hey. im planning on buying a fretless bass, which ive found online. trouble is, ive never tried playing it, despite the rave reviews people have given it. another trouble: ive never played a fretless bass before, and there doesnt seem to be anywhere near me that sells fretless basses, so its extremely difficult for me to even try one. i love the fretless sound, ive been playing fretted bass for a while and i have a fair knowledge of the fretboard (please dont debate on how much knowledge this may be, i know where all the notes and intevals are) so...is this bad? should i not go with buying it?
i need to get a better signature.
If you want to take the chance then go for it but it may not turn out how you want it to be.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Fretless basses are not that hard to play. The notes are marked on the top of the fretboard and they sound SOO GOOD!!! I played a warwick fretless bass and it was the most amazing thing ever. They have them at guitar center. If youve been playing for a while you should have no trouble on fretless. It's SO COOL!!! Good luck tell us how it goes.
I did that and my bass turned out great. In fact, the only problem were faulty pickups that the company repaired anyway. Then again, I can't say that it'll work that way for every bass bought online. What bass are you considering, anyway (just out of curiosity)?
with amps that mightbe accpetable- but guitars/basses i would say no..
becasue it can be set up crapply, be damaged, be completely crap and shiz and you dont know what your getting
it might seem like alotta effort but contact the manufactuer to get a list of dealers and go to the nearest one to try it out
youll be happier that way
Quote by philipisabeast
with amps that mightbe accpetable- but guitars/basses i would say no..
becasue it can be set up crapply, be damaged, be completely crap and shiz and you dont know what your getting
it might seem like alotta effort but contact the manufactuer to get a list of dealers and go to the nearest one to try it out
youll be happier that way

1) the website im planning on buying from has lots of good reviews regarding the quality of its instruments. excellent reviews.
2) if i was to find where this bass was sold, it would probably be a train ride for me to get there. there is literally hardly any places at all in my city that sell fretless basses, let alone this particular bass.

i think ill take the chance.
Quote by Hergiswi
I did that and my bass turned out great. In fact, the only problem were faulty pickups that the company repaired anyway. Then again, I can't say that it'll work that way for every bass bought online. What bass are you considering, anyway (just out of curiosity)?

this one: http://www.piedog.com/musical_instruments/guitar/bass_guitars/fretless_bass_guitars/vintage-v940fl.htm
Quote by MATTTHEMOP

That's the exact one I'm considering! I played it in a local shop and it was a really nice bass for the price. Great for starting fretless on.
Quote by Bumper

Quote by smb
Isn't there a few people on here own that bass? They are pretty good for the price.

I know indie-metalhead does too
Quote by Bumper