Page 1 of 2
I've been playing for around 8 months and I still suck, of course..
but last year I spent $800 on a new guitar that had been hanging at Guitar Center for a while. I was a newb and was just excited about getting a new, great guitar with a color I liked. I tried a few things with it and it's always sounded ok but I still have something in my head that it might not be great. What should I do to go about finding out whether or not it's a great guitar? I don't mean the model itself I just mean my specific guitar, because you know each guitar is built differently.
Harmony Central is a good place to find user reviews for guitar models...

But, if you want to find out about your specific guitar take it to someone who has been playing for a long time and is good at it and let them play it and tell you what they think.
Right..it would help if you told us the brand/model of your guitar. Let's say that a 2006 Squier and a Les Paul are two different things, even though they are all built differently, as you said...
Brokeback Lego - Animation Movie I Made

Quote by \GuitarHero/
Our band mascot is a Muffin.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who aren't close-minded morons.
It all depends on what you're trying to play with it. Some guitars aren't set up to play certain styles of music. There are alot of factors that come into play when it comes to your style of music. What kind of guitar is it and what kind of music do you play?
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
I didn't say the model just so I would avoid causing confusion...I believe the specific model I have is a good model but what I'm asking is how I should go about finding out whether my specific guitar is up to snuff

I like to play classical, classic rock, rock like RHCP.. nothing metal/shred though
Dude. The guitar and your gear is important information. Why are you witholding it? Are you afraid that you got jerked into buying a piece of shit guitar for 800 bucks? if it was 800 bucks it must be of fair quality. OK guitars can be bought for 400 bucks. I'm pretty sure you guitar is fine. Now what is it?
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
Dude if I spent $800 on a guitar, I would brag my ass off about it. Why not just tell us the make and model? For $800 I'm sure it's nothing horrible.
Quote by lottdod
2004/2005 American Stratocaster

With this guitar, you just have to possess a kickass amp and it will sound terrific.
Brokeback Lego - Animation Movie I Made

Quote by \GuitarHero/
Our band mascot is a Muffin.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who aren't close-minded morons.
so you have an american strat and have been playing for 8 months???
I think that deserves some kind of bragging...
Ok see I'm not saying "does my model suck" I'm asking, how do I go about testing my specific piece of wood and strings to see if it was made well or not?

I'm saying that being a newb I didn't know how to test it when I bought it...
Right but don't brag, dude. What are you plugging that guitar into? Let's hope it's nothing like a line 6.
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
Quote by lottdod
Ok see I'm not saying "does my model suck" I'm asking, how do I go about testing my specific piece of wood and strings to see if it was made well or not?

I'm saying that being a newb I didn't know how to test it when I bought it...

The strings do not matter. You REPLACE THOSE.

As for the wood... I'm sure if they have it up on the shelf.. and they sell it to you for 800 bucks... the wood is fine. If you want to know what KIND of wood it is, look up specs on your guitar. If you want to know the produtcion quality of it, find out where it was made.
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
dude ur guitar doesnt suck its u who sucks
u can have a 1000 dollar guitar and make it not sound good unless u no how to play
after playing for 8 months ur not goin to be a ****in master u should have just bought a starter guitar when u started out use some common sense
my gear:
Schecter Damien 6 w/emg's
gibson sg standard
dean performer e acou/elec
ibanez tone blaster=[
ibanez ts7 tubescreamer
boss ds-1
boss sd-1
dunlop crybaby from hell wah
i really don't think this kid knows what he's talking about.

maybe its your lack of knowledge that's shitty.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
i really don't think this kid knows what he's talking about.

maybe its your lack of knowledge that's shitty.

Give us some more info... what amp do you use, whats wrong with it when you say it sucks... etc...! Also go have it set up by a pro if you haven't already... you'll probably notice a difference.
... because you don't know what you're asking.

edit: glad you enjoyed that alrabester
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

An american strat....

I'm speechless.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
You dont necessarily have to buy a starter kit. I think it's cool that you bought a good guitar to start out with. Maybe you're just being over analytical. Your guitar is fine. The wood is good quality. It would have never came from the factory if the guitar's wood sucked. It's a good guitar. Stick with it.
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
Quote by UnsignedRecords
... because you don't know what you're asking.

I did
people just kept asking "What model this/that are you using?"

