god damn vonage ad screwed up my typing

Anyway how good at guitar should I get before I go out and actually try out a new amp that costs around $1000?

Should I try tuneport first?
As soon as you know you are going to stick with guitar, you can basically buy it whenever you want.
^^ +1

when it sound's bad to you or if you get in a band as well
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
Yeh don't listen to people who say you have to be amazing. As long as it increases your enjoyment go for it.
The Stuff!
I'd say build your chops first, but yeah, having a crap amp can be very uninspiring. Whenever you feel you're ready for a new one.
If you got the cash to buy a good amp do it....your going to improve at the same pace if not faster considering you will enjoy your new amp more.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die
When you feel like you're good enough and when you know you're going to devote your life into playing the guitar (well...maybe not THAT far, but yeah ).
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
when you know you would rather have no car and live off of Ramen Noodles than have a thousand dollars to blow on anything else
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
I started off with a god awful 10watt piece of crap that came with my starter guitar kit. I played it for about a year and was semi satisfied until I heard other amps. I went out and spent 150 bucks on a new Fender Frontman 25R and I was incredibly excited with it because it was so loud and so much nicer sounding. That got old as well and I eventually went out and bought a cab/head and that made me very happy which let me play with even more excitement. Having a bad amp is always discouraging to people. But as long as you haven't been playing for just a month and suck any time to get a new amp is fine. Don't make a HUGE jump from the size you have now because you will end up changing it again but if the next step for you is a head/cab make sure to get something fairly decent because they last for a long time.
Yeah, basically as soon as you know that you'll use it and it'll be worth the money. If you really feel you need a new amp because you're sick of you're old one then it's time.
Quote by hehepupitre
I started off with a god awful 10watt piece of crap that came with my starter guitar kit. I played it for about a year and was semi satisfied until I heard other amps. I went out and spent 150 bucks on a new Fender Frontman 25R and I was incredibly excited with it because it was so loud and so much nicer sounding. That got old as well and I eventually went out and bought a cab/head and that made me very happy which let me play with even more excitement. Having a bad amp is always discouraging to people. But as long as you haven't been playing for just a month and suck any time to get a new amp is fine. Don't make a HUGE jump from the size you have now because you will end up changing it again but if the next step for you is a head/cab make sure to get something fairly decent because they last for a long time.

A great deal of truth in hehepupitre's post here...