th fret is half the distance between 24-3/4" too.

So basically, if you're making the body you can put the bridge where-ever the hell you want as long as the nut is 24-3/4" away from it.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
the bridge has to be a certain distance from the nut, all the way at the top. this distance is determined by the scale lenght of the guitar

eg if the scale length of your build will be 25 1/2 " then that will be the distance between the nut and the bridge

edit: balls, beaten to it twice
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

Quote by AlGeeEater
So basically, if you're making the body you can put the bridge where-ever the hell you want as long as the nut is 24-3/4" away from it.

Chris

+1. But don't start cutting without a plan drawing. Make sure of what you're doing before you start.

Regards,

Rob