My question wasn't "does this model guitar suck" it was "how do I go about finding if MY guitar sucks"
dude ur the one whos not ****in gettin it
u think its ur guitar thats makin u suck or that it sucks but it doesnt no mia strat for 800 sucks its just u the player who does get that in ur ****in head
start practicin more
my gear:
Schecter Damien 6 w/emg's
gibson sg standard
dean performer e acou/elec
ibanez tone blaster=[
ibanez ts7 tubescreamer
boss ds-1
boss sd-1
dunlop crybaby from hell wah
Quote by dimebag4eva
dude ur the one whos not ****in gettin it
u think its ur guitar thats makin u suck or that it sucks but it doesnt no mia strat for 800 sucks its just u the player who does get that in ur ****in head
start practicin more

Well you see I already said I know I suck. I know my amp sucks. I know everything BUT the guitar sucks (For certain). So my concern is, since I don't have the ability to determine the quality, how do I go about finding out if my guitar is good quality or not.
you don't. it matters how it sounds. and if it's driving you crazy, smash it to pieces, take a wood sample to a lab and have them analyze it for you
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Take it to someone who's good at playing, have them plug it into a good amp, and let him have at it.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by lottdod
and somehow you all aren't gettin it

Getting WHAT? You asked us if your guitar was shitty, then told us nothing about it. What the hell do you want to know? How good the string and wood is? We can't answer that. If you want us to get it, ask us something that makes sense.
Quote by lottdod
I did
people just kept asking "What model this/that are you using?"

My question wasn't "does this model guitar suck" it was "how do I go about finding if MY guitar sucks"

You go about finding if it sucks by asking people who would know. We are those people, but you won't ask us.
Quote by lottdod
Well you see I already said I know I suck. I know my amp sucks. I know everything BUT the guitar sucks (For certain). So my concern is, since I don't have the ability to determine the quality, how do I go about finding out if my guitar is good quality or not.

Its good quality. There. Now you know. Fuck.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by lottdod
2004/2005 American Stratocaster

It's an American Strat.

It doesn't suck.

[/thread]

If you're so worried about the wood and everything, here. It's alder. Great tonewood.

Model Name American Stratocaster®
Model Number 011-7400-(Color #) and 011-7402-(Color #)
Series American Series
Colors (700)* 3-Color Sunburst, *add $50.00,
(712) Candy Cola,
(705) Olympic White,
(706) Black,
(744) Shoreline Gold,
(750) Butterscotch Blonde,
(769) Charcoal Frost Metallic,
(Polyurethane Finish)
Body Alder
Neck Maple, Modern “C” Shape,
(Satin Polyurethane Finish)
Fingerboard Rosewood (p/n 011-7400) or Maple (p/n 011-7402), 9.5” Radius (241mm)
No. of Frets 22 Medium Jumbo Frets
Pickups 3 American Strat® Single-Coil Pickups
Controls Master Volume,
Tone 1. (Neck Pickup),
Tone 2. New Delta Tone™
(“Delta Tone” system includes high output bridge pickup and special No-Load tone control for Middle and Bridge Pickups)
Pickup Switching 5-Position Blade:
Position 1. Bridge Pickup
Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup
Position 3. Middle Pickup
Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup
Position 5. Neck Pickup
Bridge American 2-Point Synchronized Tremolo with Stainless Steel Saddles
Machine Heads Fender®/Schaller® Deluxe Staggered Cast/Sealed Tuning Machines
Hardware Chrome
Pickguard 3-Ply Parchment On:
(700)* 3-Color Sunburst, add $50.00,
(705) Olympic White,
(706) Black,
(712) Candy Cola,
(744) Shoreline Gold,
(769) Charcoal Frost Metallic,
1-Ply Black On:
(750) Butterscotch Blonde
Scale Length 25.5” (648 mm)
Width at Nut 1.6875” (43 mm)
Unique Features “Parchment” Knobs and Pickup Covers,
Original Headstock Shape,
Original Body Shape with “Original Contour Body” Decal on Headstock,
Rolled Fingerboard Edges,
H/S/H Pickup Routing
Strings Fender® Super Bullets® 3250L, Nickel Plated Steel, (.009 to .042), p/n 073-3250-003
Accessories Standard Molded Case
Case Standard Molded Case
Introduced 6/2000
Notice Product Prices, Features And Specifications Are Subject To Change Without Notice

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Maybe...just maybe, you're making the guitar suck? Perhaps? Hmm...
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Vornik
Getting WHAT? You asked us if your guitar was shitty, .

No no no I didn't ask if my guitar was shitty
Quote by Jinskee
Maybe...just maybe, you're making the guitar suck? Perhaps? Hmm...

Yeah it's probable. I've even entertained the thought of quitting guitar after realizing I probably wont get famous from it even if I DO get great.
Worried my guitar sucks...

read your own title. youve got your answer. go practice, and leave this forum when you have more skill and knowlage. thats the best way to not get flamed.

WHO CARES IF YOUR FAMOUS!? GUITAR IS ABOUT LOVING TO PLAY IT! NOT IF YOUR RICH AND FAMOUS!
Well my #1 priority was to get good with the guitar to get rich and famous so I could escape a miserable existance and shove it into the faces of all those who hated me in the past. Dead serious too
Quote by lottdod
Well my #1 priority was to get good with the guitar to get rich and famous so I could escape a miserable existance and shove it into the faces of all those who hated me in the past. Dead serious too

well that is an awful reason to play. its about loving what you do.
To be honest I think it's almost guaranteed to be that my amp sucks.. I would just like some peace of mind
Page 1 of 2