can you take two single coils and make them into a humbucker?
Gear:
Ibanez RG320QS(For Sale) 275 shipped w/HSC!
My EVH Strat(for sale or trade) 195 shipped!
Meanstreet EVH guitar
Marshall MG15CDR Prac. Amp(for sale or trade)65 shipped!
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
*Coming* Crate GT1200H/G412SL Half Stack
look up Hot Rails, and other related pickups. its exactly what youre talking about
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Quote by JMO
can you take two single coils and make them into a humbucker?

Yes and no. You would have to use a standard single coil pickup and a rwrp single coil for it to buck the hum. Also, the single coil pickups are longer than humbuckers so you would have to do a bit of routing to make them fit. If you ask me, 2 single coil pickups wired together make a much MUCH nicer sounding high output pickup than the high output humbuckers.
Not taking any online orders.
It won't sound the same as the real humbucker because the pole pieces on single coils are alnico magnets, while the pole pieces on humbuckers are steel (or some metal). Humbuckers are also wired in series, when more often than not, when two singles are both activated, they're in parallel. If you do you may want to throw in a series/parallel switch.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
do you know of any websites that might tell you how?
Gear:
Ibanez RG320QS(For Sale) 275 shipped w/HSC!
My EVH Strat(for sale or trade) 195 shipped!
Meanstreet EVH guitar
Marshall MG15CDR Prac. Amp(for sale or trade)65 shipped!
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
*Coming* Crate GT1200H/G412SL Half Stack
Quote by boardsofcanada
look up Hot Rails, and other related pickups. its exactly what youre talking about

no its not you retard!
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Will_Minus
It won't sound the same as the real humbucker because the pole pieces on single coils are alnico magnets, while the pole pieces on humbuckers are steel (or some metal). Humbuckers are also wired in series, when more often than not, when two singles are both activated, they're in parallel. If you do you may want to throw in a series/parallel switch.

A series/parallel switch is always a handy thing to have.

If you don't use a switch this is what you need to do to wire them in series. Coil 1 should have a black wire and a white wire. Coil 2 should have a yellow wire and a black wire. The black wire from coil 2 is the ground. Whe white wire from coil 1 is hot. The black wire from coil 1 and the yellow wire from coil 2 get soldered together and taped off.

If you wire the pickups in parallel then you solder the 2 black wires together and that is your ground. Solder the yellow and white wire together and that is your hot.

Parallel wiring will sound thin and quiet. Series will be more like a humbucker but it will have more volume than a humbucker with the same DCR and it will have more trebble.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Feb 11, 2007,