Can you put a 24 fret neck on a guitar that was made with 22 frets?

The GRX neck on my GRX40 doesnt suit me and I would like a new neck with 24 frets, also thinner/faster like an RG or Jackson neck.

And hell, I cant really be bothered searching around for the answer to my next question so I may as well take to birds with one stone:
Can you take a FAT10 bridge out and replace it with a floyd rose without doing much/any woodwork?

PS, I know there isn't much point doing work on a cheap guitar but i think a new neck and mabie slightly better pickups is not overkill.
theres alot of points of doing work on a cheap guitar..

and www.warmoth.com
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I think the 22-24 fret conversion depends on your current stlye neck. Does it have any frets that overhang onto the body?? if so the probably wont be able to do it as the extra two frets will cause the neck to run into the first single coil. And if it doesnt overhang it would be possible but ya have to make sure ya get a similar neck with a similar heal so that it sits in their tight. Finally it would be possible to convert to a floyd but would result in a good bit of routing and having to make new anchors and stuff.
My Gear

Digitech GNX2
Jasmine by Takamine Acoustic
Agile LP3000 Prestige
Crate MX65R
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500M
Last edited by AnthonyG at Feb 10, 2007,
Quote by AnthonyG
I think the 22-24 fret conversion depends on your current stlye neck. Does it have any frets that overhang onto the body?? if so the probably wont be able to do it as the extra two frets will cause the neck to run into the first single coil. And if it doesnt overhang it would be possible but ya have to make sure ya get a similar neck with a similar heal so that it sits in their tight. Finally it would be possible to convert to a floyd but would result in a good bit of routing and having to make new anchors and stuff.

wouldnt an overhang be more suited for a conversion from a 22 fret into a 24 fret
with a 24 fret with no overhang, you end up making the scale longer and may cause intonation problems.

but of course you may lose your neck pickups with a 24 fret overhang neck

*PS: you can use a neck pickup, provided your guitar has a swimming pool routing and a custom made pick guard for the neck pickup to be placed further inwards
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Last edited by ~Andrea-Angel~ at Feb 13, 2007,
well, prettymuch no, you cant really do it and expect good things to happen, it throws your intonation way off, so your guitar might become unintonateable, and seriously, you'll never use the extra 2 frets, they're mostly useless, and way too hard to play on for comfort.

now granted there are ways to get those 2 extra frets, they just arent really worth the trouble
@sempri_fi: Who told you that? I see a lot of lies in that post. Well, not lies as much as statements made by someone who doesn't use 24 frets himself.

I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to cram a 24-fret neck onto your body. You will probably need to make the scale length longer, but that doesn't mean your intonation will be fucked forever. Seriously, the bridge is the same on a 24-fretter as it is on a 22, so you'll just need to adjust the saddles.

At least, that's what I assume, based on my logic circuits.
[quote="Pikka Bird
I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to cram a 24-fret neck onto your body. You will probably need to make the scale length longer, but that doesn't mean your intonation will be fucked forever. Seriously, the bridge is the same on a 24-fretter as it is on a 22, so you'll just need to adjust the saddles.
QUOTE]

you dont have to extend the scale length if the 23 and 24th fret are overhang
Sempri-Fe is half-right, but it all comes down to your neck. Seriously, you won't use the extra two notes that much, since it's high up the neck you should be able to bend into anything around the E.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by ~Andrea-Angel~

you dont have to extend the scale length if the 23 and 24th fret are overhang

True, but most guitars have the pickup right up flush with the fretboard, so there would not very often be room for an overhang.
if his guitar has a swimming pool routing, he can get a new pickguard to mount his pickups on, that way his neck pickup wont be lost
I will have to admit that I have no idea what kind of rout the GRX has. But it certainly has a pickguard, so even without a pool rout, he could easily expand it. Not the worst idea, Andrea.