hey guys. the new guitar world had a issue on dimebag, so ive been inspired to play more like him (he knew 3 scales. that was all he knew on music theory) thus thrusting me back into the world of metal.

now i like the metal muff, but with every guitar i own, it gives me mud. flat out mud. how do i fix this? the treble is up real high. do i get an eq? new guitar? new pickups? help me! thank you

what i mean is, pantera has more of a trebly sound, not a darker sound. i want to know how to get this out of my gear.
Last edited by Arlabester at Feb 10, 2007,
to be honest i would say dimebag knew more than 3 scales, and that is no reason or u not to bother learning scales, also its probably your amp, get a similar amp to dimebag.
Quote by ch715dallat
to be honest i would say dimebag knew more than 3 scales, and that is no reason or u not to bother learning scales, also its probably your amp, get a similar amp to dimebag.

read this months issue of guitar world :P

its not the amp. its all tube, and i could get a metal sound out of it with my metal muff, i just dont know how.
Well, on my tube amp I just use my OD pedal with my big muff to get my metal sound. Why don't you try that? So just use your TS and your Big Muff Pi.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Dimebag played a Randall solid state his whole career. He almost never played any of the Krank he designed so his tone is not about tube. Get a Dean Razorback and a Randall T2 or V2. End of the story.
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
tube amps arent the best thing for metal
buy a death metal dist. pedal from boss
but if you dont think its you amp..... go for something with a pickup config of single coil single coil humbucker, that should get you a better metal sound
Turn the mids to at least 10 or 11 o clock. Also, you should try getting a bbe sonic stomp. It pretty much eliminates any mud from your sound if you put it at the end of your chain.

If you want my settings they are from right to left (in terms of clock position):
11.5/12, 11, 3, 10.5, 2, maxed
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Id suggest an Eq pedal

If you want a deep scooped metal sound make the smile curve on the EQ pedal
Quote by Ibzman
Dimebag played a Randall solid state his whole career. He almost never played any of the Krank he designed so his tone is not about tube. Get a Dean Razorback and a Randall T2 or V2. End of the story.

i know he did. i cant stand SS. so (and any guitar with hb's will work)

ill try that, i doubt itll work. whats your settings for it? (the v2 is tube btw)

i dont have an EQ yet. ill check out the sonic stomp.

the metal muff has volume, top boost, mids, treble, bass, distortion
Quote by ptftball24
tube amps arent the best thing for metal
buy a death metal dist. pedal from boss

isnt that from digitech?
People like the tighter more aggressive sound of SS for metal

Not always of course but they are popular for metal use.
Quote by Silky Smooth
People like the tighter more aggressive sound of SS for metal

Not always of course but they are popular for metal use.

oh. well my spider kinda ruined SS amps for me.
I have 500T's in my Explorers bridge and it's a good bitey tone try them out i think they sound good for pantara music.
Quote by Metal claw
I only ever do it whenever I get a new toothbrush. I just stuck the old one up my ass then threw it away when I was done.

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Quote by High_Frequency
I have 500T's in my Explorers bridge and it's a good bitey tone try them out i think they sound good for pantara music.

ehem. check right below my name.
I'm not saying try out Explorers i'm saying try out the 500T's even if their a gibson humbucker i still think you should try them, sorry for the miscommunication.
Quote by Metal claw
I only ever do it whenever I get a new toothbrush. I just stuck the old one up my ass then threw it away when I was done.

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
i think it has something to do with my metal muff. the controls for bass and mids are at 5, and the treble is at ten! whats the problem?
I would just say get a new pedal or go to a local guitar shop and start trying out guitars with different mixes of pedals and amps so as to find your missing link.
Quote by Metal claw

just scoop your mids, it might sound terrible, as dimebag tone *puts flame-shield on*

you will get those trebbly cleans
Quote by deluxity
just scoop your mids, it might sound terrible, as dimebag tone *puts flame-shield on*

you will get those trebbly cleans

:O you better put your flame shield on.
If its still too muddy with bass at 5, just turn down the bass and mids more. I had a Spider and a Metal Master pedal, and I had to have the Treble at 3, and the bass at 4 for it to sound decent any more on each, and the amp got either too muddy, or too brittle. Maybe try lowering the bass on your amp, and scooping the mids on your amp too.