So i have an Ibanez s470dxqm and im looking for a change of bridge pickup from the stock INF ones. I play things anywhere from metallica to Iron Maiden to ACDC to Steve Vai to Dragonforce to Van Halen. Ive been thinking about the Dimarzio super distortion because thats what the guys in Maiden used to use(well Adrian still does) but i dont know whether that fits with the other kinds of styles that i play. Ive also been considering the Evolution and the Breed. Any advice?
Quote by moulpatr
So i have an Ibanez s470dxqm and im looking for a change of bridge pickup from the stock INF ones. I play things anywhere from metallica to Iron Maiden to ACDC to Steve Vai to Dragonforce to Van Halen. Ive been thinking about the Dimarzio super distortion because thats what the guys in Maiden used to use(well Adrian still does) but i dont know whether that fits with the other kinds of styles that i play. Ive also been considering the Evolution and the Breed. Any advice?

well, the point of the super distortion is to push a tube amp into drive,

for the bands you're talking about, an Evolution would be good (steve vai, herman li and the other guy in dragonforce use them)

the evo would be the best choice
Duncan JB. it isn't the master of anything, but good at everything. good distortion and cleans, but not over the top like an EMG 81.
The Breeds the best choice by far, or possibly the Dimarzio Norton - their best all-rounder and a good, versatile pickup. The Evo's just plain wrong for your kind of stuff, the Super's good but can sound a bit dated.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
The Breeds the best choice by far, or possibly the Dimarzio Norton - their best all-rounder and a good, versatile pickup. The Evo's just plain wrong for your kind of stuff, the Super's good but can sound a bit dated.

May I ask why the Evo's are wrong for him?
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
May I ask why the Evo's are wrong for him?

Yes you may...

He's got a wide range of styles - Vai and Li do use Evo's but they're shredders, Evo's give you clarity, power and they scream like banshees. However, they won't do subtle, and they don't have a lot of warmth to then...they're very trebly. If he wants his guitar to be versatile then he'll need something a bit less extreme, with something like the Evo you've pretty much pigeonholed your sound.

Unless you have very specific requirements for your sound your best bet is always to get a hot (but not super-hot) pickup with a farily balanced tone that complements your guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i think the pickup im gonna get is the Breed. my other choice would be the super distortion but i was worried that it would be too dated sounding. Thanks for your help guys.
hmm.. maybe seymor jb4 great sound very organic
Quote by MedicreDemon
I've never heard this "Eruption" song.

Quote by srvman
^^^ but surely putting a flower on your guitar wouldnt be that stupid, or is a floyd rose like a stupid colour or something?
My gear:
Jackson DK2M
Squier Std Stratocaster
Frontman 15R
Digitech RP300A